Parasites on Cane Toad - how should I treat it?

So I went to a reptile expo and knew I wanted to get a Cane toad because I’ve been in love with them for a while and was one of my dream amphibians. So I got a toad it was in a big tub with about 10 of them in there I knew they were most likely wild caught from Florida as most of them are, but I was ready to deal with whatever pests it came with. So I paid the $15 got a toad and was on my way home. When we got home put him in his new home and a few days later I looked at it to see if there was any noticeable pests or parasites crawling around. Yep. There sure is. I’m not sure what it is because I haven’t really dealt with anything like that before but he has little white bugs crawling around on him and I’m not sure how I should go about treating him. If anyone knows what it is or how I should treat him any help would be much appreciated. If anyone needs pictures I can take some if you need to see what they look like. Just want my little Randall boy to be healthy. (Yes I named him Randall lol, not 100% sure if it is a boy or girl but either way Randall is the name) :blush:

Also Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everybody

2 Likes

So I just googled “cane toads”. I don’t know how to paste websites yet but according to the first one I looked at, these “spots” are toxic poisons and can be fatal to other pets in the household. I am just repeating what I read so please research it for yourself as well and please don’t take my word for it. The toads in this article were from Florida as well.

If I am wrong please forgive me. Others will, I am sure, give advice. When I saw the word “toxin” I just wanted to jump in just in case……

Best of luck!

4 Likes

Oops I just reread your post and I see that you stated “little white bugs” not “ spots”. In this case I could be wwwwaaaaayyyy wrong! @lumpy ? Did I goof on this one?

4 Likes

I will definitely see what Travis thinks you can do to help @pegakorn1. @t_h_wyman is a super wonderful wealth of knowledge and should have some helpful information for you.

5 Likes

Great idea! I am sure between the two of them…… but I am just wondering about the bugs……

2 Likes

It would not hurt to post a picture…… if you can

:wink:

2 Likes

Are aphids white? In know! I have way too much time on my hands! Lol!:joy:

3 Likes

To me this sounds like some form of mite, possibly a soil mite, and not a parasite. Photos would help.

4 Likes

Would “Pro Vent a Mite” be in order if that’s the case?

2 Likes

No, it should never be used around Amphibians. Soil or wood mites are harmless and common in moist environments.

4 Likes

Yeah, they do sound like soil mites. @pegakorn1 definitely post a picture of these.

4 Likes

Ok I read the can so NO to Provent a mite!!!

2 Likes

I’m just worried about it being wild caught and it just picking up and being brought in with them. @pegakorn1 what are you currently keeping this animal on?

4 Likes

It’s very hard to see the little suckers but I do think they are mites now that I think about it

2 Likes

He is currently being kept on a mixture of eco earth and forest floor wood chips

3 Likes

Ok so those white specks may be the mite eggs? But don’t mites (dark specks), feed off the host and then crawl off to lay eggs (white specks)? I had a run of mites on my snakes, don’t ask me how, and this was the pattern I experienced. I think.

In any case the mites should be dealt with as they are feeding off your toad? And “mite” this be very uncomfortable and detrimental to your toad?

However I don’t have knowledge of parasite cure for amphibians. But I would bet these are plain old fashioned mites……

2 Likes

Also in the top picture the specks do look brown…… Ivermectin is another mite treatment in reptiles but here again, Randall (he looks like a Randall by the way), is a toad so if I were you, I would get him to a vet asap because mites are GREAT crawlers/travelers. You could also put him on paper towels for awhile to watch for crawling brown specks that “bleed” when you crush them…… that way you would know for sure

2 Likes

So these are wood mites, in my opinion. I had them in an enclosure this year due to high humidity. They’re harmless, but they can be a little annoying at times. They won’t harm your toad, as far as I’m aware.

3 Likes

The white specks were moving around and crawing so I’m assuming they are not eggs but i do find the mites in large groups around and on very moist bits of the soil.

2 Likes

So nothing to be too worried about?

2 Likes