PayPal, or other?

I’ve got someone interested in doing some payments on a snake, and I’ve never done the process before.
They’re local, and wanting to do payments before getting the snake. Is PayPal the best way to go about this? I’ve only ever sold snakes local with cash. is there a risk of charge backs or anything to where once they get the snakes, they could then go and file a dispute to get their money back?

Just wanting to make sure I’m being smart about this.

Thanks!

1 Like

There would be charge unless you do it via friends and family. If you’re not doing it via friends and family I think you have to register as a business (not sure though).

I would suggest a small deposit rather than full payment until they collect the reptile. But that’s viewers choice.

PayPal has been almost instant, a couple of minutes sometimes, but usually straight away when I have done it.

I’ve never requested money back so not sure on the process. However I’ve only paid via friends & family.

We have had someone send me money by accident and they have requested it back, we have of course sent the money back but I don’t know how it works if someone was to refuse.

Would be good if anyone has any insight

1 Like

I’ve used PayPal many times, friends and family so no charges taken.
I’ve sent money to people for reptiles, and then people have paid me that way also.
I myself have had no issues! :blush:

3 Likes

I would use PayPal non friends and family. You have just add the 3% change to the amount you are asking so you get the money that you were really selling for, or just take the 3% cut from profit.

As for get evidence, take screenshots of PayPal when money is received also ask that they title its reason is for the snakes in question.

It should look something like this, but keep in mind that was a horrible edit on the fly

I would say this is the most important:

Make sure you get screenshots of the messages between you and the buyer communicating about the snakes and payment being received and the snakes being sent or handed over. If that means you take pictures of them with the snakes on the agreed meetup day, so be it. You want to have solid evidence.

Edit: Just make sure you don’t look like a creeper. If they ask why, just let them know. It is best to be honest and transparent.

4 Likes

Is there a risk/reason not to do friends and family? From what I understand there is no seller protection for live animals on PayPal, or there used to not be, I can’t remember what I had read prior.
They’re wanting to do $75 a week until they pay it off, which is reasonable to me. And I’ve got email proof of the payment agreement. Does that cover me?

Looking at doing payments of $75 until we get to the full price of the snake, so definitely isn’t a large payment all at once. I would think it be best to have the animal paid in full before delivering the snakes, no?

If you’re ok with that then go ahead.
But the snake should NOT be sent until paid in full!

5 Likes

This is the best advice ever.

4 Likes

I agree, you should always have full payment before handing over a reptile.

If your not doing friends and family then you need to remember you won’t get what the reptile is advertised as as you’d need to take the 3% payment (or what ever the fee is) into account. I don’t believe you can ask for more money once the price is agreed. But you can always price a little higher to account for this in future.

I don’t know the difference protection wise, you’d have to read the terms on PayPal.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to use friends and family outside of its intended purpose. It also makes disputes harder so it’s not recommended for the buyer.

3 Likes

Pretty sure it is against PayPal TOS to sell things using friends and family, since it dances around paying the fees.

6 Likes

I’d be doing a local meet up with them, but that was something I already made clear to them, the snake stays with me until paid in full.

2 Likes

Scammers can get you if they really try no matter what system you use. In business, that’s just a fact of life you have to protect yourself from as best you can. The only true protection is to have a legal business set up and require a signed contract with the sale. That way you would actually have a leg to stand on litigation wise if it went that far. Otherwise you’re stuck playing the PayPal game like most. My frustration with it as a business owner who pays a ton of taxes is that the large majority of people using PayPal are dodging taxes on their animal sales.

Most of the people complaining about getting scammed on PayPal don’t have a business entity, let alone a business license, resale license, etc.

5 Likes

The other option, they give you a deposit to hold, and then they put the money back each week themselves, until they have the full amount to meet up and pay you in full?

4 Likes

Lots of breeders on MorphMarket will only do paypal friends or bank transfer. why?
No buyers rights for refund via business papal.
But to be fair, there are scammer buyers too,so I cant blame them.
Personally I offer sellers a quick cash sale, that way I can walk away if the animals are unhealthy.
But, visiting a stranger (with or without cash) brings its own risks. I am willing to risk that.
However, a better option is MorphMarket . they are different because they confirm identity and address of sellers. So safer to visit.
As for using paypal friends and family/bank transfer. Again MorphMarket , but for me, only for established breeders with a history. Why, because I can see their history in detail there.

2 Likes

Because most of them are not legal businesses. The way to avoid being scammed is very simple as I mentioned above. Set up a legal business, require a contract, use a legitimate point of sale business to handle your transactions. This horse get’s beaten to death in the hobby almost entirely by people trying to avoid doing any extra work (setting up a business entity) or paying taxes.

2 Likes

While I agree with setting up a business if you sell lots. What about the people that will only sell a few animals a year? I don’t know about other countries but In UK we have to pay a fair bit each year to be registered as a business and would cost a lot more than the Reptiles are worth.

1 Like

Here in the US, if you earn more than $400 in one calendar year from any source you’re legally obligated to pay taxes on it. You can operate as an individual but still must pay taxes. The other thing that seems to blow right over everyone’s head on our side of the pond is that as a business you can write off feeders, some of your power bill, some of your rent, etc. You aren’t taxed on the value of those write offs.

My position is always going to be this: My wife and I pay tens of thousands of dollars in taxes a year on our businesses, why should people selling animals, even if just a few, get a free pass? We’re not giant corporations, we’re family owned small businesses and our employees make more than we do, and all that warm gooey jazz. We still pay our taxes.

3 Likes

And this is good news for businesses. Personally, I want to do this by the way of being a business. Eventually getting a LLC and pay my tax because I want to do this as fair as possible.

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting anyone do this, but…You can write off a boat load of things if you get creative. Car payments, cell phone bills, car insurance, fuel, and a whole lot more. There really are a ton of benefits to having a business set up. Probably the biggest one is that we do not pay the same tax rate as W-2 workers or 1099 contractors. Works out to about 10-14% of our income. W-2 employees pay 22ish % and 1099s can end paying 24-30%.

3 Likes