Tell me this isn’t what I think it is……

SOS

What is this and what do I do if it’s what I think it is? The scorpion is in a critter keeper right now. Will the babies crawl out of the vents in the top?

12 Likes

Last year it was live boa babies and now it’s baby scorpions? Maybe? This has gotta stop! :frowning:

7 Likes

Welp, that definitely looks like babies. Idk a darn thing about these, so hopefully someone else can help you out.

5 Likes

Lol! Thank you @noodlehaus Jess. I looks like there are hundreds of them…… @spottedbull can you shed some light on this?

5 Likes

What I do know is that they should stay on mom’s back for a bit and that it’s only after they leave her that you separate them, but anyone who actually knows for sure please do correct me if I’m wrong!

5 Likes

Ok well I noticed what I thought was maybe a few of something a couple of days ago and today after I realized what was going on I put her in a deli tall container so maybe I should put her back in her regular home for now. I just don’t want them crawling out…… lol!

5 Likes

Could you tape some paper towel or gauze over the critter keeper vents?

5 Likes

That’s a good idea. I will try that and let you know…… Maybe I should google to see how long the babies stay with her……

5 Likes

@pcexotics might have some insight I know he produces scorpions.

6 Likes

Yep @ballornothing these are babies! Loads of babies in fact! Lol! Evidently they were just born and have now climbed on momma to stay there a couple of weeks until they molt. Apparently some female scorpions have the ability to produce on their own……

Now what to do with the babies…… :tired_face:

5 Likes

Covered with paper towels but I have about 2 weeks before they molt and leave momma. She can carry up to 100……. according to the net……. :tired_face:.

7 Likes

My goodness :confused:. That is a lot of babies.

6 Likes

Yes. Every time she has a baby it crawls up on her back for survival and somehow she feeds them all until their first molt and then they crawl off…… :joy:

6 Likes

Hotglueing some organza fabric or bits of a nylon stocking over the vents will prevent escapees while allowing airflow, I can confirm that oughta work.

6 Likes

Congratulations on your 100 new pets! :laughing:

So I knew scorpions carry their babies on their back, but I did not know they feed them! How do they do that? That’s really neat! What species is she? Any serious danger to you if a baby gets out? When I’ve kept baby mantises before, I’ve had success putting a piece of nylon stocking over the top of their container. Allows air flow, but is a very, very fine mesh. Maybe you could just hot glue a piece to the inside of the lid of the critter keeper?

9 Likes

Well scorpions can’t climb smooth surfaces like spiders. So I don’t think that they can climb out of a critter keeper top vents. As for what to do with them…

Maybe buy a bunch of small deli cups and keep them until they molt a few timesand then offer them up. Is there a local reptile show that could rent you a table space?

7 Likes

Yep I am going to buy some cheap pantyhose. That’s what @athleticshoelace suggested too.

I think I was mistaken about her feeding them so I suppose she just carries them until they shed. But I’m not sure how they grow? All I know is my house seems to be conducive to animals reproducing……. Lol! :joy:

7 Likes

lol! I just bought this one this past Sunday at the Midwest Reptile Expo in Indy! :joy:. I noticed some little white things on her last night when I fed her but tonight there were a ton on her and I realized what they were.

I will take them to the pet store that I sold my baby boas to last year as soon as they leave her which should be a couple of weeks……

6 Likes

Also I would have to have a hundred deli cups! 11 baby boas are one thing but tons of scorpling babies are something else! :joy:lol!

5 Likes

Oops I forgot to say thank you for the congratulations @solarserpents Olivia! And I think she is a Sand Scorpion? I just picked her up at the expo last Sunday! Lol!

7 Likes