Reef Tank Pictures and Talk

Oh, I hope to see a reef/fish section! That would be amazing!! :fire:

7 Likes

Look good?

8 Likes

Looks great Thomas. Thank you for setting this option up.

4 Likes

Beautiful tanks! :heart_eyes:

I know nothing about keeping any sort of marine life, but I love looking at reef tanks. My mom had a reef tank before I was born, so having listened to her talk about it, I know it’s truly a labour of love. I used to try to convince my mom to get her tank going again when I was a kid, but she always said, “I can be your mother or I can have a reef tank, but I cannot do both!” :joy:

I have so much respect for people who have successfully had saltwater reef tanks. Whenever I’ve started to research it, my eyes usually start to glaze over at how dang complicated and labour-intensive it all is.

4 Likes

Thank you, it definitely was a second job but I absolutely loved (almost) every minute of it.

4 Likes

Your mom sounds like a true reefer! gonna do it right and all in, or not at all!

I love my reef tank but it’s not unconditional that’s for sure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Even now, things are going well but I’ve got issues popping up with tissue necrosis and I can’t quite put a finger on whats wrong. It could be nothing is wrong now, but maybe something spiked momentarily last month that went unnoticed and I’m now seeing the delayed result of that. Or something I can’t test for. Only a few pieces, the rest are thriving so it’s hard to say

6 Likes

A trick I used was to broadcast dose cipro (fish antibiotics) it would destroy all bad bacteria and rebuild the bacterial biome to be more diversified in a healthy way. It was also used to save multiple anemones

Here’s my old reef tank , sadly sold but I do miss it!!

10 Likes

Beautiful tank! I remember discussions on cipro in a reef tank and how it could help anemones.

3 Likes

Your old tank is incredible! I would love a tank someday but right now I am still working on growing my boa collection so a tank will have to be later.

3 Likes

Amazing tank Douglas! I’ve used cipro to treat gigantea carpets with good success, following OrionN protocol on R2R. I haven’t tried dosing the whole tank with it yet.

I was considering trying a witchazel treatment if it gets much worse. If that doesn’t work, then I might consider cipro. I just worry about under doing it and making a more resistant strain of bacteria.

5 Likes

Amoo had a great article on R2R too👍

3 Likes

Ye a resistant strain would be a huge concern I kno it worked in my tanks but I followed a very different set of rules like no water changes, dosing everything ect. I had BJD on my sps and it was contagious spreading to every coral it touched , broadcasting cipro was my only method to stop it and luckily it worked

3 Likes

It sounds like we have similar methods. I follow the reef moonshiner method with ICP testing, trace element dosing in place of water changes. That’s where I’ve seen the witch hazel dosing done.

The brown jelly is no joke, I’m glad that took it out for you

3 Likes

Ive only experienced BJD on LPS, specifically torch corals (euphyllia glabrescens). Thankfully iodine dips worked and never had a tank wipeout.

4 Likes

Ooh, I loved the torches! Big fan of almost all LPS. I even appreciated the silly stuff like xenias, Kenyas, and star polyps.

3 Likes

I loved GSP man. Heres some frogspawn and GSP from my older tank

7 Likes

That’s some gorgeous frogspawn. I always loved the blue tipped variety.
I couldn’t kill GSP w a bucket of bleach. I kept it away from live rock in the middle of the tank. Once a month, I’d rip it in half and give half to one of the local stores. I think he was charging ~$35 for it. I never was good at profiting from my tank. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know what you mean about GSP. I had some out of water for over 6 hours and it still survived. Lol. Making money with my tank futile as well. That frogspawn looked great under actnic lights.

7 Likes

A front and side shot of my reef from this AM

9 Likes

That is soo cool!

3 Likes