Reptiles you'll never get

I completely agree one million percent! They are solely responsible for my snake obsession and I thank them lol

5 Likes

I’m 5’1 and a girl and I have two mainland retics and a Burmese Python.

To each their own, I love the rush of having to stay absolutely focused while working with them alone. And if it gets too much, always have lysterine, sanitizer, or rubbing alcohol to get them to let go if things go south.

Always have a game plan and never work with them unless everything you need is in arms reach, and a neighbor on speed dial.

3 Likes

I have a blood python myself. A nice T+. I highly recommend them. Definitely over ball pythons too. Balls brown out with age, but bloods just get better and better as they age.

My collection recently is
2 retics
1 burm
1 blood
2 red tail boa morphs
1 eastern hognose
1 Egyptian False Cobra (malpolon moilensis)
1 ball python (trading him out soon)
1 pure locality albino Northern Pine Snake

3 Likes

You got some cool stuff! could I trade you for a single crested gecko with no interesting genes in it :joy:

Absolutely!!! Don’t think people realize this! A bright red adult blood python is truly breathtaking!

5 Likes

Pffft hahaha you can keep the lizards lol.

I think for me, to answer the question of animals I can’t own at this time at least, lizards are off the table unless I find a lizard that can only eat rodents with supplements. I don’t want insects or veggies in my house lol

Hot snakes are definitely on the table though. I just need to find a mentor. And then move to SC so I won’t need to be burdened by a permit and wardens potentially showing up unannounced.

1 Like

I hate to be “that guy”, but an adult Burm or retic could choke you out faster than you could hit speed dial. If you are not working the two-person rule when dealing with large snakes then you are taking risks

2 Likes

I’ve heard the recommendation to keep a sharp knife in your pocket in case of the worst. Personally, until I have more experience, I’m not going to handle any snake without 1 person for every 5 feet of the snake.

1 Like

Does the 5 ft rule apply to BI as well?

1 Like

Well aware Sir. My first snake larger than a ball python, was an 11ft Burmese Python I rescued when I was only 13. That experience made me fall in love with the species even though I couldn’t keep the snake long term, at that time.

I highly do NOT recommend for kids or ANYONE doing what I did at that age. It was a very stupid decision. That was many years ago, but I still wouldn’t trade that memory for the world.

I know the power and force behind large snakes.

1 Like

There is not hard fast rule on size. I have a 2.4m blackhead, but she is only as thick as a soda can at her widest so she is easy for me to handle. I would not however, handle a 2.4m retic solo as they have significantly greater muscle mass by comparison

3 Likes

It depends, if it’s someone comfortable with the snake and the snake’s tame it would likely be okay for one person to handle it. It depends on how comfortable the person is with handling the snake by them self. I would say it doesn’t apply most of the time to snakes below 6-8 feet (of course still dependant on the person, their size, their comfort level, how tame and strong the snake is, etc.). But, no matter what, it would still be best to have someone else within shouting distance.

3 Likes

Hate to break it to you, but a knife won’t cut it. If it’s a strong feeding response, it’s going to probably stop biting depending where you stab it, but it’s still gonna keep squeezing.

Best recommendation is something that tastes horrible to the snake and unwrap from the tail. I’ve also seen Garret Hartle from ROR on YouTube recommend biting the snake on the tail to make it release. I personally wouldn’t do that unless it is a last resort

2 Likes

If worst comes to worst and it’s life or death I was thinking the knife could be used around the head, heart, or lung area. All other resorts are better (like what you mentioned biting the snake and trying to unwrap) but if someone doesn’t know that or it doesn’t work then more extreme measures may be necessary.

1 Like

Even if the snake is tame, there are so so many things that can potentially go wrong. Like what if you forgot to change shirts after messing with the neighbors pet rabbit? You washed your hands, but forgot the shirt.

That slip up can trigger a response in the tamest of reptiles.

Always stay on guard no matter how long you have known your giant or just dangerous reptile.

5 Likes

Head won’t do much except make it stop biting, lungs would probably be the same answer. It will still keep squeezing.

If you are to use a knife, best thing in my opinion to do would try to paralyze it.

2 Likes

I agree which is why I won’t handle large snakes (for a while) without someone nearby and who is able to help. Either way, no matter which way a knife is used (if it comes to that), you’re better off with one than without.

Fiji banded iguanas, and golden lancehead
Reasons.
. Fiji banded iguana I live in the us.
. Golden lancehead most likely illegal as pets in us if you can I will.

1 Like

Water monitors or nile monitors, I love them, truly I do, I just know I can’t provide the kind of enclosures/attention they need. They’re also illegal where I live, but I plan to move one day anyway to a state where I can keep vipers so that point is less relevant to me.

I dont neccesarilly love them but ive accepted the fact ill never own a taratula. I think theyre beautiful but the wife would never allow it. Also a baby crocodile.