Some Recent Macro Pictures

Rubber Ducky Isopod Cubaris sp.

Bumblebee Millipede *Anadenobolus monilicornis* The last two pictures are under a black light

Here are some other macro pictures I took while experimenting

All of these were shot with a Canon Eos R and a Tamron 18-400mm lens and most with extension tubes

15 Likes

Beautiful work!

6 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

Riley those are really really good!

5 Likes

Thank you!
I’m really enjoying macro photography so far. So, there will be more photos in the future.

2 Likes

Nice! I’ve gotta make these my desktop background!

3 Likes

These are very nice! I love the ink/smoke ones. Definitely keep practicing, it is an untapped world on potential.

2 Likes

@bughunter07
Thank you! It means a lot to me.
@lumpy
Thank you! I also just got more colors of paints in the mail, so I might practice some more of those today.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see them. I have been trying to get time (and money) to put some real effort into microphotography but haven’t yet sadly. But I will one day.

3 Likes

If you wanted to try the ink ones those were actually pretty simple. This tutorial here outlines it pretty well: Photographing Ink in Water. Except I think it’s best to use flashlights and a black background for this. Water-based acrylic paints work best for this but I just mixed acrylic paints into water.

2 Likes

Riley, these are amazing! The focus is just…

Hungry Food GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Yay canon crew!

3 Likes

Thank you! I took a few hundred pictures and only a couple dozen came out with good focus, lol.

4 Likes

Practice makes perfect! I can’t wait to see more! :heart_eyes:

Like the other Riley, I want to get into macro, but finding time is hard. I appreciate the lens info, though!

What do you use to process? Auto focus or manual focus?

Sorry, so many questions!

3 Likes

I like the lens for just about everything because it’s great for telephoto, wildlife, landscape, etc. It’s hard to think of something it can’t do. But for macro (with extension tubes) it doesn’t have a lot of magnification or working distance (distance between the subject and camera). It also doesn’t let a lot of light in. So I’m likely going to get a macro lens and I originally was looking at Canon’s lens but this lens is much cheaper and has better magnification (even though it’s heaver and doesn’t have automatic features). So if someone was going to get into purely macro photography I would recommend a dedicated macro lens.
If by processing you mean post-processing I don’t do anything at all. Whatever comes out of the camera is what I add here. In the future I might use cropping or focus stacking and I might experiment with adjusting things in Canon’s Digital Photo Professional. I have a personal grudge against auto focus (likely from the days when I had a canon powershot and it would never focus on what I wanted at zoos, specifically the reptile house, lol). So I almost always use manual focus (which is good because I can’t use it with extension tubes or teleconverters which I use in over 90% of my pictures).

4 Likes

Thank you so much!

I can’t use auto focus either. I learned how to shoot on a 35mm so auto focus frustrates the heck out of me. It’s just not the same.

When I do process, I use Lightroom on the iPad, mostly just to brighten/darken depending on what kind of lighting I’m shooting in. I used to use the canon program a couple of years ago, but the new one just isn’t the same.

Does this mean we will get more gecko pictures? :grin:

3 Likes

I have some extra time this week, so I can set up another photo shoot with my geckos. The only problem is figuring out how to contain the skittish ones so they don’t escape (maybe the extra 10 gallon tank would help).

3 Likes

Same here! Canon makes awesome cameras!

4 Likes

So cool! I love the pics! I’ve been interested in getting into it to. Can’t wait to see more :smiley: love the paint and the millipedes

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I have some ideas for some more pictures, so hopefully I can try it soon.

3 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing, this takes skill and patience, two thing I’m seriously lacking, well… More on the skill side but, lol

2 Likes