Spayed female, gravid 🙃 (Ovarian Remnant Syndrome)

Thinking about you and Celia this morning, Jess. Prayers that all goes smoothly. I know that this is stressful. I’ll be so happy for you when the surgery is done.

3 Likes

Thank you, @caryl! I dropped her off at the clinic about 45 minutes ago, they scheduled me to pick her up at 4:30. I did ask that photos be taken, and if possible (and not a threat to Celia), eggs saved to attempt incubation. Now the anxious wait until they call with her post-surgery update.

Edit: I guess they want to keep her overnight, so I’ll be picking her up tomorrow morning.

7 Likes

Good luck to her!

5 Likes

I am pleased to report Celia has come through surgery and will be returning home tomorrow! They ended up removing twelve eggs this time (16 last time, she really tried hard!) but they’re non-viable, according to the vet. I’m okay with that, I just want my girl happy and healthy again. What a relief to know she’s come through it all in her typical Celia style.

8 Likes

That’s great news! I’m sorry the eggs were not viable, but since it wasn’t from a breeding and even if removed on the exact day she would have laid the fertility more then likely would’ve still been pretty low. Did the vet get any pics for ya? Even if you don’t want to post them on the community(if you think too graphic) I would be interested in seeing. Once again, glad it worked out for your girl!

5 Likes

I’m so happy to hear Celia is doing well!

5 Likes

@banereptiles I’ll ask about photos when I pick her up tomorrow, will definitely share if I get any!

It’s so nice to have the support of the community on this, really has made the stress much easier to deal with.

7 Likes

Yay, so glad Celia made it through the surgery well. Too bad the eggs weren’t viable, but the important thing is that Celia is okay.

6 Likes

I knew she was gonna be ok! Im really glad!

5 Likes

Wonderful update! So glad to know that Celia is officially through with the surgery and recovering well! I’m sorry that there were no viable eggs, that would’ve been cool - but the primary goal of getting her healthy is well on its way to being met! Hooray!!

5 Likes

Thank you all for the support through this whole crazy ordeal. I just got home from picking her up and I can now give a bit more info.

Seems during her first spay, only one ovary was active, making the second essentially invisible in all the mess that was going on at that time. This second surgery of course none of her anatomy looked normal, making things a little more difficult. Her vet used a different suture in hopes of avoiding a second issue with reaction to the material. She now has one long scar on her left side to go with the two smaller ones on the right.

All that said, she’s doing really well considering what she’s been through. She was a little flat when I picked her up, but now that she’s back in her enclosure, she’s perked right up. Moving pretty slowly, but you would, too, if you had an incision taking up almost 1/4 of your body! Overjoyed to have her back, she’s gonna be spoiled until she’s healed up, then for the rest of her natural life.

12 Likes

Did you get pictures of the surgery? I am so happy she got through this well and will have a long, spoiled life :blush:

6 Likes

Not yet, though I think I will eventually. The vet had an emergency and was out today. Hoping Celia’s recovery is uneventful so I can get weight back on her and eventually redecorate her enclosure. I’ve kept it sparse right now because I don’t want her snagging the sutures on anything or getting an infection.

7 Likes

Hooray for Celia!! I’m so glad that she’s home again. I’m sure you’re so relieved to have this past. I can sympathize with your lovely girl about feeling grateful to be home after major surgery. Hopefully she’ll heal uneventfully from this point.

7 Likes

Glad she is doing better now! That does look like a long incision, I wonder if the vet had ever done this regenerative type surgery before? Hope she heals nice and fast for ya!

6 Likes

I will say, I didn’t experience her first few days home with her first surgery, so it’s tougher this time. She’s still incredibly groggy, to the point of not even really fully going into her hide. Trying to tell myself this is normal, she’s resting like she needs, they told me she’d be this way for a bit. Totally jarring to look over and just see her back half out of her hide, stock still. I did help her get a quite a long drink earlier, and I’ll probably try feeding her when she’s a little perkier.

6 Likes

That does sound alarming. It’s hard watching animals come out of anesthesia. I suppose herps do it more slowly, since their metabolism is so much slower than that of mammals. The vet I worked for back in the day didn’t do snake surgery and until now, none of mine have required surgery. (Of course that’s changed this year.) I’ll be glad when the lovely Celia metabolizes her anesthesia and is less distressing all around.

4 Likes

Well, I figured out how to get her to be more responsive: dinner! I decided to offer, since I needed to feed a few others tonight, and while it took her a moment to realize what it was, when she did, mouth immediately went for the grab. Obviously took her longer to eat, but I watched to make sure she didn’t have any issue and fully swallowed. She’s now searching her enclosure for more food. :joy:

6 Likes

Couple photos because wow did she really perk up! As you can see, she has no problem moving even with her incision. Hazy because I took them through the side of her bin.

10 Likes

Glad everything is going so well. She’s got a lot of heart!

4 Likes