Reptiles you'll never get

What are some reptiles you love, but have accepted that you’ll most likely never get for one reason or another?

5 Likes

If reptiles stays as a hobby likely boelen’s python (price), medically significant hots (unless I have proper equipment and an escape proof room), and a dragon (they don’t exist, yet, still hoping genetic engineering will pull through).

10 Likes

for me, it’s boyd’s forest dragons, most australian blue tongues, marbled spotted pythons, angle headed dragons, melanistic blue tongues, albino stimsons pythons and perenties because they’re impossible to find, as well as retics, alligator snappers, scrub pythons, lace monitors and asian water monitors because they’re to big.

4 Likes

oh, and northland green geckos.

1 Like

sorry, a few more, galapagos giant tortoises and sulcata tortoises

3 Likes

Unless a miracle ever occurs Chinese Alligators and Earless Monitors.

6 Likes

No komodo dragon for me. :frowning: Also I’d love an Alhambra (because that’s far more possible than a Galapagos Tortoise) but that’s never happening, either.

2 Likes

For me it would have to be a dragon snake (I only know of a few people who know how to care for them properly and I’m not one of them) and Asian water monitor (I don’t have the room to house one)

5 Likes

Would love to own a Gaboon viper. They are one of the prettiest snakes I have seen. However I will never own one as I know I would get bit as I like holding all my snakes.

Take care
Tom

7 Likes

If I’m being honest I never thought I would a sterling boa, but I’m happy that this topic didn’t come out until I got her. It would take some sort of miracle happening in Florida, so I probably will never end up getting Retic (they are a true and honest dream of mine). Venomous snakes are really cool, and absolutely beautiful, but as of right now I really can’t take the chance of even considering the possibility of owning one.

3 Likes

For me it’s probably anything venomous, even something rear fanged like a false water cobra or hognose. Love both species and dream of having either, but I tend to have stronger than average reactions to venoms/stings/bites which are worsening with age, and just don’t feel like I can risk it.

5 Likes

I would LOVE to have a burm or a retic, but id just be too scared to own one. Im 5’2 and boas are the biggest im comfortable with keeping(by myself) just because of intimidation, tbh.

Also: ill most likely never keep anything that requires fresh fruits and veggies. Ill stick with my deep freezer of mice and my various powdered diets, thanks :rofl:

5 Likes

For me it’s the bush viper. Atheris squamigera. One of my favorite reptiles but RFV’s are about as bold as my wife trusts me to mess with.

3 Likes

A tuatara or gharial. Only in my dreams, but it should stay that way lol.

3 Likes

Says who lol

6 Likes

We have a Sulcata. The other half brought him/her home. Only little, was and still is a baby. I think nearing or around a year now.
Not sure I’m looking forward to it fully grown! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I would love a Cow retic and a sterling boa. But being bigger snakes and the fact I still jump feeding my royal I don’t think it will happen.
Unless when my little bamboo girl gets here and gets big over the years, maybe I’ll be better then :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Any medium-to-large lizard species, like tegus or monitors. They’re beautiful, but I just don’t have the kind of space they’d need. Even if I did, I’m not sure I’d want to spend the time it would take to socialize and train them properly.

Size-wise the same goes for big snakes, large tortioses, komodo dragons, and most crocodilians. Not enough space, time, or money for them.

That being said, if I ever had the space and the money, I might make an exception for a Pied Burmese Python. Love those.

5 Likes

Me too! I waiting until they start making the super dwarf version lol

7 Likes

I have a lengthy list, but a couple that top that list are a Gaboon Viper and a Blue Insulaurus :blue_heart:

3 Likes