New York to BAN shipping of ALL ANIMALS

HEADS UP To anyone who lives in NEW YORK: This bill seeks to ban the shipping of all mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. This included shipments within, into and from the state (both import and export). Per the bill, shipping via any “mail carrier” will be banned so that includes the commonly utilized overnight services from major carriers such as FedEx and UPS (for verified shippers).
https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/shipping-ban-in-ny-bill-a04611?bucket&source=facebook-share-button&time=1613477970&utm_campaign&utm_source=facebook&share=4589ddb7-6ba3-44b9-8cd3-fd4457e37410&fbclid=IwAR1zH1DVT5UQlqf_ifpQm1kVWdEYB48_MIVPNVI68C3EKsFrtRvk1LXL6lY

13 Likes

This not just for NEW YORK. if they are allowed to ban shipping in that state they will try it in other places.

9 Likes

Dangerous and stupid tbh. What’s the reasoning behind the bill? Anyone have any insight?

4 Likes

They are using the pandemic as reasoning to say reptiles and other animals could in the future end up creating another pandemic. This law proposal also includes dogs and cats so it covers a very broad spectrum of the pet trade.
Some new reptiles laws are also trying to go to committee in South Carolina.
If these bills pass, it’s just the beginning and many more will come to follow.
Even in Florida they may try to ban Ball Pythons and Bearded Dragons, so this is getting out of hand quick.

8 Likes

I kinda understand that tbh, because BPs could easily become yet another invasive species (Hawaii already banned them). Not sure if bearded dragons would survive the humidity well though.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but how can you understand that? Is it possible for them to survive in Florida, perhaps, but do we really want a state to even considering banning the most popular pet snake in the industry, absolutely not.
Any animal especially reptile ban is not good for our hobby, once they start they don’t stop.
And Florida Fish and Wildlife dump so many herbicide’s into their natural waterways to keep it clear for fisherman. So if they cared so much about the environment why do that?
Like anything else in this country it’s all about the money.

8 Likes

I care more about the environment we live in than the keeping of the animals I love. Never heard of herbicides being dumped in Florida (and when I have gone there the waterways ain’t clear) so I feel that is irrelevant when talking of invasive species. With the damage that has been done from the invasive species Florida already has, I can see them banning many more animals or putting stricter regulations on them. In the future I wouldn’t be surprised if they have to be kept in hurricane proof buildings/enclosures as well as mircro chipped just like venomous snakes. Now if Maine or Alaska did something like that it wouldn’t make sense, and I wouldn’t support it at all since they can’t become invasive.

7 Likes

Fish and Wildlife of Florida doesn’t make a point for the public to know.
Ever hear of Peacock Bass? It’s a sport fish Florida introduced that’s not native to that region. Peacock bass eat anything they can fit into their mouth, devouring many of the native fish found in Florida.
So how is that acceptable to introduce an invasive species like the Peacock bass but ban other potential invasive species like Balls? Why because they don’t make money on Balls, but they make plenty of money off the fisherman who come down to get a trophy Peacock Bass.

9 Likes

Pretty sure that statement is false given all of the reptile expos they have with the mass majority of things sold being BPs. The state sees a pretty penny of money from expos if they are anything like Indiana.

2 Likes

You need to research the destruction the cane industry did around Lake Okeechobee, and the subsequent effects down stream into the Everglades and coastal flats. Habitat destruction and lack of habitat retention when land is available for sale is far more invasive. Homes all to way to the edge of the Everglades and then people complaining about bugs and then spraying for everything under the sun is more destructive as the toxins sequester into the soil and surrounding habitat elements. But those elements don’t garner attention.

And given how prevalent Peter’s rock agamas are, I’d venture that beardies could easily establish and thrive in FL.

5 Likes

Due some research and see how much the state makes on sport fishing, it’s no where near what they make in reptile fees for shows. Not even in the same ball park.

2 Likes

We are getting off-topic of the main issue here. As stated, this is irrelevant when talking of animal regulations because we all know the government doesn’t think they are the same. It is my opinion that regulation of animals in places that have fragile ecosystems (Florida, Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia, etc.) is not the worst thing in the world. Proper conservation of the environment requires you to look at more than just habitat destruction (and we all know that won’t stop so long as humans keep expanding, which will never stop).

3 Likes

You said they don’t make money on BPs. Which by your statement here is false. They may not make as much, but they do make some. Also, sport fishing ain’t just for peacock bass. Ocean sport fishing is much more expensive and brings more profit.

2 Likes

To be honest, I view habitat destruction as a valid, on-topic counter argument. The concern is for whether a species may or may not become invasive. Invasive is a broad paint brush, though typically viewed in the context of the establishment of a non-native population.

However, in the context of the NY proposal it may not have merit - at the moment. I see this as a knee-jerk reaction to potential over-reach transportation regs already on the books from an agricultural element. NM has regs that require various standards and testing are met for transport of wildlife, agg stock, etc.; I’m assuming NY may have similar. I’d also like to see unbiased science justifying such a proposal for NY, but that’s just me thinking via my biology degree.

3 Likes

For NY it is probably a knee jerk reaction, yes. Fears of more zoonotic diseases sprouting up most likely, even though there are things that can be done to prevent that outside of banning all shipping. Maybe just ban wild-caught imports, or just put testing regulations in place. Captive bred animals shouldn’t be an issue unless they come in contact with wild animals.

4 Likes

It doesn’t just hinder New York. There is a prominent breeder in the gecko trade that comes to the U S from Canada to ship from there. It would block people around the country from receiving any goods from them. That is one example.
We are in Florida. We have lots of non natives and “invasive” here. I have seen most of them that you have mentioned and there are a few most people don’t know of if you don’t live here. I understand conservation is important but just as @mnroyals stated the state has introduced some of these. Some were on purpose like the peacock bass or the different species of carp that are some form of GMO fish mess. If they start banning things in one place the others will start to feel “froggy” and jump on the band wagon. It does not matter if you don’t keep a tegu still sign a petition. It doesn’t matter that you don’t live in New York sign a petition. They will come for your reptile next. I spoke to an Fwc officer the other day who couldn’t tell what the class 3 license was for. Those are the people who are going to have to enforce these laws.

8 Likes

Simple…BAN would have WAY more cons vs pros.

Like some said…Next thing they do is BAN it in every state. Then they come after the animals in your home…Its snowballs.

4 Likes

I just signed, including a comment clarifying that I am a licensed veterinarian and providing my credential number. I strongly oppose the measure. I encourage everyone to unite and not squabble over the issue at hand.

17 Likes

Can we please keep the conversation civil and on the original topic.

5 Likes