That was unexpected

As I was checking my tubs I noticed Frosty had condensation on her tub and I figured she made a mess. She decided to redecorate and scattered her humid hide moss around the tank. And while I was starting to clean it up she just stood there smiling at me. Once I set her in a temporary holding container I noticed a surprise in the food dish. AN EGG :grinning: I candled it and I saw the little cheerio. I had paired her with my SHTCT male, Geeko but I didnā€™t see a lock. Since sheā€™s a proven breeder Iā€™m going to see if I can get the previous pairing info to see if she had retained sperm. I set it up in the incubator incubating it at 81-82* and it should hatch around September 10th.

9 Likes

Omg sheā€™s adorable!
ā€œIā€™ve done nothing wrongā€ face :joy:
Oh canā€™t wait to see the little one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

At least the incubator has a window on top because otherwise Iā€™d be opening it a few times a day to see how itā€™s doing. I guess I should start working on a hatchling rack. :grin: I only found one egg and then I left it how it was (moss everywhere) to see if she was going to lay another. I couldnā€™t see another in her belly but this one was large so Iā€™m not worried that there isnā€™t a second.

3 Likes

OMG how awesome! Iā€™m crossing my fingers for you- you deserve to hear the pitter-pat of little gecko feet!

skipping t-rex GIF

4 Likes

@mblaney :joy: love the dinosaur skipping

@erie-herps so exciting, fingers crossed for you :crossed_fingers:
We made our snake incubator and I knew Iā€™d need a window for the same reason :blush:

3 Likes

@mblaney
Thank you! Itā€™s so exciting egg-citing. Now the hard part, waiting 2 months for it to hatch. I canā€™t wait to hear the pitter-pat but I hope itā€™s not as large as the dinosaursā€™. :rofl:

@foxreptile
Thank you! I think Iā€™m going to end up adding windows to all my future incubators.

3 Likes

My other female laid 2 eggs a couple days ago. The eggs are very soft and are starting to dimple (I didnā€™t bother candling, I wouldā€™ve incubated no matter what) but still look white in color so Iā€™m hopeful.:crossed_fingers: This female just laid 2 eggs and they are very dry. They were also laid in the food dish but the first one (from the first post) is a little dry too (egg container is plenty humid). Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m not feeding enough calcium (thereā€™s a dish in there and I dust about every 3 feedings) or if itā€™s from the lay spot not being humid enough or from the female.

3 Likes

I wonder why your ladies arenā€™t using their egg laying box? Iā€™ve heard that females are more likely to lay infertile eggs outside their lay box, and Iā€™ve noticed that as well.

In the past I did have a couple instances of females laying fertile eggs in totally random spots (including a water dish :woman_facepalming:), and I assumed it had to be because they didnā€™t like something about the lay box I provided. Maybe try modifying your lay box and see if they like it more? Last time I bred my girls, I ended up settling on using peat moss, and that went pretty well.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll try changing the medium and see if anything works. If they arenā€™t fertile that would explain why theyā€™re not being laid in the box. She is consistent where she lays her eggs, she scatters the moss around and then lays them in the dish.

3 Likes

The two eggs from Twinkie deflated. She was the female that had egg problems before, since they were soft to begin with I didnā€™t have huge hopes for them.

3 Likes

Aw, darn- Iā€™m sorry dude! Is Frostyā€™s surprise egg still doing ok? :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

So far theyā€™re doing good, theyā€™re so dry that they feel powder-coated (the humidity in the incubation container is high enough). Theyā€™ve done good so far and havenā€™t developed mold or fungus so Iā€™m hopeful that they will survive.

3 Likes

Last season I lost an egg to dehydration, and it was the worst egg possible to lose. It was both the first and last time I was breeding a certain female. It sounds so simple (collect egg, put in box, come back later for baby lizard), but it still requires both skill & luck.

2 Likes

Hopefully with more experience Iā€™ll be able to determine what the problem was but Iā€™m guessing they werenā€™t properly fertilized. The male could be sterile since Frosty was a proven breeder and couldā€™ve retained sperm. Comparing them to the crested gecko egg that hatched (since thatā€™s the only one that I know is good, I canā€™t compare to any leo eggs) Twinkieā€™s eggs were way to soft, they didnā€™t hold their shape (I used a spoon to get one and I took the paper towel out on the other) and Frostyā€™s eggs were dry and brittle (but candled fertile).

1 Like

@mblaney @ghoulishcresties
The baby pipped and I see small movement every once in a while. Do I help it out or will it come out on its own? If I need to help what do I do?

1 Like

When did it pip?

1 Like

If not come out right away you need to help out. As otherwise they can suffocate.

Itā€™s nose is out, I just noticed it. How should I help it?

I would. Iā€™ve learnt not to leave and wait.
They usually pip and come out very quick.

1 Like

Iā€™m rubbing the egg trying to open the pip cut. What is the best way to open the egg?