Options for raising humidity/decreasing humidity in snakes and lizards enclosures

Just thought this would be like a good topic for everyone to share how they as a keeper deal with this common problem if you have dealt with fluctuations in humidity in your house during summer months and also in winter months. Personally I spray my snake enclosure to raise the humidity, And when my humidity is too high I tend to turn on a small heating lamp that I purchased with my glass terraria that he is moving out of.

1 Like

for make higher the humidity in my baos enclosures I just get a big water bottle and I make little holes in the cap and it became like a “shower”

1 Like

Coconut core, live plants , decent sized water bowls near the heat source or multiple bowls. Spagnom moss mixed into the substrate. Are the main ways I keep or raise humidity.

Removing it I use good ventilation and overhead heat to lower it but it can dry out the enclosure/Substrate. I also keep some dry coconut core to mix in if I over saturated an area or need to dry an area out. Adding a low wattage light can draw some out as well. I’ve seen people mention hiding a sock full of rice in something like a bearded cage. Makes sense.

1 Like

Hi guys. Newbie Panic Attack. So, 40 breeder tank. screen top with tin foil where lights arent. Huge water container with heater in it. I can’t get the humidity up in my nile monitor (baby) tank. Its at 20%! I mist and mist. I’m going to try pouring water on the rock substrate, but that is my last choice as the bottom of the tank has a large crack. Can I buy a water fall? Humidifer!? I’m worried about the little guy as he arrived about frozen to death (stupid shipper didn’t put any heat in!). He just keeps hiding. It’s been 3 days now without food. Advice please. And yes, you can yell at me.

1 Like

What kind of hygrometer do you have? If it’s one of the little gauge ones you buy the pet store I recommend you buy another one, of course before freaking out, lol

Well, it is, but to be honest, I live in high desert and it is DRY. I noticed someone else who posted the same problem lives near me. (Eastern Washington). I’m more than willing to run out and buy a mister or whatever, just need help with what’s best. Also, since by baby monitor is just hiding for 2 days now, should I take her out and put her in a smaller area where I can make sure she is ok and try and feed her? Thank you!

1 Like

With monitors you typically want to just try to feed them and let them slowly over time come to you (overtime) and get used to you through gradually, cleaning days and feeding sessions.

1 Like

I think the “rock substrate” is the problem. Switch to something that holds humidity and allows burrowing, like Eco Earth.

2 Likes

Rock substrate is terrible for humidity. A mix of top soil without fertilizer, eco earth, and sphagnum moss is ideal for burrows and humidity. Also, never ever force handling with a monitor. They take a long time to settle in, and need an even longer time to build trust. They also need a lot of space and enrichment, so an even smaller enclosure than you already have isn’t ideal.

Nile monitors are not the easiest to tame from what I have heard as well. Here is a good starter video on them.

2 Likes

sphagnum moss balls wrapped in cheesecloth soaked every couple days during shed works great for ball pythons. we have full shed every time.

make sure your snake get into the cheesecloth

1 Like

Thanks! I’m not a “pet them” reptile keeper. I have no problem with her hiding. I just want to make sure she is eating and ok… I’m not sure at what point I should panic. Thanks to all for the advice, I will change the substrate tomorrow.

1 Like

Now I’m REALLY confused. Over on “Underground Reptiles” under Monitor Lizards, it says this:

• Living In Hot Arid Areas Near The Nile River

So, do Nile Monitors live in dry area or wet area? I mean to be honest, I was thinking “Nile” could be dry or forest… Any help appreciated.

1 Like

Just because it’s an arid area does not always imply that the humidity levels are low. Personally from what I’ve read humidity levels should be between 50 and 70%

1 Like