Decided to put this all together into a nice neat topic of its own, as I’d like to log all of my experiences with my very first breeding season. I feel it would be good learning material for other first-time breeders.
I do not have an ultrasound, so I’ve mainly been tracking things via palpating for follicles weekly and watching behaviors.
I will slowly be adding to this as I go through the season. Excited to share my progress!
Banan x Ava
1.0 banana yellowbelly x 0.1 pastel het VPI axanthic
Confirmed locks: 11
First lock - 09/11/19
Last lock - 02/14/20
I was pairing them approximately every 2 weeks. Note that this is the only pairing that I’ve done this with.
Due 04/17/20, Laid 05/13/20
8 healthy, 0 slugs
Average Egg Weight: ~84 grams
Total Egg Weight: 676 grams
- Ava was being an extremely picky eater at the beginning of the season, and after doing research about it determined that this could be due to her wanting to breed. Sure enough, after one lock she started eating regularly.
- Ava was very much a tail wagger, it was a sight to see.
- Ava did not show any signs of building, as I didn’t really notice her cool-seeking.
- Ava took an exceptionally long time to lay her eggs, though this is not unheard of for females to do. She did not show any signs of distress or lethargy so I waited patiently, and she eventually laid.
- She almost immediately went back on food and has been a voracious eater since. I am confident she will be back up to weight and will possibly breed again next season.
- 2 eggs went bad a few weeks into incubation, were likely infertile or just not strong enough. The remaining 6 look to have strong, healthy veins.
- 1 egg got a small hole in it that started seeping due to me attempting to dab some moisture off, but a bandaid appears to have remedied the problem. Will update on if this egg makes it full term.
Almond x Butters
1.0 super mystic x 0.1 butter
Confirmed locks: 3
Due 05/14/20, Laid 05/28/20
7 healthy, 0 slugs
Average Egg Weight: ~97 grams
Total Egg Weight: 679 grams
- Butters has an abscess in her lower jaw. Because of this, I originally did not plan to breed her. However, she started showing signs of wanting to breed so I put Almond in with her and they locked up. It didn’t take too long before she ovulated.
- Butters also locked up with Peanut (butter spinner) a few times about a year ago, so there’s a chance for retained sperm. I’m hoping Almond sires the clutch as they would produce more BELs.
Peanut x Charlie
1.0 butter spinner x 0.1 pewter
Confirmed locks: 5
I determined that this must have been her ovulation as she is no longer as swollen nor can I feel the follicles in her anymore.
- Charlie has shown more signs of building by spending most of her time on the cool side of her tub, sometimes loosely wrapped around her water bowl.
- Since she only had 4 follicles that I could feel, she didn’t get as “hard” as the other females have during ovulation.
Banan x Gwen
1.0 banana yellowbelly x 0.1 spider
Confirmed locks: 2
As of 06/05/20:
Currently feel approximately 8 penny-sized follicles in her.
- Gwen showed signs of wanting to breed by going off of food suddenly when she was a voracious feeder previously. Once paired she immediately resumed feeding like usual.