Success! Tri-Color Hogs

We have had a successful lock with our Tri-Color Hogs! Very excited to go through this process and hopefully get some baby TCHs.

19 Likes

Congrats!! Can’t wait to see the eggs and eventual baby hogs :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m hoping to get a pair of tricolors myself in the future. Haven’t had any luck finding females on the marketplace so I’m biding my time :rofl:

3 Likes

Those are hognose?! I had no idea they came in that color/pattern! Very cool!

4 Likes

@mblaney These are Xenodon (formerly Lystrophis) pulcher, not Heterodon nasicus. They are a South American species that top out around 2’, with a little sexual dimorphism.

5 Likes

Look at them doing the sexy time

And you taking pictures LoL.

2 Likes

@ag2357 only for documentation purposes, I swear! This is a judgement free zone, right?! :flushed:

4 Likes

Congratulations that is one awesome accomplishment :sunglasses:

1 Like

Congratulations that’s awesome! I don’t know a lot of people who have successfully bred tri colors!! Super cool stuff!!!

1 Like

Be prepared for lots of babies, my female just laid her 7th clutch, once every 40 days or so. Whether I introduce the male or not. They just won’t stop.

4 Likes

Also, eggs show little to no veining when candled at first, they take a couple weeks to show up. Look infertile to begin with. 90 days to hatch at 78.

3 Likes

Maybe that is why they are such a short lived species? Rapid reproduction probably takes a toll. Or maybe they are designed for it through evolution because they are short lived.

4 Likes

Perhaps, I don’t know why we aren’t knee deep in the little guys.

3 Likes

sorry uploaded the wrong pic, saw the orange and white, thought it was the pair.

2 Likes

@som16724 Thanks for the info! I have a second female, but I might hold off introducing the male to her until I’m confident I can find homes for the babies. Also going to be looking at some selective breeding to increase the white, red, or black in future breedings.

4 Likes

They’re only short lived because people feed them rodents, I’m afraid.

Has it been documented that they live longer in the wild on a amphibian diet? Just curious.

3 Likes

There’s a MPR podcast episode with Dr. Zac Loughman about snake digestion in which he mentions tricolors and other related species. The whole podcast is full of really valuable information and I’d encourage everyone to give it a listen. If I recall correctly there hasn’t been a study specifically on tricolors in the wild, just anecdotal evidence that they’ve had longer lived animals in captivity on non-rodent diets.

4 Likes

Here’s the podcast in question, tricolors are mentioned around the 44 minute mark.
4 Likes

Well, looked in on her this afternoon and she gave us 8 beautiful eggs! Really excited to get these incubated and see the little buggers hatch!

7 Likes

Congrats!! I just picked up my first female, excited to grow her up and get a male for her in the future.

2 Likes