Show off your Rosy Boas!

Most boa constrictors don’t get anywhere near that large. A few species/locales do, or at least have the potential to reach that size. I think Surinames and Argentines are some of the larger ones that may routinely get to 7+‘, but most boas max out around 5-6’, smaller for males. Though they are relatively heavy-bodied and are very strong, so a grumpy 6’ boa is going to be more of a challenge/danger than, say, a grumpy 6’ carpet python, that’s much more slender. Most boas are quite gentle and chill, though.

I’ve been slowly stepping up the sizes of my snakes, haha. Started with a 3’ sand boa, then got a blood python, next I’ll get a boa, and then I plan to get a super dwarf retic. If I had more space, I’d want to get a mainland retic at some point, but unless my financial and living situation improves drastically in the future, that’s not really feasible. The super dwarf will probably end up being my largest/longest snake.

3 Likes

I’ve been working with Boa Constrictors for 21 years, and I’ve only seen an animal over 10ft on two occasions.

5 Likes

Im trying to stay under 6’ for many reasons. I honestly don’t think i could handle a 6 footer.

2 Likes

My personal limit is 10’, but only for animals with decent temperaments. Grumpy animals have a smaller size limit. Fortunately, my main “large snake” interest is in Boa Constrictors and Madagascar Ground Boas, which are less than 10’ and usually not particularly bitey. I tend to sell animals if they have an intractably poor temperament. I will say that my adult female Bolivian Amarali is pretty hair-raising though. But she’s so pretty! Yeah, she’s not going anywhere.

5 Likes

You could get something like a Sonoran boa. Even the females are likely to stay under 6’, and the males will definitely stay smaller than 6’ (more like 4-5’).

2 Likes

I have Tarahumara Boas, same species as Sonoran. Super Tiny. My yearlings are only 60-70g.

4 Likes

Eventual ill likey pull the boa trigger im sure. I definitely know for sure i don’t want something so large mainly because of my wheelchair. Don’t want to be struggling to wrangle or whatever a large species. Plus that large boa if they bite isn’t gonna be a cute little Rosy bite. Im sure itll happen maybe after i move sometime next year or 2. But it would be a pet not for breeding. Im sure my plate is gonna be full just with my Rosy Boas breeding project. I don’t want to get in over my head.

2 Likes

I don’t have a boa, but I just want to say everyone’s boas look amazing!

2 Likes

Yeah!
T+ Snowglow Inca?!
That’s a project.
I was surprised to see how fast the Nicaraguans were outcrossed. There are so many naturally occurring morphs within that locale, you could have had a good sized collection of just Nic morphs.

@rmleone You’ll find the right one. You’re making all the right decisions and @jawramik and @westridge are right:
boa constrictors come in several sizes, too. You’ll find the right one.
If you were to breed locale specific Crawl Cay boas, they’d be small and I’ll bet people would buy them right up.
Thanks, @foxreptile

3 Likes

@westridge she is a beauty! Thx for posting! Here are a few (filtered and unfiltered :camera_flash::nerd_face:) snaps of our Magdalena pair: Mork and Mindy. Na-nu na-nu :smiley:)

As Aaron says (as you can tell, I tend to post the pics for our company), such a big personality in such a tiny boa!!

We love these things :rose::snake:!!

9 Likes

And for our X-Men Classic fans, meet Wolvie and Storm, our Coastal Albino Rosy :rose: Boa :snake: pair :two_hearts:.

#voodoomagicboas

7 Likes

This is a fresh-shed shot of Sangria, an extremely colorful high-elevation San Gabriel. She was bred to Rum Punch this year but I’m not sure she is gravid.

8 Likes

Love the super orange :snake: :heart:. Definitely will make amazing babies.

She is looking rather thick in the lower half.

2 Likes

Love the coastals they are super small and adorable :snake: :heart:. Coastal is my jam for sure

2 Likes

I see it too.

1 Like

You can see the thickness right in here mist definitely looks gravid.

4 Likes

You’re probably right, I always second guess these things.

2 Likes

She’s stunning! :star_struck:

1 Like

Iliana my ray of light

7 Likes