PayPal DOs and DON'Ts

To avoid the charge and so the breeder knows I’m not going to try and scam back on them. I offer friends and family to those I “trust”. It’s the risk I take and they’re putting their MorphMarket reputation on the line.

3 Likes

I have been in a situation lately as a buyer. PayPal will not protect you on everything even if it was through Goods and Services.

1 Like

Every breeder I have dealt with doesn’t care about the extra charge. It is actually against PayPals TOS to sell things with friends and family if I am correct. If a seller is worried about a few bucks that they are meant to pay, then I personally wouldn’t buy from them. If they ask for friends and family that to me feels like a red flag and I will probably avoid buying from them all together. I have seen too many scams to trust people on things like that tbh. If someone asks for it in the future, just offer to pay the fee for goods and services, and if they refuse, move on to a less sus seller.

11 Likes

A seller can actually be banned from paypal for selling products via friends and family, and also for requiring the buyer to pay fees. A responsible seller calculates the cost of fees and incorporates that into their price.

13 Likes

Totes a learning experience. I’ll keep that in mind for the future. Hell I don’t mind sending a few extra bucks to cover the extra cost. Didn’t realize F&F didn’t allow for protections. But I do now!

3 Likes

Unless something has changed in the last few years, PayPal doesn’t offer any protections for animal purchases, even if you’re using the goods and services option, not friends and family. If you open a dispute with PayPal, as soon as animals are mentioned as the purchased ‘item’, PayPal will not offer any buyer protection. I’ve only seen disputes ruled in the buyer’s favor where there was no mention of animals and they simply said ‘product didn’t arrive’ or ‘product not as described’.

1 Like

I got a refund from PayPal on some of the cost of my snake to cover vet bills after providing them proof she was sick. You just have to prove your case and bug them a lot. If you don’t receive an item you paid for, chances are they will refund it no matter if it is an animal or not, so long as you use goods and services.

3 Likes

It is no longer the case that PayPal treats live animal transactions differently. If you can prove that you never received the animal, they will side with you. It’s tougher when the situation is less clear cut, like the animal arrives unhealthy or is not exactly what you ordered.

4 Likes

That’s great to know, thanks.

1 Like

When I did mine, they told me they did not cover animals that were sick or died, even if I had proof of taking her to the vet, they denied me twice. Seems like they change their minds case by case.

3 Likes

you can’t rely on paypal for protection. best practice would be to use paypal with a credit card as funding source and if paypal won’t protect you when something bad happens you go to your credit card company to file a dispute. if you do choose to do this realize paypal has a bad habit of locking peoples funds so it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to keep a lot of money in paypal if you were going to use cc dispute as your final protection.

i had a software purchase i made awhile back that was supposed to help recovery on a mobile phone and it never worked and i asked the company for a refund but they never responded to my attempts. i filed a claim with paypal and they reached out to the seller and then sided with the seller and chose not to refund my money. i was only out 30$ but, hey, 30$ is 30 bucks.

long story short, do your research ahead of time.

4 Likes

Yes, as soon as this happened I moved every bit of money I had out of PayPal. I’m trying to find a way out of using them from now on, their buyer protection is garbage.

3 Likes

I didn’t know this was made but, regardless of paypals terms I use this as a show of good faith especially when offering a down payment. I’ve had sellers accept and sellers also turn it down by taking the fees or cash on delivery. People are shying away from paypal with the empty box scams, I personally prefer it over venmo or anything else. As for me sending money to people as friends who own businesses or not on paypal, I’m not sure what the issue would be.

1 Like

@duckdangerfield objectively speaking that sounds quite foolish.

5 Likes

I guess. I mean I don’t know who you’re dealing with. But yeah

1 Like

You’re under no obligation to make a “show of good faith.”
It’s a simple business transaction, not two warring nations sitting down to agree to terms on a peace treaty lol. Just a thought. I don’t think any reasonable seller is going to object to you wanting to protect yourself.

7 Likes

Does your snake buying process not involve sitting down together, smoking and drawing up an elaborate treaty involving disclosure of large scale weaponry and trading prisoners of war? Because I may have been doing it wrong…

11 Likes

@chesterhf Depending on the seller sometimes it Legit feels that way…

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: Now you know why I only have 5 snakes. It takes time!!!

5 Likes

Aha! So now I must know what to expect if we do a breeding collaboration! A breeding treaty it shall be then and the spoils of war will be the hatchlings!

9 Likes