Somebody let me hold them!

I moved Orange Crush to her new home today, hope she loves it. She also let me hold her which is a 1st. Now IC and Snow are in their permanent home, which makes me happy and i hope they are happy.

Im actually really proud of OC the progress she made, she is a little skittish but not defensive.

17 Likes

Thats awesome. Consistency really helps

4 Likes

Yay!!! I am seriously thinking about adding a rosy boa to my collection. I found a great breeder on MorphMarket last night offering a pretty little rosy that caught my eye…….and in my price range!

And your Rosy Boas are beautiful Congratulations on your progress!

2 Likes

Thank you :snake: :heart:. You should get one, IMO i think they are awesome snakes, almost under-rated. To me they are perfect size and i have never had a feeding issue ever with them. They are picking up in popularity and now is a good time to get into them.

2 Likes

I’ve had rosys for 7 years and love them so much. Congrats. These are the snakes i key the kids hold as they do so well.

3 Likes

They are definitely kid size and ( most) are incredibly swee. Even when i got bit a couple times it really didn’t hurt just scared me the 1st time.

2 Likes

@austinjune99 So I just ordered my Rosy! He doesn’t ship until next Wednesday so I have plenty of time to prepare. I am thinking bio active down the road for him.

2 Likes

That would be cool, since all 3 of mine are albino im still trying to figure if going bio would do them harm or not. Currently i just use aspen bedding and i keep lights low not just for them but for me as i have photophobia ( wish they would use a better term) a phobia would be an irrational fear of something, im not afraid of light but it does cause me physical pain due tomy traumatic brain injury.

Bio dude said to use 7% UV im also concerned about impaction if they accidentally injest subrate. ( allegedly) Rosys can be kept on sand but i don’t know.

Congratulations on your new Rosy im sure they will make an excellent addition to your family. I absolutely love my Rosys, i know everyone has their favorites and of course they aren’t wrong for their choice, me it’s Rosy Boas all the way.

2 Likes

Rosys rule. Not to start a brawl but having had Rosies and Hoggies, Rosies are the bees knees as smaller stocky-ish snakes go. Easy to keep. Only making the comparison ‘cause they’re really underrated.

3 Likes

and @austinjune99 @ensignofindustry My beautiful little Rosy boa baby boy came today and he is gorgeous and perfect! He is a Maricopa Mountain. He is tucked away in his new home and I am going to leave him alone for a few days to let him adjust and recoup from the trip! I will take a picture of him later on and post it to you guys.

Also I have a water bowl question. I never knew water could be detrimental to rosy boas. What is your protocol?

Thank you :pray: in advance!

3 Likes

Its more the humidity that is not good for them than water. I just use little water bowls that they cannot soak in. 60% or under for humidity. Most of my animals enclosures are 50% and lower occasionally when humidity hits like 84 or 86 that ive seen lately outside im able to still keep abot 54% i keep my dish on the cool side so the heat doesn’t evaporate the water making humidy rise. If i notice a spill which is very very rare like 1x I’ve seen i cleaned up the spill and removed the damp subrate. I also run a room dehumidifier sucks for my poor plants but great for my scorps and rosys. Just fill your bowl/dish like half full.

Not sure if bioactive would work since these guys need dry environments. Anything that would support your standard cleanup crew would be too humid.

1 Like

Ok thank you! I thought it had to do with them drinking too much water after a meal. I am in the Midwest so horrible humidity in the summer but furnace eats up the moisture in the winter.

So in actuality there is really no mystery here. Just good ole common sense!

Thank you!

1 Like

Yes I very much agree Ashley! After researching more on Rosys I have come to that conclusion as well. What works for a few may not always work for all.

Thank you so much for the advice! I do appreciate it!:wink::+1::snake::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I looked into bioactive but for me it was too many negative vs positive.

Being that my Rosys are Albino im really concerned about UV lights and exposure. I just use natural light and red lights, i really want to protect their sensitive eyes and body. I know some guys say they use UV and they seem fine, but i just don’t feel comfortable in even remotely causing stress or harm.

I also worry about the substrate and the possibility of impaction if they accidentally ingest soil or sand.

I just try to give them an enriching enclosure with my aspen bedding paper towel rolls( they love those) hides some branches and leaf litter. A small bowl for water that i fill half full. My rosys drink on occasion i see them, but they don’t drink a lot.

@caron if you dont have a humidity guage, definitely get one, @85° heat for their temp my house is always about 82/83 so my rosys very rarely lay in the hot side at 85° they will on occasion lay there but again its rare.
So if you have similar heat situation id worry more about the humidity, keeping that as close as you can to that 60% and under. I bought a room dehumidifier on Amazon it wasn’t too expensive, but if you are struggling with humidity, more screen/mesh air circulation will help and the dehumidifier will suck the humidity out just empty the reservoir as it gets filled up. You can use it to water plants so it doesn’t go to waste but i wouldn’t use as drink water.

Now the end of Thanksgiving you want to give your Rosys the last meal before brumation. ( there’s 2 sides to that one saying its not necessary and others say it is. Now in the midwest im sure it will get much colder than here in California. About December 1st you want to move them to a dark place place them in a brumation tub if you desire. Just lower the temperature to about 62° or high 50s just leave them be, only offer water while they may be brumating they still may get thirty. Towards the end of February you can raise the temp up and feed if they accept, small meals at first, then feed up that female so she can bulk up for breeding.

I know im excited for this coming breeding season, even if i only get 1 that i keep.

I don’t know how cool my room is but i was thinking of getting an AC for my room to get the temperature down to what i need. I can’t turn on my apartment AC because that will affect all my desert scorpions.

2 Likes

Thank you so very much for this advice/information! It is very much appreciated! We will see what the future brings! :slightly_smiling_face::snake::+1::wink:

2 Likes

Hopefully beautiful healthy babies :heart:.

2 Likes

I keep my Rosy…& now my new one…on a play sand / reptibark mix…about 2/3…to 1/3 mix…with lots of rocks in their cage. I use overhead halogen lights. Lotus has done very well…no problems…cant really speak on the new one yet…but I actually keep them similar to my Keyans with more hides/ branches. & the water issue. Lotus…who I keep a water dish with …will like water log herself…it is a thing with rosies. They like to set a drink to much water. Ive noticed in experience. She will not eat if I change her water the day before feed…so…I fill a small dish once a week…after about 3days it drys out with the heat & then I change it again right after feeds. So she goes without water about 4ish days a week…& Ive found that to be the sweet spot with her. I just got my other last weekend @ Tinley. I have 2 now. Really just pets…I love Rosies. Breed Keyans…have 16 currently…lol

1 Like

As far as possible for “bio active”…I already keep on natural like conditions…just a thought…but I thought about adding a big death fainting beetle or 2 as a clean up crew…dont know if anyone has tryed this successfully…but it sounds neat in theory to me. Will be doing cross reference research before attempting though…lol

1 Like

Im mean depending on localities…they are from the same areas

1 Like