Pac-Man frog

I was thinking about getting one. Wanted to know more about them from someone that has experience with them.
I have watched YouTube videos. It sounds like they are great little frogs to have.
They come in a lot of different colors and
Prices depending on what kind you get.
Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

They’re pretty straight-forward in terms of care. They just… don’t do anything. Low maintenance but quite boring. Have you considered any other frog species?

2 Likes

A friend has all different types. Cool frogs to be honest. But as said. Sit there and do nothing. Just like my southern toad. :joy:

1 Like

No, I have been just looking at the pac-man frog. They are very beautiful and they are not picky at what they eat. They will eat just about anything from what I have seen. Unlike my ball pythons. I like low maintenance animals. What other frogs would you suggest?

1 Like

Most frogs are voracious eaters. They’ll eat anything that comes in front of them. I personally like White’s tree frogs. They’re quite easy to find and just as easy to take care of. You can also cohabitate them. Provided they’re all roughly the same size.

1 Like

Just keep in mind they’re arboreal. Where as pacman stay at the bottom. So did you want arboreal?
There’s loads of different morphs of pacman though. They are cool and get big and chunky :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They really do, but if you want the chunkiest frog get an African bullfrog (pixie frog). Now they are huge :joy:

1 Like

Yes I saw those African frogs also on YouTube. They are gigantic. I only saw one color of those. But I really haven’t been looking for those. I’d rather have one that doesn’t jump around all over the place. I would never catch them if they jumped out of the enclosure. LOL!
I’m still looking and researching.

1 Like

Do you have any must-haves? or is it fairly flexible? There’s dozens of species that could potentially fit your bill. Let us know what you want in a frog and we can go from there.

1 Like

How many species of frogs are there like the Pac-Man frog?
Low maintenance, colorful, and fun to watch and handle once in a while.
Nothing venomous or poison producing LOL! I’m open to more ideas.
I have 2 ball pythons and 3 leopard geckos. I love both. I like 6 years to retirement. I have plans to get more ball pythons and raise some babies.
Nothing to the scale of some people, maybe about 8 or 10.
I also have chickens, 2 senior horses, 1 dog who is 14 years old and 4 pet rats.

2 Likes

I immediately thought of dart frogs when you said colorful, but those more delicate and don’t tolerate handling very much. I think your best options would be either White’s tree frog, Amazon milk frog or a pacman frog. Care is fairly simple for all 3 but White’s and Amazon tree frogs are arboreal. You’ll want a enclosure that goes up rather than sideways. Pacman frogs don’t care, but it is quite a bit of wasted space if you put one into a tall enclosure lol. Tomato frogs and chubby frogs are also an option. Those 2 are more similar to a pacman frog in behaviour.

3 Likes

I don’t think it exists but imagine a dart frog but with a pacman or pixie frog size and that could tolerate handling as well as pacman/pixies (I know I said this before).

I think a big a** frog with dart frog pretty colors would be amazing. Too bad they cannot be bred/made and that they don’t exist. You hear me Nature get on it because I want to see something like it!!!

2 Likes

No frogs really should be handled.
My southern toad will ‘squirt’ toxins at you basically. As they get scared. He’s done this to me once when moving him to a new viv.
Pacman shouldn’t be handled as have sensitive skin and will bite if they feel scared.
Milk frogs will release a sticky substance when scared. And whites can also release substance that some react too.

Basically if you want a frog, be prepared too look but not touch.
I’ve always wanted milks and white, not yet got them, they also are very loud when breeding :joy:
But a few friends have had them and they don’t touch them. No need really :blush:

2 Likes

I know but still even from an eye-candy perspective I just think it would be amazing to basically have a giant dart frog. I know amphibs shouldn’t really be handled. I just wish the pretty darts weren’t so small.

Still wanna have various darts someday if I can though…well that and maybe that chocolate frog Litora mira or whatever the scientific name is for it…kinda forgot.

2 Likes

Darts are amazing. We’ve had all sorts, now have Colons with the Williamsi.
It’s great that you can fully plant the vivs though. We have mini orchids and all! :blush:

1 Like

Well I have 2 empty 12x12x12 terrariums and 1 10 gallon fish aquarium. So I think I want a Pac-Man.
I don’t want buy more aquariums since already have 3 that are not being used. They would be great for the Pac-Man.
There is a reptile show today and tomorrow close to where I live, so off I go to see if anyone is selling them.
I am excited. I know your not suppose to handle them, but while I’m cleaning their enclosure I can look and talk to him or her.
How do you know what sex they are if you get a younger Pac-Man.? I would like a female, I heard they don’t make as much noise as the Males.

1 Like

Meet my Strawberry Pac-Man frog.
I haven’t picked out a name yet since I don’t know it’s gender.

5 Likes

Why are these called pac-man frogs and how do you tell the diff between these and pixie frogs? Also aren’t they really toads or at least pac-mans anyway?

That is a nice frog you got there. Dunno if its just me who finds the tone a bit orange/peachy though.

1 Like

They are South American horned frogs, or they get their common name, “Pac Man Frog” from their round, plump shape and large mouths, which make them resemble the video game character.
The people I bought him
from said He is a Strawberry color.
They had 1 Albino left but he was smaller. So I picked him because He was larger than the others.

2 Likes

Your guy there is really cute, I like his brightness- like a sunset and a watermelon had a frog-baby. Heh. I know anurans that are fed food too high in fat often get corneal xanthomatosis, so don’t give in to the cuteness & make sure he gets a proper diet instead of just pinkies.

2 Likes