Spider Gene?

If you want to see more positive experiences with wobble, look up breeder channels on youtube. A lot of breeders have them. I know BHB, NERD, and some of the other big names have addressed the wobble issue specifically.

3 Likes

Olympus Reptiles as well is one I follow along with

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll definitely be checking them out!

1 Like

I think our setups are the same. My spiders are absolutely wonderful, and the snake room is in a low traffic outbuilding completely self contained climate controlled. The spiders I have rarely wobble except at feeding time, when I’m working with them, they are actually more timid and curl up compared to my other morphs. I think the key is to pay attention to the animals and adjust care to meet their needs, they thrive.

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. I agree 100%. They just need a little extra TLC not much just a smudge more than my other morphs. I find my spiders to be much more confident than some of my other morphs. My blade stuff I hatched this year boy I must of dropped mean streak in their water cause sheesh they are snappy danger noodles. My spotnose stuff care free same with my pied stuff lol. My spiders are my golden child lol.

3 Likes

Personally I don’t breed spiders. Obviously there is an issue with the morph. We have no way of knowing if this condition causes the spiders any pain or discomfort, and they haven’t been around long enough for us to know if it shortens their lives.

Some people claim that their spiders are fine, but I’ve read more than one account of spiders who didn’t show the signs until later in life, and heard far too many stories about the severe cases. The videos I’ve seen are extremely sad. And I know that for every forum post or video, there are even more that people just keep quiet about it, because they’re embarassed or don’t want to tarnish their reputation.

1 Like

I personally am not a fan of the gene, but I have never been the type to bash people for what they enjoy. That and I just don’t like the way the patterns look most of the time. Just make sure that if you do get one, go to a breeder that produces them with love for the animals, and not just to make a killer profit off a cool looking snake. Unfortunately there do exist breeders that produce snakes with severe wobble without telling the buyer, as I have seen it happen. If you want a snake with a slightly similar look without any potential risk though, you could always get a pinstripe combo. I personally have a pastel banana champagne and he has zero wobble, and the breeder I got him from has champagnes that have never showed signs of wobble. I haven’t seen any champagne with a wobble, however, no matter how you try to breed the wobble out of spiders, it will always be there in times of stress or excitement.

2 Likes

@dmerrio This was a fantastic way of putting it, I appreciate seeing your perspective on the matter! I suppose part of me is intimidated by the prospect of starting with a “difficult” morph because I’m not entirely familiar with BPs yet.

@scosta56 I just picked up the most inquisitive and sweet spotnose, I couldn’t be happier with him! Is it true that they tend to wobble a little?

@ashleyraeanne & @spacecoastreptiles I’m personally not a fan either, but I do adore queenbee. Those have spider in them, don’t they?
If I were to begin breeding balls, I probably wouldn’t produce spiders either, just outta preference. But I don’t suppose I’d mind keeping one as a pet!

2 Likes

@herpjay Spotnose do NOT wobble. There have been some cases where a super Spotnose has had some wobble. Most folks don’t breed for supers

3 Likes

Yes, any ball python listed with “bee” in the name has spider in it. Pinstripe combos with Mojave/lesser/butter and pastel/super pastel have similar colors and patterns. The Jigsawblast(Pin, Mojave, pastel) is an amazing looking combo. Of course the lesser/butter combos will look a bit more like a queenbee.

2 Likes

Sable has a wobble in the super form. Chocolate doesn’t have these issues in my experience. Same spider sable is a bad combo but not lethal. Chocolate spiders seem to be fine. Also spider and blackhead are alleic and create a als. It’s takes away the wobble.

1 Like

I have zero issue with anyone doing what they wanna do with what they own and this is the touchiest most emotional topic in this hobby…some people get blinded by there love of there own animals and totally downplay the issue to where they wont even listen to actual experiences when they are negative…that being said I am disappointed seeing all these Scaleless spiders popping up and DO NOT understand the mindset of compounding issues at ALL…I love the way the morph looks but I bought into a long time ago and had issues with it from jump and cant stand when people take such a strong stance they wont even listen so I stay COMPLETELY out of it and if anyone thinks Scaleless Spiders is a good idea I wpuld love to read as to why??? Just for a good laugh…AND I REPEAT I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH SPIDER BRED THE RIGHT WAY…

3 Likes

Can I ask what problems scaleless have? As far as I’ve read, most seem tk function and shed fine in life.

Bells and whistles…been around a long time and anything with the high price tag the negatives wont come out till that price drops…the fact that they dry out and most if not all hatchlings will be seen in a half inch of water whcih means they have an issue retaining moisture and I’ll stop there before the neg info police come…stay in this in long enough you’ll know what that means…I seen one in a video the other day chimera style with one working eyeball AND EVERYONE was like that’s sooo COOL…except the poor snake

1 Like

Ah I would have thought they had dehydration issues…
And I believe an animal that’s deliberately bred to be disabled isn’t cool, but I don’t think that’d be the case for the chimera. It makes its life more difficult for sure but I don’t suppose it knows any better. I haven’t seen the chimera you’re talking about though.

Never thought of a reptile with scales being scaleless would be seen as anything other than a disability…but most of us do love us a freak show which is why the crazy appeal if it all…herp people are passionate about there stances though (especially online) so that’s all I gotta say about that… I’ll just steer clear…it’s inevitable anyway and none of em are 4 years old yet so anyone that says its JUST FINE NO PROBLEMS is delusional weather there is or isn’t

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with people breeding the spider gene or keeping the spider gene in their collection. I decided after hearing about the wobble to not invest my time in the spider gene, and I plan on sticking to that plan. I have no intentions of ever working with Spiders - regardless that they make super badass looking snakes. Instead of spiders I decided I’d move to pinstripe. Sometimes they look the same (imo).

Spiders have been around for a long time, and even after all the “SPIDERS ARE BAD. THEY HAVE A WOBBLE” they’ll always be around. These long time and big time breeders aren’t going to get rid of a snake they’ve had in their collection for 15+ years because of an uncanny outcry for their wobble. It’s been around, but it’s just now that for some reason that they are getting a lot of heat.

2 Likes

I agree with you. Scaleless ball pythons gave me a bit of a bad feeling. I just don’t know if it’s in the best interest of the animal to be breeding it without scales when snakes evolved scales over millions of years for protection. I understand that none of these animals will ever be re-introduced back into the wild, but at the same time, I don’t think it’s right to be breeding an evolutionary weakness into the animal. For all we know, the snakes could be in some degree of pain from their lack of scales. Also, what happens when the snake won’t eat frozen thawed? It stands a greater chance of being injured by the prey item when it isn’t being protected by a layer of hardened scales.

2 Likes

Constrictor Addiction did an awesome 3 part series on those that put my mind to ease, I felt the same just from “common sense,” like you’re saying but I feel like I know much more about them now and it did a great job of explaining husbandry etc.

1 Like

Spotnose on it’s own DOES NOT wobble the super form (Power ball) does wobble. Not sure where this rumor started but it is not the case. I have MANY spotnose in my collection and none with the exceptions of ones with champange and hgw combos have a wobble.

2 Likes