Reptiles you'll never get

There are a variety of reptiles I could see myself owning, but realistically probably won’t ever either because of their care requirements or space. I love the idea of a tegu, but will probably never have enough space or time to care for one.

Well the realistic pet on my list is a Red Tegu…but I need to wait until I have the time and resources to raise it to be the “lizard dog”” Tegu’s have the potential to become.

If we’re talking unrealistic, a tie between a Retic or a Asian Water Monitor. I just refuse to give them less than a small bedroom sized enclosure when fully grown. The Retic would have more wiggle room since snakes tend to not be as active as lizards.

1 Like

I developed a painful disability in both hands following an injury in 2017. Along with ending my career and ability to work in general, it has drastically reduced my possibilities when it comes to reptile ownership. I had wanted a blood python for decades, and had always waiting for ‘a better time,’ and now that time won’t ever come. I’m hopeful that I’ll at least have a few more opportunities to see them in person at least.

4 Likes

Is this a “Would like to have but just will not get”? Or a straight “Will never have”?

Those are two separate lists for me.

There are countless herps I will never keep because they hold zero interest for me: beardies, leopard gex, Burm, retics, Nerodia, etc.

Then there are the animals I would love to have but are unlikely or impossible to get:
Charina umbratica
Oligodon kheriensis
Oligodon booliati
Scaphiophis raffreyi
Dipsina multimaculata
Myobatrachus gouldii
Moloch horridus

1 Like

I’d like to own a retic, as they have so many beautiful morphs.
However, I’m not gonna lie, the size factor is why I don’t ever see myself owning one.

Same goes with rhino and Gaboon vipers, absolutely gorgeous, but way too hot for me to handle.

2 Likes

Ah, I see what you did there! to hot to handle, and hot also means venomous! clever.

3 Likes

How does this injury lead you to think you couldn’t have a short tail? I don’t mean to probe, but I’m just curious.

There’s many animals I have no interest in, but I can’t say there’s anything I would want to acquire but never may. Anything I’m interested in is at least reasonably available and I’m willing to spend the money for it.

They will likely be too heavy for her to handle due to the pain she experiences in her hands. Also, it is a disability in her hands, no longer an injury.

2 Likes

Reptiles I will never own but wish I could… Tuatara (cause you cant… endangered) eyelash boa ( cause you cant… endangered) a boelen’s python ( size & price) a temple viper (cause they are hot) a solid black IMG boa ( maybe one day…if prices ever drop…lol)

3 Likes

Oh!! & a bushmaster… too hot…too big.

3 Likes

@ashleyraeanne was right on the money- the pain is too great for me to hold heavy things and the condition in my case is likely permanent, as I was repeatedly denied treatment early on. For example, it is painful to hold a 12-pack of soda because of the weight. A 20-pack is doable but I will have after-effects for a day. The pain would be so great if I tried to carry a costco flat of soda more than a few feet with my hands alone that I might pass out.

HERE is some info about CRPS. HERE is another perspective. One of these days I’ll have to get around to writing an actual introduction post… like a year late. Heh. :wink:

5 Likes

That’s so terrible, Bloods and short-tails are really awesome and I feel more people should try keeping them. I hope you know someone with them in their collection to get your fix

6 Likes

That’s awful. I’ll be praying that by some miracle it isn’t permanent and you can be fully healed. God is capable of more than you can ever imagine, don’t lose hope.

2 Likes

I would say kinghorni scrub python. Impossible to aquire and the largest of the scrubs.

3 Likes

It would be a Parsons chameleon or Rainbow boa

This is the most relatable post ever :joy::joy:

2 Likes

As a broke college student, a Lilly white crested gecko​:pleading_face::raised_hand:

1 Like

Trust me I feel that, large investment animals take a long time to acquire the funds to get. Do you plan to breed, if you were able to get one?

I would love a copperhead but probably won’t get one

3 Likes

Croc monitor, bush vipers & retic.
Croc monitor and retic because of space.
Bush vipers because I know myself and I would get bit sooner or later

3 Likes