This could be the end

due to landlord deciding that my animals are too dangerous it looks like I may have to rehome all my animals or face eviction, although I am fighting it I am unsure of how this will end. I don’t know how snakes in racks and lizards in enclosures are dangerous and pose a threat to the community and unit but its not up to me. I just want to say thank you all for being the best reptile community and always there to provide assistance in any way possible. I appreciate the good memories from this form as well as the hobby that was the biggest part of my life. I will keep this thread updated with what happens, currently trying to prove their harmlessness to my landlord and how they are safely contained and are provided proper care as well as proving that i am licensed by the state to own these animals. ill let yall know how it goes. again, thanks for everything.

14 Likes

I would personally start looking for a new place to live instead of rehoming all of my animals. A landlord like that doesn’t deserve the money you give em, and chances are might try and start an eviction over an even stupider reason once your snakes are gone. Maybe you could try to get ahold of USARK to see if they can help with anything, or point you in the right direction with the legality of the situation.

20 Likes

Thank you for your advice, how would I go about doing that if you don’t mind me asking?

2 Likes

I agree with ashleyraeanne, I would find another place to live if that is an option for you.

7 Likes

Here is the link to contact them. They may or may not be able to help, but it is worth a shot. https://usark.org/contact-usark/

5 Likes

What animals do you have exactly?

1 Like

Time to find a new place. I know it’s hard I this economy. One reason we purchased a home, so I can grow and expand without needing permission

12 Likes

I agree, move to an animal friendly place
Don’t let a bully make you give up your animals.

7 Likes

Did you talk with your landlord prior to this incident about owning reptiles and if it was allowed in the lease agreement?
Unfortunately I don’t believe there is much you can do, and even USARK I think wouldn’t be able to lend much help except for advice.
I would start looking for another place to live, and talk with the landlords of any potential new apartments with owning reptiles. Try to get them to sign a document saying you’re allowed to own them and that will give you protection incase something like this happened again.

5 Likes

I saw on your profile that you’re in Texas also. I’d recommend posting in the Ball Pythons of Texas group on Facebook to get some recommendations of reptile friendly apartments/landlords. It’s a pretty big community and someone there might be able to help, even if it’s just boarding your reptiles until you can get settled somewhere new.

10 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

retics, ball pythons, kingsnakes, hognose and a few lizard species ( bearded dragons, frilled lizard) as well as turtles and leopard geckos

they were initially okay with it but where we messed up was not getting it in writing.

2 Likes

hoping to talk to a few new landlords today and hopefully moving the animals to a spare room at my parents house when it warms up some as it its currently in the low 30s here

3 Likes

Hopefully you can keep them with your family. If you do have to rehome put me on the list for a ball.

1 Like

well your first problem was getting licensed by the state. I’m sure someone will ask me to elaborate…so i regretfully will.n STOP TELLING PEOPLE WHAT YOU HAVE! Your ability to safely and responsibly keep your reptiles is not relevant. And when the time comes and The state, The county, The city, your landlord says this is the new rule. They know exactly what doors to knock on. I’m sure there will be a mixed array of Reponses to this post…idc I’m not debating what the TRUTH is. This post will hopefully help some people out there who aren’t facing this situation yet. unfortunately once in this situation there is VERY LITTLE CHANCE TO GET OUT OF IT. and that’s coming from someone who fought his HOA and won. The fight wasn’t worth it though the win… did feel good though. Sorry if I came off to harsh or blunt but this is a sore topic for me as I’ve gone through your issue before.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t matter if you got it in writing. they can change terms at time of renewal.

2 Likes

Agreed if you do give in, It will send a precedent for you to be harassed with no consequence. In these situations You have to win and stay or lose and leave. You cannot lose and stay with the same landlord that will only be the beginning of your nightmare.

3 Likes

You need a license to keep snakes in your state? In AL I need a permit to keep my dwarf retic and tegus, they were made illegal here, but nothing for my other reptiles.

2 Likes

I honestly appreciate your viewpoint as it is a different but very realistic one

1 Like