Show Off Your Cresties šŸ¤©

I just put a waxworm in one of my leos enclosures (about 2 minutes ago). Sheā€™s crazy for food, she grabbed the waxworm, turned around, grabbed her own poop that I didnā€™t pick up yet (guess I need to do that first from now on) and in me trying to prevent her from actually eating it I put my hand next to her and she grabbed my finger. Then she seemed to realize that not everything was food. :sweat_smile: :rofl: Their teeth really donā€™t do much. And then I looked over at my crested geckos enclosure and Monkey was playing hide-and-seek. :rofl: Iā€™ll add a picture here in a few minutes.

Edit: Hereā€™s Monkey trying to play hide-and-seek behind a pothos. :rofl:

4 Likes

Both your geckos are funny :grin:

Cute pic of your Crestie

3 Likes

Oh thatā€™s alright then, I swear my younger fat tail thinks sheā€™s vicious and always tryā€™s to attack me, but if I get her in a tub then take her out sheā€™s fine. So wondering if viv defensive!

Haha I love the name you chose! Anymore images of monkey? Sheā€™s so pretty :blush:

1 Like

1 cm, thatā€™s hardly even bigger than a cricket. Even Chompy was hudge compare to yours. Sorry he died now, but you really did well in your care getting him up to 9 years. But seems she really gave you a love for cresties :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It was an adventure raising him, figuring out what he needed and how to give it to him. I already had a hudge admiration for reptiles but only saw them in the wild on holidays. The fun thing is that the first time I really saw them a lot was in the US. As an 18 year old I worked in one of those holiday camps from Camp America in Pennsylvania. They had a lot of snakes there, donā€™t even know which one but they for shure where very beautiful and fascinating, loved to see them crawling around doing their thing and spend a lot of free time watching them ( people in the US are really lucky with the amount of reptiles in nature, they are almost zero here in Holland) but never thought you could keep them at home. Raising Chompy gave me confidence it is possible to keep them so yes, we did get more. After that came a bearded dragon, leopard geckoā€™s, ball pythons ( 16 now), a blue tongue skink, and four boaā€™s ( three are smaller locality boaā€™s). We are even expecting ball python babies in a few weeks. So it was Chompy who really started it all, he will always be special.

4 Likes

I fully agree. I later on heard that they mostly donā€™t sell them until they are around two to three months. He was so small I had to get a scale for weighing gold to be able to weigh him. He was only a little over 1 gram. He didnā€™t even eat in the beginning. Had to put his food on a toothpick and rub it against his mouth to get him going. The worst thing is that they mainly sell to unexperienced keepers because an experienced person will know itā€™s not oke to buy them at that age, so the chance on a failure at the cost of the animal is even bigger. Luckily there are also respectable breeders like you who do breed and sell with care of the welfare of the animal in mind. And also for the buyer, I donā€™t know if I would have had enough trust in getting more reptiles if the first one would have died. These bad breeders indeed do cause damage to the hobby. Not only by risking the lives of the animals but also by giving new owners a bad expirience and giving anti reptile lobbyist extra food they can use for anti-reptile laws.

Iā€™m expecting my first ball python babies in a few weeks and already decided I will not put them up for sale under 100 gram. Started breeding mice now so food will not make me sell early, and indeed, questioning potential buyers over the care and set up is a very good advise.

I now mostly go to expoā€™s without my sonā€¦he made the crying thing on expoā€™s a habit. He got one other time a ball python through this but after that I didnā€™t fell for it anymore. Now he claims he can not stand seeing al these cute reptile faces and not being able to bring them home :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. But Iā€™m still happy I gave in with Chompy and the ball python.

3 Likes

Good luck with your eggs, we currently have 12 ball python eggs incubating :crossed_fingers: and hoping to pair some crested geckos soon :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

I will definitely be asking questions about husbandry etc. Letting any go will be so hard.

Kids learn pretty quick as to how to manipulate us :smiling_imp:

I donā€™t see reptiles in the wild, what got us into reptiles was my husbands rabbit died the day we got engaged, so I bought him a bearded dragon (she died a few years ago of tumors) and thatā€™s when we started going to expos where I found my lil Crestie and then ball pythons.

