Parasites on Cane Toad - how should I treat it?

These are not parasitic mites, so suggesting treating for anything is a bad idea. You can’t treat amphibians the way you would reptiles, and these mites don’t need treating.

4 Likes

Ok. I am such a worry wart! Lol!

2 Likes

Nope, unless one of the more knowledgable folks like @t_h_wyman disagrees, they’re just more of a visual annoyance. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Understandable. Many see creepy crawlies in an enclosure and think the worst, but there are a lot of natural little bugs and things we forget about!

2 Likes

Thank you for all the help everyone I figured I should pop on here and ask the experts :wink: before i tried to do anything myself

2 Likes

lol same i love my animals and woudnt want anything bad to happen to any of them :blush:

2 Likes

Oh ok. I know nothing about wood mites so they are probably harmless in deed. Sorry if I seem to be going overboard but I have been dealing with a skin condition/atopic dermatitis so the very thought of something crawling around on me…….

But this is different!!!

2 Likes

Yes you are so right about nature! Many things are meant to be to keep balance. I just wig out for no reason sometimes! Lol. :joy::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Oh I almost lost it when I found wood mites in a hognose enclosure earlier this year. Thought I’d have to bug bomb the whole house. There were so many that they were forming floating patches in the water when they’d crawl in and die. I did a whole lot of research to calm my fears…Doesn’t mean I’m comfortable with 'em. :rofl:

3 Likes

That, my dear friend, would have pushed me over the edge! Lol!:joy::astonished:! My vet and reptile tech (friend) hear from me fairly regularly! Lol! :blush::lizard::frog::snake:

2 Likes

instead of everyone just throwing out ‘ideas’ and guessing based on pictures, how about you just take the Toad to the vet and get real answers and solutions. Boom problem solved. And you get to learn in the process

I have no mite experience to offer, but I’d love to see a full picture of Randall! And, if he turns out to be a she, Randi is still a sweet name!

3 Likes

Because this community has experience many vets do not. If there’s a parasite, someone here has most likely dealt with it. There is a severe shortage of exotics vets and some people do not have one nearby, and trusting a regular small animal vet to properly treat a species they have no experience with can be a recipe for disaster, especially with amphibians. It’s also costly, so asking for an opinion first on an animal that otherwise appears healthy is often a better course of action.

6 Likes

Here’s Mr. Randers (I call him that sometimes lol)
His name came from one of my favorite shows, Trailer Park Boys. Anymore toads I get they are all gonna be trailer park boys themed names :rofl:

5 Likes

Yes well said! There truly are not many vets with reptile expertise. I am blessed to have one very close to me. I worked for her as well and learned a lot.

There is so much knowledge here so this is a great place to start with questions. :blush::wink::lizard::frog::snake:

2 Likes

One could argue that if you own an exotic animal, no matter what it is, vets are hard to come by and expensive. That comes with the territory of keeping these animals and that responsibility falls on the keepers. Gotta know what specific parasite it is and how to treat it with this being an amphibian. I guess that’s just my opinion :man_shrugging:t2: hopefully the original poster can get answers

4 Likes

I’m 99% certain what the OP has here is either a soil mite, wood mite, or possibly a springtail, and not a parasite. There’s nothing to treat. All three are common in natural substrates.

2 Likes

Correct, but there is nothing wrong with a vet trip to be certain, especially if it’s a newer keeper. Again ur looking through a picture and the animal came from a show. Safest and most accurate route is a vet. Call me crazy but idk how you can say you know exactly what it is by pictures. Merry Christmas

1 Like

Yes I’m pretty sure it’s some type of mite it doesn’t seem to bother him thank you for the help :blush:

2 Likes

There is no reason for hostility (I apologize if I’m reading it wrong but I feel some sort of hostility). If I can come on here with people that have lots of knowledge about these sort of things and they can tell me what is the matter with my animal without me having to go to the vet I would much rather do this. I am on a budget and am trying to become more independent from my parents and if it is something that isn’t serious I would rather not go to the vet. I obviously understand where you are coming from and saying I should bring him to the vet and if it was extremely life threatening I would for sure do that but he seems to be fine and everyone says it’s nothing to worry about. Merry Christmas to you as well :blush:

2 Likes