Share photos of your first ball python!

This is a picture of my little girl Noodle. I bought her along with a veiled chameleon in an effort to cope with my xanax addiction by distracting myself. It worked, i stopped doing drugs and all my money since then has gone towards ball pythons :blush:. I rescued her from someone that couldn’t keep her anymore but i think she might’ve actually saved me…

11 Likes

This is my girl Judith my little firefly morph. We picked her up as an impulse at Raleigh Repticon in Dec 19. She was the first snake I “ohh’d” over when we walked in.

We’d originally only gone to pick up my daughter’s first corn snake and my hubby saw me go back to the same booth to look at her a few times and said “bring her home than” and that was that.
She’s my first BP and is the derpiest creature I’ve ever seen but I adore her.

6 Likes

He looks like a lace black back aka green pastel. They have an almost black back and more red colour. That’s why an almost simular one from a different breeder is called het red axanthic. But it must be written on his papers you got with him. Really nice snake. They can look so cute when they are resting :smiley:

2 Likes

Compliments to you that you managed to conquered you addiction, but be prepared for the next one because these snake are totally addicting :smile: but at least this is a healthy and fun addiction

3 Likes

This is Cold Brew, my Pied Het Lavender BP. Had him for two weeks now. He’s acclimated to his new enclosure nicely, eats on schedule and is very well behaved. Super pumped to have this guy as a first!

5 Likes

I was with my mom at the show and she says that she remembers the breeders calling him a black pastel. Those sound like opposites to me, so I am not entirely sure what that mix is supposed to look like. I remember choosing him over a female that wasn’t as dark. I like the darker more contrasting colors.

1 Like

I didn’t get any paperwork with him. I am new to this world and didn’t even know that was a thing. Is that something that matters a lot even if I don’t plan to breed him?

2 Likes

Ball pythons are on a protected species list with import limitations called the cites II list. So officially you’re supposed to get a document when buying one in which is written that animal is captive bred . Also the genetics are listed inside so most people use it mainly for that if they want to plan breeding or want to sell the animal. We call it a certificate of origins or transfer statement.

I don’t know how strict it is in the US but I have to be honest the form is not that strict here in Europe, but you must get one no natter from who you buy. When you buy straight from a breeder big or small , even the very small hobby breeders you always get one. You can simply not sell without one. It’s a standard thing but the way they look can be very different. The only thing that needs to be mentioned inside is the name of breeder or seller, the genetics so you can identify the snake, the type of species, gender, year it was born and that the animal was captive bred. Some don’t look much better than a piece of toilet paper. I have to be honest that the paper from my sunglow boa I typed myself. I bought her from a friend who only got a piece of handwritten paper riped out of a notebook. The breeder he bought her from was a beginning homebreeder who didn’t have a printer and was not prepared because he was officially only going to buy a tortoise. The thing looked terrible but all the info was inside, but it made me decide to copy it in a nicer document myself. If you want to sell him ever here in Europe you really need one, but you can make one yourself. But I would never put special genetics or gender inside if I didn’t know 100%.

But this is for Europe, I don’t know how this is in the US but you should have gotten one because Cites regulation are worldwide.

Black pastel is also possible but in general the don’t have such a clean black back. But to know for sure you have to know the genetics of the parents, so I assume he is a black pastel. Sometimes genetics can be confusing and you can only detect them 100% when you breed the snake and see the effect with other genes.

2 Likes

Wow! I had no clue. I have the breeders business card. I will see if they can email me something like what you described. Thanks!

2 Likes

MY first Ball python and only Ball python ( for now) pastel Lesser GHI Het Ghost. It has no official name yet , but I called it Snakie / but iI was thinking of naming it Giacomo. I built a wooden terrarium with heat mat…real plants…led lights …sliding glass doors and a double lid on top …took me a lot to get together but it came out great. Below is a Picture on the day it arrived… by the way Snakie is nothing like what i read about Ball python.
Always chill from day one … doesn’t get into a ball…eats live or frozen like a champ, and it enjoys being held.

3 Likes

Roman Phoenix :orange_heart: Born June 2019, 100% Het Clown Banana Ball Python

He’s so sweet lol

5 Likes

@jacktheripper420 That name is perfect :snake::+1:

@ericasnevermore Great find, I see why you went back (decisions r the worst). I luv to see lil :snake: grown up. Yellow :drooling_face:

2 Likes

@savedbysnakes welcome​:snake::+1: thanks for sharing awesome :snake: and Story! Remember it’s not how you start the journey it is how you finish!

1 Like

@kees_anderson Wow awesome high white! Enclosure is creative, lil🐍 will be crushing plants and basking! Good luck.

1 Like

@lindasark Yeah in US nothing like that, a business card and genetics on bag/deli cup. It really depends on the breeder, but they do not have to provide documents at time of purchase.

1 Like

@ashleyrogers76 Beautiful! Are u breeding when :snake: is ready, it would be cool to see a bunch of lil clown bananas mixes :snake::snake::snake::snake:!

1 Like

@agentsnake99 This is my first ball python, a 7 month old, male Bamboo @ 325 grams. Super friendly and beautiful morph! LiL Bruce Lee is a great pet and enjoys burrowing and crushing his plants in his bio active terrarium. LoL Oooh LiL Bruce Lee is an offspring from the famous YouTube bamboo ball python (Bobby), Pet/breeder tuber, Chris Hardwick.

7 Likes

screenshot.169

Our first ball python - Albino Enchi.
Have only owned her for 3 and half weeks and already ordered another ball python. Orange Dream Vanilla Enchi 50%het hypo comes tomorrow! The wife and I are hooked!

9 Likes

@reptileblvd awesome snake! Liking the GHI morph!

1 Like