Pictures of reptiles in the “wild”

Even though I know they’re super common in all kinds of places, anoles have always seemed exotic to me, since we don’t have them where I live. Same with geckos.

7 Likes

I was born and raised here in Brevard county Florida so they are very common but im still fascinated by these little guys. Its been very interesting watching this little family grow and how they interact with things. They have a little fenced in paradise back here, lol

6 Likes

Every time I walk past milkweed, I have to look for the caterpillars. Yesterday, I was treated to this little guy! I didn’t realize that they start out so green. The fly shows you how small he is. And, if I’m not mistaken, the little froglet seems to be leaning towards a snack attempt. Wish I could have waited around for that fight!

11 Likes

I’m usually finding monarchs, but these guys are all over this week. Anyone know…? I understand, not a reptile. But, you folks all seem to be so knowledgeable!

10 Likes

Looks like a milk weed tussock moth. Very cool

6 Likes

Mr. Bebé Frog is indeed thinking of eating the fly lol. Side eye is real

6 Likes

I want to pet the fluffy little guy

6 Likes

Side eye is real!:rofl::rofl:

Sorry Excuse Me GIF by BBC Earth

7 Likes

That picture is just downright adorable! :blush:

6 Likes

Found this little dude on the top of our basement door frame this morning.

It looks a lot like a Pine Woods Tree Frog but the info I found online says they don’t live in our area of NC. It also looks a bit like a Spring Peeper which does live in our area of NC, but it definitely looks more like the Pine Woods.

10 Likes

Depending on where you live, could be a western fence lizard. Looks just like the fence lizards I caught at my grandma’s house as a child. Could also be an eastern fence lizard.

7 Likes

Love the froggy’s expression. “Dang it, I meant to be invisible. I think that big old critter has done spotted me!”

8 Likes

My mid-20s daughter is traveling throughout SE Asia for three months. Naturally, this dad is a bit worried. I had plenty to concern me, wasn’t thinking of this! She sent a pic and said “Ooh, look a snake!” I think it’s an Island Pit Viper. (She’s currently in Bali.) am I correct? - signed Nervous Father

8 Likes

Although it does have a similar color scheme, green body and reddish tail. I think the head is way to slim for a pit viper and the white lipped pit viper you are thinking it may be has a huge triangular, thick head. I think it is a red tailed racer.

9 Likes

It looks like a red tailed green rat snake to me

6 Likes

That is what I am seeing too. I have research the species so, yes, it definitely looks like one.

7 Likes

I just looked it up and somehow i didn’t know that a red tailed green ratsnake was the same thing as a red tailed racer :man_facepalming:

so it is pretty safe to say @dlhirst, that your daughter is perfectly safe around that snake

6 Likes

I found this weirdo water snake a couple weeks ago

12 Likes

That’s crazy. Northern Water Snake I’ve ever encountered has been real feisty.

8 Likes

Goodness, how surprisingly calm. Was the weather cool?

6 Likes