New bioactive terrarium!

I just wanted to post the second bioactive I’ve made. I just finished it a few days ago. It’s for one of my cresteds Mercury.

14 Likes

#goals

It’s so beautiful! I like what you did on the left wall. AND THE COCONUT!

What are the pink leaves in the middle?

6 Likes

Thank you so much! The plant is a polka dot plant also sometimes sold under their scientific name Hypoestes phyllostachya.

3 Likes

I have used polka dot plants, they don’t fair well with grown up Cresties, at least not my Cresties lol but are great to look at.

Amazing enclosure, would love to to see it when it’s established? And also a pic of your Crestie :grin: Are you going to put anything through the middle of the enclosure like a bridge?

5 Likes

Looking good, though branches are a must! Without enough climbing objects it may result in your Crestie getting floppy tail syndrome.

7 Likes

This is my first time using polka dot plants, if they get crushed it’s all good they can always be replaced :joy:

This is the little dude in question, he hates everyone but it’s ok we’re working on it haha

I wasn’t originally planning to add anything to the middle but now that you both mention it I think I will

7 Likes

These are the only branches I have lying around the house atm. Do you guys think these are sufficient or should I get more?

And seriously thank you both for letting me know, constructive criticism is always welcomed and appreciated!

Also I figured I should add this as a side note mercury is not In the tank yet I’m letting it acclimate first. I’ll add him in in about a month.

5 Likes

I try to let my plants settle before adding a Gecko too. Although it didn’t help the polka dots lol

Yes, I’d suggest more climbing options for the middle of the enclosure.

He has a smirk :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

I’d recommend using larger branches (cork bark branches work great). Overall, I’d say it looks great.

5 Likes

I just found this piece of spider wood that in forgot I had. and I should have mentioned earlier that he has a feeding ledge as well that goes on the front glass.
Do you guys think this is good? Of course I’m still totally open to getting more branches if need be!

5 Likes

I would recommend having a branch that goes higher and that the gecko can hide behind and easily climb on. From my experience spider wood molds very easily.

5 Likes

Ok that’s great to know! I’ll start looking for something more suitable the next time I go to my local shop. Once I find something I’ll try to post an update!

6 Likes

Definitely something higher!

I like to use bridges for up top

6 Likes

Defo more branches. They do use them :blush:

8 Likes

Really digging that left wall. Cool idea with the bamboo slats. I might have to co-op that for one of my future enclosures. Beautiful plants! Also what Erie mentioned is a good call…The cresties I got in bioactive really enjoy cork logs and aside from one (got 4 bioactives) all of them use every branch and inch of the enclosure. Got one older gal who came from a home where she was in a smaller enclosure with two other females and she tends to stake out a branch in the upper corner. (Even though she’s got tons of room to wander and hide) but she’s starting to come round :joy:

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m hoping the lemon lime phlidendron starts climbing the bamboo and I’m propagating some pothos cuttings that I hope will do the same thing. I’m hoping mercury will become more active once switched over. My other crested Jupiter was a bump on a log before he got his bioactive but now he never stops moving haha

3 Likes

That’s actually a brilliant idea! (For the climbers). Post pics as everything grows out, mine are a work in progress too. Some plants do good. Some not so good. Even depends on the individual gecko (one of ours had a dance party in his pepperomia (spelling?) and completely trampled it. :joy: Only a few sprigs remain though other ones are doin great with other geckos. I always love seeing other peoples bioactives since my husband and I recently got into them too. And the babies seem to like them. Hahah

2 Likes

I’ll definitely do updates! In my first bioactive I had a rabbits foot fern, a creeping fig, and a fittionia that all got trampled haha those have long since been replaced. But now I think I will have to replace one of the replacements, an in-joy pothos that’s variegation can’t seem to handle the grow light.

2 Likes

I’ve had no luck with creeping fig either….Which is a shame because it looks so cool in my opinion :frowning:

2 Likes

If it’s small and on the bottom you bet your Crestie will mess it up :joy:

Especially when breeding my females like to dig up plants :blush:

Males on the other hand I’ve found you can keep a lot more with and no issues.

3 Likes