Racks vs glass/pvc enclosures for bp

So i know yall probably get questions like this a lot and i did search through past topics but found nothing that answers my exact questions. Heres the thing I WANT MORE SNAKES. But i live in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom trailer and my husband says i cant get another one because we have no more room. I currently have 4 dogs, 3 bearded dragons, and 1, only one ball python. The ball is my fav and i want more. Im not willing to get rid of the beardies bc im afraid they wont get taken care of correctly.

i had someone suggest i get a rack system. Heres my issue, my snek is currently in a 55 gallon glass enclosure (4ftĂ—12"Ă—18") he seems happy in there, temps and humidity stay good, i just feel like i would be being selfish to move him into a rack just so i can appease myself and get another or 2 or 3 more sneks. So im trying to find a rack system that would be as close to in size and the ability to add as much enrichment for him as he has in his current set up? Like i just dont want to throw him in a drawer and forget about him and i feel like thats what id be doing.
***So heres the question… are there any actual benefits to a rack system aside from being able to house more sneks in a small area? I guess im looking for good reasons to have a rack aside from my own wants. Do they make racks that can hold big tubs that would be close to or equivalent to a 55 gal tank?
sorry for the long post

3 Likes

I know that for some snakes, racks can make them feel more secure, since the bins are usually opaque (and even if they’re clear or have windows, the way they slide into the rack will obscure at least 3 sides). Some balls are less nervous and will eat better in a rack or opaque tub vs. a clear tank. It can also make cleaning and maintenance easier, and keeping things clean is vital for health.

I don’t know much about specific racks, as I’ve never used them, but I know they come in all shapes and sizes, and some do indeed accommodate large drawers/bins.

Another space-saving alternative to racks might be some PVC enclosures that stack. I know many makers of PVC enclosures design them to be stackable and even sell spacers so you can stack them with some space in between.

3 Likes

This sounds like what you are looking for. It is actually wayyyyyy bigger than your current setup and allows for 5 more snakes

7 Likes

:joy: Do I ever know about wanting more snakes! The rack system that @logar suggested would be perfect if it wasn’t for the price! :weary::slightly_frowning_face:

The stackable tubs that @jawramik Jennifer suggested imho would work well for you, but so would a basic utility rack. My husband hates reptiles so I have all of mine in my bedroom. I have around 20 snakes and around 15 T’s! I have a rack that I found on Amazon for 99 dollars and change that has 5 shelves. It’s a utility rack and I have 11 snakes on it. (Some of my snakes are still babies). And I am a tub person……:blush:

3 Likes

There is a slightly cheaper version of it. Only 3000 dollars :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh gee Logan! Now that’s what I’m talkin about! :laughing:

2 Likes

I WISH i could afford that! Lol.

2 Likes

My husband isnt fond of snakes either. He tolerates mine but doesnt want to be anywhere near him when i take him out. My stepkids love my snake though so hubby is outnumbered. Would u mind sending me a link for the rack you got from amazon?

2 Likes

Don’t we all :rofl:

3 Likes

Why certainly! It may take me a minute to figure it out but I will! :blush:

2 Likes

MZG Steel Heavy Duty 5-Tier Utility Shelving Unit Steel Organizer Wire Rack for Home,Kitchen,Office,Chrome (14" D x 24" W x 63" H) Amazon.com

I hope this works! :joy:

3 Likes

If you’re wanting to keep the size of your current setup you’re going to have to go with a Freedom Breeder or ARS rack (just like the one @logar) posted. Now, you don’t have to buy the full rack (at least with ARS). You can buy levels and grow the rack as you grow. I know several people who like to still provide enrichment for their ball pythons, and so, they have purchased these bigger racks and tubs and set it up just like they would with a glass aquarium tank. There is no way to tell if a snake is happy or not, but there will always be that debate of pros/cons for tanks, tubs, and racks.

4 Likes

I was thinking mine was around 100 dollars but evidently it was a bit cheaper…. Anyway, it’s easy to put together as well….This works great for me. :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

So what size tubs fit in that? How do u keep the snakes from escaping? I mean because of the spaces between the bars. In rack systems do the tops stay on the tubs? That prob seems like a dumb question but im completely dumb to rack systems. Lol

2 Likes

Since this is a utility type rack and not a custom snake rack you will have to use tubs with lids. I use under tank heat mats for some some of the tubs and for others I have the long heat strips from The Bean Farm. The size of the tub/s will determine how many you can fit on each shelf. Also what kinds of snakes are you wanting? And do you plan on starting out with babies?

If I were you I would decide what you want to add to your collection first and then look at snake racks/utility shelves. I am pretty sure you can get longer shelving units than what I have.

I would also check out the rack suggestion that @akmorphs made. If you can add to it as you go that would be awesome! And this rack is made for snakes so you would not have to improvise! :blush:

As @akmorphs said, there is and will be, an ongoing debate about which is best, tanks, tubs, or racks, until the end of time. You are like me. You are pressed for space but you want more than the one snake you have without letting your other animals (beardies) go! I don’t blame you!

I hope this helps and don’t hesitate to message me if you want!

Good luck! :pray:

3 Likes

Now I’m looking at similar shelving on Amazon and looking around my room to figure out how many racks like that I could fit in here while still leaving room for my bed and clothes. :rofl: Maybe I can fit more than 1-2 more large-ish enclosures in here…:thinking:

3 Likes

Thanks! I just want more bps. Not a crazy amount. Just a couple more, but hopefully without sacrificing too much room for them or in my home. Lol. Plus, I have to go slow with my husband on the snake thing. Hes fine with the beardies. He just doesnt like snakes, what he doesnt know is beardies are much bigger assholes, in my opinion anyway. :rofl:

3 Likes

I do this daily. Im constantly trying to come up with a way to get more or at least one more snake without taking up any room. Im even considering putting some in my stepkids room :rofl: (he loves our reptiles and is very good with them)

3 Likes

Oh no! I hope I don’t get in trouble for being a “rack pusher”! Lol! I only have one but I am thinking about getting another one. You really can’t beat the price! Again, you have to be a bit creative but when you are pressed for space these racks work pretty well…… :sunglasses:

3 Likes