I have 2 enclosures in “storage” that I haven’t used at all. The dimensions for one is 48Lx18Hx21W and the other is a 20 Gallon aquarium. I am really only into snakes, and for them really just Pythons, Boas, and very select colubrids. Very few lizard species, truly the Collared Lizard and monitors (probably won’t get one since they are harder I think)
I have a Coastal Carpet Python currently.
I’m posting this to know some options that I could get in the future.
I’d recommend selling them and putting the funds towards equipment for an animal that you want to keep for its own merits.
The percentage of herp species best kept in a glass top opening enclosure is very very low, and whether a given enclosure is the appropriate size and dimensions reduces that to near zero.
I want to keep some that are able to be in these enclosures, I’m just trying to find some suggestions. I don’t think I should sell them if I’m being totally honest, the 20 gallon might just be a holding recepticle when I get a lid. I would say that the larger one can have stuff, which I’m trying to mainly find something that can.
Top opening enclosures are not great long term for reptiles, reaching into the enclosure from above can be stressful or outright frightening to them, getting them out is challenging. They’re also more difficult to clean imo, especially larger ones like that 70+ gallon one.
A full glass enclosure is terrible for holding any amount of heat. So if you’re wanting to go for snakes that isn’t ideal… you’ll be constantly battling keeping steady safe temps.
Neither are an appropriate size for the types of snakes as adults that you’ve mentioned unless they are temporarily meant to house younger snakes unless you go for the smaller end colubrids or pythons, Boas are out of the picture since they are too short for semi-arboreal or fully arboreal species. The only thing that would comfortably live in the 20gal is a male Hognose snake, or maybe a Garter Snake.
Edit: a male BP may comfortably live in the 70gal… but its still not ideal because its glass and top-opening.
If I’m being honest the 20 gallon is just because it’s here. The 70 gallon one is front opening, if that helps at all. Photo doesn’t show it I noticed.
I would get a ball python, though I have bad experiences with them since the first one I got died since he never ate for me (sadly died right after I finally was able to feed him)
He just never ate for the longest time, I was trying everything (It finally worked when I scented a frozen rat with rat droppings, but he later passed sadly)
Maybe I could try it again, I do still have a rack system which I hear is better.
It was a rack system, I don’t want to talk about it. It was a ball python and 2 years ago. Guessing there was a problem with the setup, I decreased the size (it was fairly large initially) it didn’t work for a long time then finally did but it was too late.
Ok so to be quite frankly honest here, what exactly have you been asking and then admitting? Now your very first post is sending up a red flag and tbh is making no sense, especially considering the latest ball python admittance? You came here for advice and now don’t want to talk about it?
At this point I don’t think I can in good conscience even recommend fish for that 20 gallon. I definitely think it’s in your best interest to sell both of those tanks and sit on whatever money you might get from them for the time being….. then think about it for awhile. You definitely have some time…..
And I am not trying to be rude. I just don’t feel like you are ready to
be filling empty enclosures just because you have them, and not because you already have something in mind that you really want to fill them with, if that makes any sense….
Actually @tgbbp72 Hayden, another thought occurred to me that you might want to consider. Colonies of isopods are really cool to keep and don’t require a ton of maintenance. You can even mix certain species together.
It’s just that he didn’t eat for a long time, finally did and then died. There wasn’t anything wrong with the setup (I made consistent changes so that he would eat). I consistently contacted the seller about what to do and he was helpful. I was devastated and never talked about it, it happened 2 years ago and I feel I’ve understood more on what to do with them considering how I solved the problem.
I do currently keep a Carpet Python, who is doing well. Just that the ball python was my first instance of a snake dying, which I feel guilty (I tried every way to feed him, without resorting to live. It finally worked when I rubbed the thawed rat to rat bedding that I obtained) then he abruptly died shortly after, I tried swapping the enclosure setup often, cleaned it often, swapped the size from the 2 tubs I had. Made sure the heading was good (it was). It was foolish to say I don’t want to talk about it. I do have species in mind but I wanted to see what people here could say.
20 gallons will likely have no use anytime soon, just mentioned that one. Not to mention I don’t even like fish, I wouldn’t put a snake in it because it is top opening.
Not to mention I think there is a very small Crack that might leak water. I don’t know if there is since when I cleaned it out nothing leaked out.
Ok so Hayden, you definitely have some positive snake keeping experience looking at that beautiful carpet! Here are some suggestions that I am making to:for you! Have you thought about the never ending colorful morph experience of the simple corn snake? Or a rat/king snake? Many of each will climb if given the opportunity, are husbandry forgiving, and come in a huge host of morphs/colors/prices. Another consideration is the milk snake. Again, comes with all the aforementioned amenities.
You seem to want a snake that can be seen/one that you can interact with? Hognoses and ball pythons would not necessarily be a good choices if that’s the case.