Parasites on Cane Toad - how should I treat it?

Okay, first thing first - DO NOT USE PREVENT-A-MITE OR IVERMECTIN OR NIX OR ANY OTHER KIND OF MITICIDE OR INSECTICIDE ON AMPHIBIANS!!! Period. End of discussion

Amphibians are hyper sensitive to any kind of chemical so you should not be using anything on them without explicit prescription from a veterinarian, as Kenny so rightly noted

Now, that out of the way. Looking at the pics I can say with about >95% confidence that your little white things are springtails. They have very obvious antennae, something mites, as arachnids, do not have.

Springtails are stupidly common inhabitants of any cage that has damp media and I would put money that these came from the cypress that was used to mix in the media and not from the toad itself.

A $10 jeweler loupe would help you get a closer look at them to confirm (and is a good thing to have around as part of your herp kit anyway)

8 Likes

Thank you for pointing out the antennae, that’s what had me doubting the mite and adding springtail to the list. You are such an incredible contribution to this community!

3 Likes

Thank you so much this is very helpful and I definitely will be buying one of those :wink: :blush:

2 Likes

I agree with this 100%!!!

3 Likes

Yes, if you are not quite independent, you have every right to use knowledgeable resources that are available immediately. I think @kennyk47 has good intentions with his vet suggestion but given the fact that you are not in an immediate position to access a vet on your own, which Kenny did not know, you have taken the right approach, but again, he gave solid advice with the information he was given.

@pegakorn1 @kennyk47 Imho, I think we all need and want the best for our animals. Therefore we are here. I learned that not all crawly bugs are detrimental to our pets. At first when I heard the word “mites” I spazzed out. Also I mentioned Proventamite and Ivermectin which in NO way should ever be introduced to Amphibians for any reason by an inexperienced pet keeper.

In conclusion, I for one, think this discussion is a perfect example of helping one another, learning and growing, but most importantly the animal in question benefits, even if no action may be necessary? which is why we are here in the first place.

Ok now I will be quiet! Lol

Caron. :lizard::frog::snake:

4 Likes