Reptile Theft

I really appreciate the support and more than anything what i want people to take away from my situation is just to see that no matter how careful someone is stuff can still hit the fan no matter the precautions you take. But its not all so bad because i am already planning my next steps to start again but dont get me wrong, what happened to my animals is immeasurably horrible but i will use the rebuilding of my collection as a sort of way to heal

12 Likes

any chance you have a link to this collection of snakes you saw? Never know, could be it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pictures of animals taken would help others know what to look for especially if there are identifying marks on them.

3 Likes

yeah, definitely.

2 Likes

Alright let’s not start posting a bunch of CL ads or screen copy of ads here, if you think you have something simply PM Nate with the link.

Thanks

5 Likes

Agreed. If they pm me and it isn’t my snake then no harm no foul :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There is a FB page, “Rehoming ball pythons”.
I’d post a missing ad on there.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss, going through a theft like this is extremely painful. I did want to offer some advice. A police report is obviously the biggest step, but, rather than focus on the snakes, start by looking for the electronics, as they will be easier for a perp to move. If you have any documentation, especially with serial numbers, a pawn shop should have information that may reveal who sold it to them. Various internet avenues like Craigslist will be worth watching, but a lot of thefts are done by people trying to generate cash very quick for some obvious reasons. The police report and their assistance will help you gain information if you think you have found any of your lost items.

I really hope you are able to recover it all.

8 Likes

This is so messed up it makes me so angry when I hear about stuff happening like this. Its not like they stole something replaceable these are living breathing animals we bond with. Its like they are kid napping. I am really sorry to hear you are going through this. I prayed for you and your precious snakes please don’t let this matter make you give up. Just try to outsmart the low life theifs like that next time. I live in Lincoln CA in Norcal I will be keeping my eyes out as well

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that, i hope you can get your collection back soon. I can’t understand how anyone would steal something like that. I am new to this community and I like to see how people respond to these situations. It makes me like this hobby even more.

3 Likes

im sitting here crying my eyes out as well for you. I cant believe they did this! Who takes laptops and game consoles & snakes? I cant believe they took every snake!

3 Likes

Wish you woulda had some venomous so whoever did this would be laying in your yard when you got home. Absolutley disgusting that someone would do something like this​:rage::triumph:

10 Likes

Thank goodness your pooch wasn’t home. I also have a Bull Terrier (miniature) and had someone break in and try to steal her before. Its disgusting and scary. Im so sorry.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone else asked this already and I realize you can never replace your pets and hard work but would your renters insurance cover the market value of your collection? Sorry for your lose man.

2 Likes

Thanks for the support it means alot. I did check with them and there is alot of back and forth because they said it was a different case then what they are normally use to

As someone who used to work in insurance I think you COULD get them covered but you’d probably have to get some kind of extension on regular renters insurance where you specify the contents and value of your collection. Been meaning to bring it up because anyone with an extensive collection just needs to do it but I haven’t had time to fully look into what kind of article would need to be added on to regular insurance to cover it

4 Likes

Usually when insurance finds out you have snakes your liability policy will increase.

As far as insuring animals, there are two companies I’ve heard of that offer animal insurance against death and theft but it is not even considerable for large breeders. The cost would be out of reach for a large collection.

4 Likes

@osbornereptiles I’d far rather pay more on my premium than have my whole collection unprotected. It would be worth doing some searching though to see if there are a few companies who would jack your rates up less.

1 Like

Well how big of a collection are we talking? I had 27 ball pythons and 12 other types of reptiles

As far as insurance go you are looking at live stock insurance type just like farmers have, having your collection under your home insurance could backfire and have your policy cancelled all together.

3 Likes