Show off your Isopods!

Thats so cool! He seems like a down to earth guy.

I love Reptiliatus’ like hour long isopod feeding videos haha

2 Likes

They are so calming :joy: No joke I fell asleep during one. They are cool.

3 Likes

They really are haha
I love having them on as background noise especially when cleaning/feeding the snakes

2 Likes

Yep. You have reminded me that I need to take some more pics of my collection and share it on the thread. The only one I did was P. bolivari for the introduction of myself. I’m falling behind…

2 Likes

@bughunter07 Yeah totally post more pics of your collection!

I noticed you put under worlds first, Armadilidium maculatum "Vertical”. I’d love to see what those look like!

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, but some of these bugs look cool.
Now I know I must be sick :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

They are technically crustaceans. :grin:

5 Likes

8 Likes

You all make me want them lol :joy:

6 Likes

Does anybody know if isopod lines have to be from the original lines to be labeled as them? I’m line breeding zebra isopods for some new traits and one of them have already been done (the other two are new :grin:). Specifically Armadillidium maculatum ‘chocolate’. Or would it have to be named something different?

2 Likes

As far as I know you keep the same name.

4 Likes

@erie-herps For a simple trait like chocolate you could keep it the same name.

@wrai A. vulgare “American Magic Potion”?

Yeah! I actually put the in a 16qt tub with only 6 in there, so it may be a while until I find one to tkat a pic of :joy: They have produced though and they seem to retain the crazy pattern! The summary of how they look compared to normal zebras, is that the line accross the segments are broken like A. mac “Spot” then somehow extended up the body like the “high white” trait. What you are left with is 3 big solid white lines running vertically down the body.

As far as I know, this hasn’t been done before. I look forward to see how the trait expresses itself further in the future. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what line my zebras came from, but my culture throws some crazy phenotypes. I have gotten a few yellow zebras, chocolates, hypo, Spot, high white, and every other combination you could think of. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They sound awesome! Can’t wait to see pics of them!

3 Likes

A. vulgare “Magic Potion USA” but yeah, same difference. I have others growing out now also, but those are top secret til they expand more. :male_detective:

6 Likes

How big is your culture? I have a ton of variety in mine too. In about 150-200 isopods I found over a dozen for the chocolate project and about two dozen for the new secret project. I found well over three dozen for an A-grade/high white line. The secret project will take some refinement before there’s a solid line but it’s a very good start. Do you have any older pictures of the verticals?

4 Likes

I would guess around 600-800 total. Most are juvies about 3/8" long and around 100 adults.

Yep, my culture really seems to lean toward low white expression, but occasionally (about 1/50) I get a crazy high white one. I only got a couple yellows except they were all female so I couldn’t isolate them properly and kept them in with the culture. I stopped seeing them a while ago and they were pretty large/old when I noticed them at first so they may have passed. :slight_smile: Who knows, maybe I have some zebras from the few yellows that are heterozygous for the yellow. About half my zebras are a rich mahogany/red color for some really extreme chocolate display. Other than the vertical zebras, my favorite are Champange Zebras (Choco High White).

No man, I made the dumbest mistake of my life by getting excited and throwing them in a big 16qt as soon as I gathered up about 6 of them. I see them occasionally, but I gave about 3" of super nutrient-rich substrate and lots of leaves that they haven’t even dented, so I’m pretty sure they are very happy where they are so why come out :joy: :sob: Absolutely CRAZY looking though so will keep you guys posted :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Quick question, does anyone know if P. pruinosus “powder orange pied” has a shorter common name?Like how powder blue pied has “Oreo crumble”??

2 Likes

P. pruinosus “Orange Cream” I think. :grin:

2 Likes

Awesome thank you!

2 Likes

Yep! Any time! Happy to help out a fellow hobbyist!

2 Likes