Pied or Leopard Pied? ID Help Please

Hello! Was going through the racks where I volunteer and these 2 female Pieds look Leopard to me. I’m new, so I was hoping someone could confirm or tell me I’m way off? Thanks in advance!

FEMALE 1

FEMALE 2

4 Likes

I can see where you are coming from, there is a very leopardy look to them.

Do you have any info on their parents? That’s the only way to know.

4 Likes

Sadly no info on pairings and no records of offspring produced, besides what was kept back. One of the breeder males is confirmed Leopard Pied, and I’m wondering if they came from the same breeder.

2 Likes

I can definitely see were anyone whould think they are leopard. I’m on the fence with this one. But I’m leaning no I think there would be more black dotting in your edges of pattern. And there would be more contrast between the black and lighter colors. But pieds patterns a lot of times time don’t follow a rhyme or reason. And for full disclosure I don’t have leopard in my pied line. So not a combo I would see a lot in person.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’m getting to see what they produce this season if they go, so hopefully I can see if there is any leopard in the offspring.
@stewart_reptiles Hi! I was wondering, since I’ve seen you post a lot of leopard stuff, that you have some experience with leopard pieds? I would love to have your input.

3 Likes

I can’t share @stewart_reptiles knowledge, however

Your damn right she does :wink:

5 Likes

These all have pastel. So there’s more contrast in the lights and darks. If we could find a normal leopard pied for comparison think we could figure it out!

3 Likes

Here’s one I held back this year. All of the ones I’ve produced and a lot of them I’ve seen online have that U shaped head stamp although it could fade for all I know since I’ve only got neonates.

5 Likes

@ballornothing Well considering you have produced leopard pieds what is your opinion?

1 Like

I would think it would hold more orange with age but it’s a good possibility.

2 Likes

@ballornothing Ok thank you for sharing your input. The u head stamp haven’t heard that before. I have a theory my white wedding pied has leopard you can’t see. The U head stamp is helping my theory lol.

I forgot I kept a female too lol. It was a lot harder to tell with this one until her third shed. That first one I posted was the best of the bunch so probably not the best example.

4 Likes

@ballornothing That’s super nice!! What do you think of this guy?

3 Likes

That’s tough. Super pastel leopard maybe

2 Likes

So you see the leopard too? I had a clutch of 6 with about 3 I really think are leopard. Father was pastel pied female was spider pied. She was a white wedding so all white. Whole clutch was weird lol.

1 Like

Leo gets crazy with super pastel and that’s what that greyish patch reminds me of.

Thanks everyone for the pictures and info! Here is the leopard pied breeder male at the facility. Sorry, the lighting in there is terrible.

His offspring below. Was paired with a Super Vanilla

!

1 Like

Ok I had two with a grey patch like that. So that new info to me. I was initially thinking yellowbelly but pied is not something I do a lot of clutches of. But I was almost certain something else was going on. But I had doubt do to pied not really being a gene I’m super familiar with.

2 Likes

Offspring definitely look leopard to me.

2 Likes

Definitely leopard. Leopards will usually have that stripe when they’re het pied too.