Tank vs tub growth rate

Probably a dumb question but do you think a ball python in an aquarium will grow slower than a tub or does it matter?

I still have my first snake in an aquarium and was just wondering if I should switch him over to a tub.

2 Likes

I would say it depends on if they are happy and used to the environment you are using. I think tubs are better, more like their rodent holes they live in, but if your snake is used to it and thriving, it should be the same. Others know better than me so don’t take my opinion alone.
My ball pythons are growing really fast in tubs with additional hides.
Edit: Ps there are no dumb questions, only dumb people who think they know everything. I hope to learn from others response to this too.

8 Likes

I have some in tanks and some in tubs and have never noticed a different in growth rate. It really shouldn’t matter

4 Likes

He is happy and eats fine. Another concern is later down the road when I try to breed him and he is used to his aquarium will he lock.

I might just set up his tub and be done.

Personally since its a Ball and they are mostly sedentary I don’t think it will have any growth issues as long as husbandry is correct. Its not like they need alot of space to excercise in.

1 Like

cool thx thats what i wanted to hear

@ag2357 yeah they only poke out the head when hungry

2 Likes

Ball pythons usually do better in tanks. Tubs are only for the keeper to keep many snakes in a small area. As long as your snake is happy and stress-free then it doesn’t matter how you keep him.

5 Likes

Understood but our goal now is to have 12 snakes by the end of this year so I am definitely not going to have 12 tanks.

3 Likes

Try a 5 shelf 30-40qt rack for your males and a 5 shelf V70 for your females. Keep 2 in tanks for a nice display.

On your original question BP growth is 100% based on food and husbandry. If all variables are the same then size should be comparable.

1 Like

I’ve personally seen my bp’s use every inch of their 40 gallons. I’ve also put a PETCUBE in at night and they are extremely active. Also have pretty good growth rates and they never refuse a meal. Just based on what I’ve personally witness, I could never do tubs but also don’t judge

3 Likes

I thought that too until I learned they live in holes.

2 Likes

Yes they live in holes but have space to travel. We can’t give them that. So I try to give them something to move around on and “pretend “ hunt at night.

2 Likes

You have made me rethink a bit. A long time ago I used to build some vivs with a lower floor.
There was a hole in the floor with a bit of tube so the substrate would not block it, leading to a sort of underfloor hide level.

4 Likes

We have our 3 year old ball python in what is approx a 50 gallon tank. And we are considering making something bigger for her with a “shelf” to give her higher and lower points to exist on. She isn’t as active as she used to be (loves an turned over black wicker basket on her cool side) but she uses all her hides at some point or another.

To me if you got the space use tanks. In the same room as her I have my MBK in a 40 gallon, several 10 gallons with sand boas in them, and most of my corns are in large 10 gallon tubs (waiting on the delivery of my actual first rack then they all get upgrades). It just depends on what works for you and what your snake will tolerate and thrive in.

2 Likes

I honestly think ball pythons thrive in tubs. I keep my adult females in 41qt tubs in a rack system. They still have quite a bit of room in them. Enclosure isn’t really going to have an effect on growth rate unless they are being caused stress by poor husbandry and not eating. Food intake is ultimately what’s controls growth rate.

8 Likes

While most of mine are in a rack right now due to space constraints, I honestly prefer vivarium or terrarium type enclosures. I’ve repeatedly seen mine enjoy climbing, basking and exploring in the early mornings/late evenings and would love to provide opportunities for them to be more engaged in their environment. While tubs and racks are obviously the most practical for breeding and large scale reptile keeping, if I were to make a decision on ball python housing based purely on overall animal wellbeing, I’d go for a bioactive terrarium of some sort. But neither should contribute to growth rate.

8 Likes

And I agree but I also think that they can thrive in a minimalist setup. But with that being said I think they should be frequently given time out of the tubs. This is why I have a set number of spaces. It’s what I feel comfortable being able to properly care for and also provide enrichment to.

2 Likes

@saleengrinch

That’s a novel idea for tub snakes in general that I can get behind. Some kind of one large setup where every snake goes into for a set amount of time with height and length so a snake can get some “exercise” in… Especially active colubrids. I’m gonna definitely have to look into this when we redo the snake room and get our first true rack system in place.

Edited: Not every snake at once though! Lol I reread what I typed and it sorta sounded like I was saying to put your entire collection in at the same time… Good grief!

3 Likes

I do all the time just one big snake party. Gets pretty crazy lol

1 Like

@saleengrinch

Please say you’re joking! I couldn’t imagine 14 corns in a tank or large space even remotely getting along… Of course I dunno what you keep but wow! To much chaos for me!