Spotnose + Champagne = Mismatched Eyes?

I have a lesser fire female…no one would probably do this pairing but I think putting her to a lesser fire male and getting a BEL with one blue eye and one black eye would be insane…but I don’t even know if it is possible.

2 Likes

Harlan Wall made Champ/Sable years ago and all of his crashed after about two weeks so I would put them in the mostly lethal realm.

So I know that the explanation of what it means to be allelic was covered but I feel like you were more asking why Spider and Blackhead look so different while still being the same gene.

Easiest way to think of it is like a kitchen faucet, one of those ones with a single handle controlling the water temp. Under normal conditions, the faucet turns on right in the middle with a normal temp. Spider bumps the faucet all the way to the left so it only runs hot. Blackhead bumps the faucet all the way to the right so it only runs cold. Hot and cold are opposite ends of a single spectrum.

So to with Spider and Blackhead. The Spider mutation turns down the level of expression of the black pigmentation. Blackhead turns up the level of expression of the black pigmentation. Opposite ends of a single spectrum.

Make sense?

I have been waiting for a couple years for someone to comment about this. I have seen BH/Spot combos around for a while but no one has been willing to talk about clutch outcomes with them. Been driving me nuts! So thank you for providing some initial info and please keep us updated :+1:t4:

6 Likes

@t_h_wyman I hatched out two champagne sables in a clutch several years ago. Both had a moderate wobble. But both thrived from the time I hatched them until I sold them. They were in my care about 6 months. I would never repeat this type of breeding due to the wobble being worse than I felt comfortable breeding. Also another St. Louis area breeder has had them the last couple years. They always appear healthy as well. I am 100% sure mine were champagne sable because the pairing was super sable vanilla x citrus champagne.

2 Likes

Interesting. Harlan’s were a wreck from the get-go and just ended up failing to thrive

4 Likes

So in following this thread are we thinking that Spotnose and Champ are allelic? Or just discussing the weird eyes? Asking because I have a spotnose Champ girl I’m growing up so very interested in this thread. I will check out her eyes again in case I missed anything weird there but she hasn’t shown a noticeable wobble yet.

1 Like

I don’t believe champagne and spotnose are allelic imo. I believe chocolate sable and spotnose are allelic. And blackhead, champagne, hgw, and spider are alleic. But some of the combos with the spider complex are lethal.

1 Like

Ok, I was skimming this thread at work and making sure that I wasn’t missing that being said.

1 Like

Yes, exactly what I was asking! Your explanation was spot on. Thank you!

3 Likes