The ‘Blue Ghost’ Project

Sorry I don’t buy it as blue. although you can call it blue, thats ok.

Grey is cool, but I don’t see blue. in the first picture the shelves appear bluish/grey and so is the snake.
To me thats just a normal photography weakness,
but then in others the snake and shelves are just plain grey.

There are blue snakes, these are a just a few examples of blue snakes ----

But this is not blue, its grey—

My post may seem like a troll post, but I am just posting my honest and genuine opinion. I have never seen a blue ball python. I wish there was one. Its an interesting variation, but its not any shade of blue.

I guess I am in trouble again for having a strong controversial opinion and stating it :frowning:, but I think the name is misleading.
When ‘The empara has no cloths’ I have to say so.
I think the ‘blue ghost’ name is misleading.

2 Likes

Im confused why youd think you were in trouble haha (unless theres something i dont know.)

I believe it was largely just a name the breeder thought was cool and went with it. Ive seen a few names for it, blue steel, blue ghost, and what it seems to be more commonly refered to now “slate”.

Honestly with your opinion i feel you could appreciate the “slate” name for the morph, as it is a grey rock that looks blue when near blue objects :slight_smile:
images (17)
download (7)

6 Likes

There are a lot of animals that are called “blue” but are really closer to grey. Blue Russians for cats, blue merles for dogs, blue roans for horses…just to name a few (by no means an exhaustive list). Given that established tradition, I don’t really see anything intentionally misleading about the name “blue ghost” for a snake morph that is blueish grey. Not to mention, it would hardly be the first morph name to include a colour (or other adjective) that is somewhat vague and suggestive rather than 100% literally accurate.

But you are, of course, entitled to your opinion. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Not sure if this dude is even still around. This post is 3 years old. :woman_shrugging: It went by slate by the way in the end I think. Can’t find him on IG anymore

2 Likes

Last post is jan 6th, snake got a bit chewed by a rat but is healing. IG name in pic for those that want to keep an eye on the project

3 Likes

Oh poor baby, glad its healing nicely though :grinning: .

Theres already is a gray ghost line. Looks nothing like that. Not all orange ghosts have orange, green ghosts aren’t green. There’s no denying that pinstripe is something different than the other colored named lines.

3 Likes

Just didnt want to start an argument or insult the OP JUst being jentile :slight_smile: But yes I gert slate blue.
@jawramik yes I have had blue berman cats and dont know the horse thing but have ridden and love them. point taken.
@akmorphs OP around or not, I dont want to be mean, but I agree, it should be slate blue.
@verinium 2nd post, thanks for the update. thats much better than a anatharistic of that age.
@owalreptiles Interesting, I need to study all that more

4 Likes

All good :slight_smile: im sure as long as you are respectful, most here can understand you are just stating an opinion :slight_smile: owl brought up a good point. Discussion doesnt have to be drama, and i think most of us here are good with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you are right, it’s not a blue coloration for most reptiles. But, this is the closest coloration to blue I’ve seen in ball pythons so I don’t think it’s misleading.

5 Likes

I really dig the coloration on this snake. It reminds me of a slate gray, but I do see where the “blue” comes into play. Hypo is probably one of the better morphs to have in combos in my opinion. Curious if he ends up proving this out

2 Likes

As an artist I can see the difference in the first picture with no grey shelf for for comparison making it LOOK blue (illusion), compared to the second picture with a grey shelf for contrast is in the view making the snake look grey.
Colour perception to the human eye is not real, its is just a comparison to other contrast and colors.
No contrast

/
with other shades/contrast like the grey shef, to see true colour. like the grey shelf

Can you see how the colour changes with some other color/contrast compare it to in the second picture?
With the non blue but grey shelf in the picture for contrast in the second picture we can see the true colour without optical illusion and see and preserve its not actually blue.
/
Not a believer? look up colour perception in humans eyes on youtube/google.
I use this trick/human perception of colour as an artist in my oil painting art, as do many artists.
/
Conclusion- as an artist who understands colour perception in the human eye, , without changing colours but only changing the the background, I could make it look even more blue but in reality its realy grey.
Same goes for any colour and also brightness, Without dark there is no light.
/
Not saying is deliberate, but just because a picture looks a certain colour, doesn’t mean it is that colour. Ask for for multiple pictures outside in natural daylight on natural backgrounds to be sure of colour…

EG, One of mine oil paintings using the contrast technique to make an optical illusion of more colours but actually Just brown, black and white paint, but you will see other colours—

3 Likes

Orange is a shade of brown, so yes, I completely can see this as a black, white, and brown painting.

1 Like

I don’t agree with the assessment of the images posted of the snake. I understand you can make things look a different color, just by changing tbe background. But that shelf/rack is the exact same shelf in each picture. You can see the locking tab hanging down that holds the tubs in place. It looks like a stainless steel rack. Lighting also plays a roll, as well as that could potentially be the color of the snake during ovulation. As we all know snakes tend to get a certain glow to them during this time. Just my two cents.

2 Likes

I see where they are coming from, it is indeed the same shelf, but you can very clearly see the shelf on the top pic is “colder” than the one on the bottom pic. The hues of the pictures themselves are way different. Let me see if i can show an example.

Edit: here is an example of how the same picture with only the temperature changed looks. Original first, edited second. Same snake, same shelf, different look.

Now compare the edited pic to the “blue” pic

Then if i warm up the blue pic:

And lastly the warmed up "blue pic compared to the original gray pic:

I hope this helps show what a little photo magic can do when you play with temperature :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@verinium Well put…
I am not saying its a deliberate change though.
In addition. if a ball python was truly blue it would be worth a fortune. I wish there will be one some day, or even truly green. I would love one.

1 Like

Absolutely true, i was not stating the intentionally changed these variables, the camera does so automatically all the time. I only did it manually to show the effect it can have, and not to attack the OP

1 Like

I know, Just to inform and you did it well

Again as me too protect the OP,

but its so true, the old saying, ‘the camera never lies’ is a lie :slight_smile:

absolutely stunning

Love that coloration