New Morph? The Wrecking Ball Project

Wrecking Ball Project: Sometimes Dinkers do prove out. This is a project we have been working on for the past 9 years or so to prove out. Mom was purchased a long time ago as a “wild fancy import”. We just really liked the way her pattern was just kind of melty looking and no alien heads, so we took a chance on her. We bred her the first time to a yellowbelly brite (fire) and got this male that kind of had the same melty looking pattern as mom, so we held him back. Then we tried her with a Potion to see if what if anything would come out of that. We didn’t really see anything that resembled mom out of that clutch. The male from the first pairing was up to size to bred the next season, so we bred son back to mom and got some interesting results. These two that had a very strong melted pattern like mom and this crazy orange pied thing. The following season we tired to pair mom again with her son to see if we could get more pieds but she decided she did not want to give us anymore eggs for the next two years. We weren’t getting or hopes up this year that she was going to give us eggs, but we decided to try the weird orange pied that she had produced to see what would happen. Well these are the results. 5 very orange crazy pieds and 3 more that are like mom but more extreme. We hoping to find out if this is new line of pied or if it is compatible to the existing line of pied. Keep in mind none of these babies have orange dream or yb in them or any other morph. Let me know what your thought are, i am interested to hear what everyone thinks.

Mom

Son from first pairing
Pied son from pairing mom back to first son, he is the dad to this resent clutch.

60 Likes

Very Cool Project!! Im really digging this!

Good on you for sticking it out!!

4 Likes

Thanks! It was hard to continue to for awhile there when the original girl didn’t want to produce 2 years running.

6 Likes

Must feel pretty rewarding when you invested so many years in a project and it finally pays of.

I can see why you would have picked out that female she is really nice.

6 Likes

Love this! Very cool project…

2 Likes

Thanks Lee! i am pretty excited about it :wink:

3 Likes

Man that is awesome looking…it’s kool to see that out of a wild caught normal you were able to produce pieds…awesome can’t wait to see more

2 Likes

Thanks Tim. Never would have thought we were going to get a pied, talk about shocked when we hit the first one.

3 Likes

Very nice. Will you be holding them all back or selling any?

1 Like

we have not really decided yet on letting anything go. depends on what comes out of some other pairings. :wink:

3 Likes

Mary,
Congrats to you and Grant on this project. Love what this mutation is doing…color and pronounced dorsal stripe on the pieds look great. Will be interesting to see how well they maintain their color as they age.

6 Likes

Awesome! Great job seeing it through. Can’t wait to see what the future brings. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks Don :wink: The orginal pied male still looks just as bright orange.

Wow…I can’t wait to see what you’ve got planned in the near future for this project!!!

3 Likes

looks very interesting love it!

2 Likes

Awesome clutch! That my friends is part of why we love this hobby so much! To see the vision & have the determination & patience to see it through then; have it pay off in a brand new, never before seen way!

3 Likes

Update: We bred the pied male to an unrelated het pied and hatched out pieds, so it is not a new/different line of pied. I will post some pics of those hatchlings, they have not shed yet. The first pieds from the first clutch has all shed and i am really happy with the way they turned out.

From Pied x het pied

Babies from mom x pied clutch all shed out.

9 Likes

Technically she is a new line since you bought her as an import and YOU proved her out, she is a different line but she is compatible with other Pieds just like what happened to Justin

7 Likes

Yoooo these are absolutely awesome! So cool to see new genes continuously proven out. Any idea on a “release date,” so to speak? :wink:

4 Likes

took a comparison shot last night. dinker project pied and a regular pied. What do you guys think?

9 Likes