Reef Tank Pictures and Talk

Here is a thread for all the reef tank folks to post in, with all the amazing photos. We dont have one but I love looking at them.

6 Likes

And I thank you sir! Ill get this going. Looking forward to seeing other tanks!

10 Likes

Here are some of my favorite recent shots of my tank

10 Likes

Beautiful acro colonies. My favorite was ORA red planet and bonsai. You have some seriously nice pictures. You should be proud of those colonies

10 Likes

I wish I could like this more than once!

4 Likes

RIGHT! We need levels of like!

These pictures are exactly why I started this thread!

4 Likes

Thank you for doing this. Ive got saltwater in my veins, lol. This was a huge part of our lives

4 Likes

Thank you, as did you! Garf is still one of my all time favorite acros. I lean towards the older school-like pieces, they gotta look good day and “night” not just under blues for me.

You’ve had an awesome assortment of coral and all look very healthy. Nice work! I sold my BTA cause i was too scared of the walk of death in there. I do miss it and so do my percula clowns.

4 Likes

Sincerely, thank you. I know what you mean, the anemones ended doing just that. My wife had a gift at removing them it was amazing. We ended up building my mother a little nano and put the anemones and maroon clowns in there for her to enjoy. Corals were very demanding and as the tank flourished it really took a lot of dosing to keep the chemistry stable. I agree, corals have to be pretty under white as well as blue light.

4 Likes

Can anyone help identify these very possible future expenditures?

7 Likes

I’m not great with soft coral but I believe the first two pictures are some type of star polyp and xenia.
3rd photo is neon green toadstool
4th an assorted picture of palythoas and zoanthids. (maybe all zoanthids I’m not great with that)
5th Grande Poly, or some other trade name. I believe these may contain some kind of paly toxin so read up on them first.
6th zoa but probably has a trade name. Behind it is some encrusting cyphastrea coral. Encrusting
7th ever popular neon green star polyp. Mats out like a grass long, can be gorgeous but also needs to be placed on a island to keep form overtaking everything.
8th Frogsawn I believe a type of euphyllia
9th Hammer coral, branching euphyllia
10th possible flower pot coral I think. There are different types, look at gonipora images to see which.
11th zoanthid, different color size variety from above.
12, not sure but cool looking? Some type of kenya tree or leahter?

Good looking pieces.

6 Likes

@smite is right, on all counts. I love soft corals, I love the movement they provide to a tank. I love to watch their eating response. Like fly traps. I disassembled my reef tank a couple years back, prior to our move from MI to NH. Gave everything away to fellow keepers. Miss the tank…

8 Likes

By the way, zooanthids have the same toxins as palyyhoas. Like snake bites, some folks are more “allergic “ than others.

When you MUST handle them, put on surgical gloves. If you frag them, keep them out of the display tank’s water system for a day. They tend to ooze that stuff out when injured.

6 Likes

Awesome information, and pictures, thank you very much. I’m not much into aquatics, really, but I’ve grown more and more interested in reef tanks as I’ve seen them. I’ve frequently done business in the local pet stores in the area for years but NEVER ventured into the aquarium sections unless it was for vivarium related materials, until recently, which is where the photos I submitted came from. The more I know, about everything, the better, and even if I never actually make the step toward the reef tank, I’ve learned a lot from dipping my toes in the water (so to speak) with aquariums that I’ve been able to carry over to vivarium building.

Looking forward to seeing more, if anyone has anything else to share of these, and thank you again.

6 Likes

Beautiful tank you had! @smite good job on the ID’s its great too see other on here that enjoyed this wonderful hobby.

5 Likes

I’ve always liked side view and top down pictures.

8 Likes

Awesome shots, that fungia has a very cool swirl of color towards the mouth. What mh/t5 light was that, spectra?

4 Likes

Beautiful mixed reef you had, no easy task! I love bangaii cardinals I feel like I don’t see them as much anymore. I’ve had a CB one from a buddies pair for about 5-6 years now. I’m just not sure how to sex it to pair it up.

4 Likes

We got that fungia for free on a piece of live rock from petco. Many years ago my wife was a manager there and they got some nice pieces in which was rare. I put it in the tank and under the blues there was a tiny speck of neon green. Fast forward to 8ish years and we had a very large (6") plate coral. When it would eat the inside of the mouth was a beautiful purple coloration on the inside. The fixture was a coralife but I used specifically Hamilton halide and T5 bulbs. Big fan of Hamilton lighting. Ive tried XM, radium and hamilton was great. Once true radiums were impossible to get I tried Hamilton and never looked back.

4 Likes

That’s a score!

I hear ya, lots of people still run the radiums but not on the m80 ballasts and it’s just super blue, too blue for me even on an HQI setting. I’m also a Hamilton fan. Once I ran their 14k 250w moguls I was hooked.

I’m currently trying to sell all my old reef gear so I can buy a few years worth of lamps and back up ballasts. Sounds like production is going to come to a halt soon and MH will be a thing of the past, unfortunately.

3 Likes