OMG! I'm a daddy!

Escapee finally gave birth to 24 healthy babies! No stillborn or slugs!!

32 Likes

Wow! That’s a lot of babies :heart_eyes:. Happy to hear there were no stillborns!

5 Likes

Happy to hear that they are all healthy! They are beautiful :heart:.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone! This is both hers and my first ever litter! Poor girl looks like a tube of toothpaste.

5 Likes

14 Likes

They are so cute! Congratulations!

3 Likes

Congratulations grandad!!
Look at them all 🥲❤️

3 Likes

So cool! They all look amazing! I’m hoping to breed sand boas in a couple years.

2 Likes

Congratulations look at all the little cute worms. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m not surprised popping that many babies out! :rofl:

3 Likes

How do you guys care for your newborns @westridge and community? Currently I split them into 2 baby bins on moistened paper towels with a shallow water dish until they shed in about a week or so. I will then give them each their own baby bin and attempt feeding afterwards. Am I doing everything right? Is it bad to keep them on damp paper towels until their first shed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

3 Likes

We clean, weigh and sex them, then separate into individual tubs with damp paper towels and nothing else. They don’t need a water bowl yet because they are still absorbing yolk. Some people keep them together until they shed, which is not wrong, but we prefer to be able to tell what is going on with each baby individually. After they shed, they get dry paper towel substrate and a water bowl, and then we start trying to feed them.

7 Likes

Congratulations on all those cuties!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I’m so proud of my girl! Just changed out their paper towels and weighed them all. 1 runt at 8 grams, 18 at 9 grams and 5 overachievers at 10 grams. All the babies still appear to be healthy and lively!

7 Likes

They’re so tiny and adorable!! I can’t believe they have that many

4 Likes

They are beautiful babies. Congratulations

4 Likes

Just an update.
All but 1 baby has shed and I have gotten 17 of them to eat their first meals! I’ll try feeding again on Sunday. If they don’t take f/t then I’ll get them some live pinks to try Monday.

1 Like

And a spoiler of the first baby that ate for me!!

9 Likes

How long do you wait before trying to assist feed your baby Kenyans? I have gotten all but 6 to take atleast their first meal and am going to pick up some live pinks today for them to try. They were all born on the the 13th of October and I don’t want to wait to long to try to intervene. I really appreciate all of the knowledge that you bring to the forum, and look up to you as a great source of information on kenyan sand boas! Thank you!!!

Assist feeding snakes is very stressful for them, and can actually make them less inclined to eat. Only assist feed if the snake has lost 15% or more of its body weight. You should weigh baby snakes frequently and record their progress.

3 Likes