Show off your Isopods!

That is so cool! I would love to do this because it would feel like a science project.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see the results!

3 Likes

Not really a “show off” because it’s just a common little isopod, but somehow I have now found two of these guys wandering around in my house! I put them in my crested gecko enclosure like a month or two ago and I’m pretty certain I didn’t drop any, so I have no idea how they’re getting out!

7 Likes

Are there gaps for vents in the bottom front of the enclosure?

Nope. It is a front opening enclosure, but inner frame for the door area has a lip, so that’s pretty well blocked off. Probably some of the tiny babies could squeeze through, but both isopods I’ve found have been larger. I’m thinking I must have lost a few when I initially put them in? I tried to be super careful, but who knows?

1 Like

I have 3 species atm
Dairy Cows (Porcellio laevis) in my cresteds bioactive

And the other two are colonys I’m starting they aren’t in bioactives or anything
Pied Powder Blue “Oreo Crumble” (Porcellionides Pruinosus)

And lastly my newest colony that was gifted to me
Pak Chong (cubaris sp.) these are arguably my favorite species I own and I just can’t believe I have them at all. they are so stunning and unlike my others they do roll up every now and again!

6 Likes

Those Pak Chong are awesome!!

1 Like

Some baby pod pics!

Orange Vigor

Koi

Croatian Giant

Calico

5 Likes

Still love these!

1 Like

I’ve got to get them a new container! These guys get huge and are starting to multiply!

1 Like

They have quickly become my favorite isopod I have! Also all of your little orange vigor babies are adorable!!

2 Likes

Thanks. The Orange Vigor adults get fairly large too.

1 Like

Armadillidium?

1 Like

Yes they are.

Definitely a pretty cool species, there’s a lot of variety in A. vulgare. I thought I was just being selective when it came to the colors of isopods, but there’s actually some really cool, what we’ll call nano, species, because they aren’t small enough to be dwarfs, so it’s not just variety in colors and patterns with isopods, there’s all kinds of sizes and shapes, too. These things are dangerous…

3 Likes

Absolutely right! I’m already planning my next several colonies to buy!!

3 Likes

Cubaris murina “Papaya”

8 Likes

I’m excited to be joining the ranks, soon! Luckily enough, I’ve got a friend starting some cultures for me. :grin:

I can’t remember all of them, but I know I’m getting some zebras and chocolate zebras.

Never thought I’d be excited about bugs. :joy:

5 Likes

I thought the same thing. I’m looking forward to some desert beetles as well in the near future!

5 Likes

What’s everybody looking forward to getting next?
Personally I’m going to look for oreo crumbles and (not isopods) ivory millipedes and blue death feigning beetles.

3 Likes