Super OD? Maybe

Meet Richard. He is my surprise noodle. I bought his parents as orange dreams, no hets nothing. At first i was sure he was super od, but now not sure. Seems too pale. Pairing was orange dream ( surprise het clown) to orange dream ( maybe blade surprise het orange dream) little aggravated over it, as it makes it harder to get the morph we bought them to produce.

8 Likes

More images on a clear surface in natural light will help. :blush:

3 Likes

8 Likes

Can you post pictures of the parents too?

4 Likes

They just ate so no handling. Dad i suspect is blade as well

Mom od only i think

4 Likes

Blade is hard to ID without a full body shot so we will need one on dad with him stretched out.

2 Likes

Ok later this week

1 Like

Upon looking online.

I’m thinking blade clown, unsure on od.

@saleengrinch @chesterhf @solarserpents tagging some good people for ya! :blush:

2 Likes

I would love to help but neither blade or orange dream are my specialty and don’t feel comfortable giving a good id on either gene.

3 Likes

Well, I can think of other people

@ballornothing, @osbornereptiles, and I don’t know if @t_h_wyman works OD or not but he is always a good person to tag :blush:.

2 Likes

Travis works with orange dream and is very good at identifying it!

1 Like

Ah… But he does not work with Clown so take it with a grain of salt…

Based on the high pattern reduction, I think there is a good likelihood that it is a SuperOD. Bit there is certainly Blade in there as well and that can skew things

8 Likes

I’m inclined to think so. The headstamp looks SOD at least. As @t_h_wyman mentioned blade kinda monkey wrenches the situation.

How many times has that baby shed?

4 Likes

Hatched around Christmas, so many many. I thought the egg was dead, it was flat, and turning colors, shell wasnt really soft despite 99% humidity. So i cut around day 48/49 thinking i was going to find a dead OD or normal ( small window in the egg) i was shocked to find a live baby let alone a clown. My first 2 responses were oh ***** i really really messed up and now the baby was going to die and 2 WTF is that, wasnt possible with what i knew of the parents genetics. I got on. The phone with my friend to help me as much as we can. This baby is only 100 grams. Started at 35 grams. I still feel horrible about what happened. I thought he was dead so i was just cutting to see what i lost as he was the only egg that survived again for unknown reasons. I have had 1 hell of a year and honestly considered throwing in the towel.

2 Likes

That’s why I always say you would be surprised healthy snakes can come out of freaking terrible eggs lol. If you got them over 100 grams you should be in the clear!

I have definitely been there hope things turn around for you for real!

5 Likes

Thanks, i really stuggle with myself when things go wrong. I sat and cried because i just knew i killed the snake (i didn’t obviously) i beat myself up horribly. I have lost so many eggs this year for reasons i dont know. Incubator is fine, i use govee and absolutely no swings in anything outside or inside the tub. I have a clutch in it now, lost an egg early on but the remaining 4 are fine. Lets hope none are pied so i can assume the tri stripe sired.

2 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up. Anyone who does this for a long time for real has bad years. Most people don’t talk about things that went wrong or they haven’t really been breeding that long.I had two years in a row were I lost a lot of eggs forced me to take a harder look at my own individual practices and correct some things. But other times it’s unavoidable losing eggs and hatchlings is honestly part of breeding but it super sucks lol. I would stay open to figuring out what you MAY be doing wrong.

3 Likes

And no one wants to talk about that “special” section of their freezer…

5 Likes

Here is the sire stretched out im natural light

5 Likes

Hey, dont get in your head too much. Alot of times, we are over thinking things. If we look at how mother ball pythons hatch eggs on their own, we are going way overboard, and in many cases, this is the cause for failed clutches. There is an old saying " a man is only as good as his tools." This holds true in this case. When i began this many years ago, i was motivated to breed and sell snakes, and tried to shortcut my way up the latter. That only proved to be the worst approach ever, and quite honestly, irresponsible on my part. My point is, while many people build and have success with DIY incubators (thats how i started), i since have invested (keyword invested), in a CSERPENTS, professionally made incubator, and use either just water, or hatchrite for my substrate. Ive also moved away from press and seal, and switched to egg boxes that have a rubber seal along the lip of the lid, ensuring an airtight seal. Absolutely 100% full proof. With hatchrite there is absolutely no mixing, comes ready to go with the correct amount of water already added. Again, i am not pointing the finger at anyone who uses anything else, as i know plenty of breeders who have high success rate with DIY, all im saying is, before you throw in the towel, try outfitting yourself with full proof tools. Now, if you already have the mentioned items, just retrace your steps, dont be ashamed to reach out for help. Thats what this platform is for. If you need help just ask. I hope you cheer up and hang in there. Until then, just remember whatever it was that got you into this hobby, and press forward!

2 Likes