I havenā€™t been in years due to children, but Iā€™m hoping to go again once covid is in check. But I agree with your son, itā€™s sooo hard to say no :grin:

3 Likes

Oh what a lovely story, I swear itā€™s Cresties that get us addicted! I mean their facea are just so cute, theyā€™re fab, great personalities I swear!
Kaneki was my first ever Crested gecko and Reptile living alone (used to have beardies when younger), I saw him online with his brother (a friend has his brother now) both unsexed and 5g. My other half went to pick them up for me and that was it. I was hooked! He went straight into a 100x100x50 viv. Spoilt rotten. Out constantly with us, which is probably why heā€™s so dopey now! He turned 4 in April this year. So got a long time yet with him hopefully!
But since him it just went a bit mad, now have 36 along with hatchlings too, and other reptiles and amphibians aswell! Heā€™s one of my best breeders, sees a lady and mounts :joy: heā€™s a big chunk now and we actually have his son we kept back too. Itā€™s a lot of fun if you ever decided to get a lady friend for Chompy!
Oh keep us updated on your Royals! I have a Banana here, we did have 12 but had to make room for more Cresties so only kept my first one backā€¦ :sweat_smile:
And kids are fab, little manipulators youā€™re right Fox haha, We ended up with a guinea pig a few weeks ago after weeks and weeks of my daughter asking. :joy: So Morpeko is now here. And he actually has some brothers ready in about 4 weeks time (mum gave birth again to 3 little ones on the 11th) so we are having 1 of them too to keep him company when we arenā€™t home, or 2ā€¦ or all 3 if all males. Someone stop me :rofl:

3 Likes

Iā€™m such an animal lover, which doesnā€™t help, but Iā€™m pretty firm, helps that Iā€™m allergic to fur as I use it as an excuseā€¦ Although I would love another dog :thinking::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Those gears start to turnā€¦

3 Likes

And you start with oneā€¦ and end up with 3ā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

Just like meā€¦
Jersey first, Sandi second, and now Todi third.
:rofl:

1 Like

Iā€™m allergic to cats so thatā€™s them out the way, shame as used to rescue etc and had to rehome 7 couple years ago, I do play up with dogs occasionally and dust etc. Itā€™s great fun when you canā€™t breath! :expressionless:
But theyā€™re here and I love them soā€¦
Maybeā€¦ maybe a small dog? Less fur to loose :joy:
Hypoallergenicā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha!
I have Paisley, Poppy, and Zelda (Paisleys daughter) said the puppies would all go to family and friends but somehow she ended up stayingā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

But how could I say no to her stayingā€¦

4 Likes

If you want, you could go for Shih Tuz x Maltese (Marshmallow)

Sneak peak at one
And why not a pic of Tobi

He is a mini poodle x Maltese

Ps both are small 9-12 lbs and donā€™t shed at all

2 Likes

Oh my, so precious šŸ„²

2 Likes

I love energetic medium to big, not massive size doggies, although they are cute. Iā€™m not a small dog person.

My husband is not an animal lover and unless I can vacuum everyday, Iā€™m not allowed another dog.

Think Iā€™ll stick with Crestiesā€¦I hate housework :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s why I went for with my 3. My gosh itā€™s work but I love them.

Haha my other half is the same, he doesnā€™t even really like dogs. :joy:

Couldnā€™t find new girl Barb.
Seems to like little Starburst šŸ„²šŸ˜…

4 Likes

What a cutie. Dogsā€¦another love ā€¦have two of them to. They are now already quite old. One turned 14 last January and the other one is 12 years old but the still run around like they are in the prime of their life. Hope so much they are going to end up in guiness book of records as oldest dogs
Ever :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Really, life is so much better with animals in it!!!

But indeed, the muddy pawprints in the floor and enough hair to knit a sweater are the negative sides of them. Reptiles are a lot easier. Sometimes I think I will not get a dog again after theseā€¦hope I remember the extra time they cost by that timeā€¦but donā€™t know for shure I can stop myself when I look in cute puppy eyesā€¦ :sweat_smile:

2 Likes