Substrate questions

I normally don’t shop at Petco, but I was saw their Australian Desert Dragon Habitat substrate and thought it would be good for some thick tailed geckos which I will be getting sometime in the near future, but I wanted to check your opinions first to make sure it was ok. Link to substrate on website

1 Like

Not a Petco shopper either really…never heard of this particular substrate before…but I read the description & its looks to be good stuff!

As a keeper of snakes that feeds F/T, loose substrate of any kind is a not a good idea. And even for lizards especially the ones that you plan to have roaming and trying to catch their food (not in a bug cup). It just looks like a problem waiting to happen. I too have not seen or use this product because I try not to support major chain stores because of how they care for their animals. I have seen a lot of people have good success with that excavator clay with a nice thin layer of other types of substrate, obviously after it’s made and dry.

I am sure that similar types of geckos (leopard geckos and fat tailed geckos) would apply to what @mblaney could add to this.

1 Like

@lumpy curious as to what you have your snakes on if not a substrate, kitchen towel?
My Hideyoshi and all previous Royals were and is on orchid bark. New one will be also. Though he does strike feed Frozen/thawed!
I also use orchid bark mixed with the same substrate I use for my Cresties for my fat tails. Never to this day had a problem with them catching bugs and eating it.
Also when I had leos I had them on sand like substrate with no issues either when hunting for their crickets!
I’m in the uk, but the one above looks good IMO. But I would see if you can find other keepers and ask what they use too!

1 Like

I personally keep mine on large chip coco bark from Reptichip

Loose substrates are usually classified as sand or small gravel

2 Likes

Ah, we usually class anything loose as loose substrate here :joy:

3 Likes

Also, I dry my rats to help with the substrate not stick.

2 Likes

@lumpy Just looked into it a bit more, and the substrate is literally mined straight from where the geckos live, around southern northern territory and northen south australia, so if it’s from where they live, it’s gotta be good.

2 Likes

I use play sand mixed with the Zilla brand Jungle mix. I use it for all my sand boas…my Uro & my leopard gecko…& recently just upgraded my hognose to half that…half reptibark. I havent had a issue with it personally. I did however used to use crushed walnuts (live & learn)…that I had major problems with because its so abrasive!!

With my sand boas…I hit their mice with my hairdryer real quick…so it wont stick.

1 Like

I actually refuse to use to shredded coconut fiber… I had a little worm snake accidentally eat some with a worm…& there was nothing I could do to stop him.& he impacted & passed. Not harpong on others if the use it…but cause of personal experience it just isnt for me…

Then I think it could be fine, the reason why I am so nervous when it comes to loose substrate is that I’ve heard some true horror stories. I am sorry if I caused any problems.

1 Like

Loose substrate…if not done right…can be a disaster!! Plenty of people have had impact issues out there! Dont ever use a clumping type sand…it should be silica base. & Calcium sand is only goid for building expensive sand castles!!! Lol

2 Likes

I don’t think you caused any problems!
You’re only helping! A lot of people I’ve seen don’t use any kind of substrate with a lot of reptiles to minimise any risk of impaction.
Whereas myself and a lot of others try to make sure the enclosure if as close to our reptiles natural habitat as possible!
All down to preference I think. I myself prefer the bio enclosures where as I know a lot of keepers of cresties say just use paper towels and fake plants! And even keep them in tubs.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, I don’t know much about thick-tails, so I don’t have much to add. Though I’ve also heard very positive things about Excavator clay.

3 Likes

Your right to be nervous over a substrate…especially one your not familiar with or have never personally touched.

2 Likes

Original question thO…from what I was reading on the product description…It would get my approval. But…it would be nice to touch it for an absolute thumbs up!!

1 Like

Other questions do come to mind in terms of substrate too…like are you using undertank heaters…radiant panels…full heat lighting…what kinda cage. Etc… is it bioactive…how often will you spot clean verses strip all litter…etc… really its about researching as much as you can…understanding how they do li e in the wild & finding what works for you. :slight_smile: expect for Calcium sand…never a good idea…

1 Like

to answer your questions, heating pad, front opening exo terra, it is bioactive, I would be mixing in the biodude’s terra sahara, and spot cleaning whenever I feel it needs to be cleaned.

2 Likes