Trying to locate tubs

I’ve been all over the internet looking for tubs for the ve-6 racks. I’ve found some in stock but only for local pickup/no shipping, states away from me.
Does anyone know of tubs from any manufacturer that would be compatible? The VE tubs are 4.25” tall. I can’t find anything else like that.

1 Like

Hmm, maybe the 6qt bins from Smith’s Marketplace? If you have that in your area that could be worth a try.

Never heard of them. The only 6qt I could find on their website was too tall but I appreciate the suggestion!

1 Like

You can sign up to be notified when they’re back in stock on reptile basics. Ive had to do that for some of their tubs.

2 Likes

Freedom Breeder is SUPPOSED to have crossover sizes for Vision tubs, but I’m not sure exactly the model number, that’s actually a rack I’ve been interested in myself, and haven’t been able to find much out about it. I’m pretty sure @saleengrinch uses this rack, don’t you, Shaun? I believe we talked about this in a previous thread before, I recall you using the Vision tubs.

The Ve-6 is Vivarium Electronics. I bought the rack thinking I could wait for them to be back in stock. It’s been a few weeks now. They did get back to me saying they would be in stock soon but that was a week ago. I’m contemplating making pvc spacers to raise up ARS or FB tubs and then setting the thermostat higher to compensate for the gap underneath but if that doesn’t work it would be a chunk of money wasted

Did you order the rack directly from them? If so I’d try to get the discounted price of the tubs since they failed to have them when you wanted them. If you do order them imo it’s a good idea to get a full rack worth of each size you plan to use plus an extra of the largest size for easy cleaning routine. I have enough to fill the ve6 plus the 2 ve2 and then spares.

1 Like

Yes I ordered directly from them. That’s a good idea. I’ll see what they say but I’m not holding my breath! I searched everywhere locally too but the sterilite-type offerings all had the rigidity built solely into the lip of the tub so if I cut them down they would flex too much and be easily escapable

I do! I use vision and ve racks. I preferred the ve I ordered all the tubs I needed when purchasing each rack. I have ordered additional tubs since the ve racks accept different sizes. I purchase them directly from the website. Always get the tubs when you order the rack!

1 Like

They were sold out when I ordered the rack! :sob:

I bet if you told them you wasn’t buying it without tubs they would of drummed some up!

2 Likes

Same exact problem here. I’ve been on the notification list since November and emailed them about a week ago. Their response was that shipping has been delayed and that they should be back in stock any day… but I’m not holding my breath. I have 2 snakes in 11 quart tubs that really need to be upgraded to 23 quarts. Any longer and I’m going to have to set up temporary enclosures without the rack which will cost me even more money :confused: I searched everywhere for 4.25 inch tubs that could be used temporarily with no luck. Please update if you do find something.

1 Like

How big are they? I don’t move them to 23 qt tubs until they are like bigger than 500 grams which with my feeding schedule happens around the 18 month mark. They are probably honestly fine in the smaller tubs until you get the tubs.

2 Likes

Yeah I actually ordered the ve rack as a back up to the “quicker ship” rack I ordered from ap. I couldn’t get them to respond with a lead time estimate. now my back up needs a back up :sweat_smile:
If you need something yesterday, recoil reptiles has a couple “ready to ship” racks that come assembled with tubs. When I ordered from them it took 3 days to ship and it showed up ready to go. They use steralite tubs. While not my favorite, you can buy them anywhere

1 Like

They’re around the 300g mark. These tubs easily let light penetrate (plus their rack is a VE-6E which has open panels) and so I keep hide boxes in their enclosures so they feel more secure. The problem is that they’ve now outgrown the hides and my only other solution is to use long cardboard boxes as temporary substitutes which is not ideal. Otherwise, you’re right, they could probably stay in there a bit longer.

My favorite rack! Lol Honestly with them that size in that tub probably be ok without a hide for a minute. The heat source is at the back of the tub which is were they will spend most of there time which isn’t visible.They should be big enough that there body will touch all three sides so they will have a sense of security. I would personally wait rather than have to pay for a temporary solution.

1 Like

Yep, for now they are fine and I’m going to wait for the tubs to come back in stock. It’s just a pain in the behind finding replacement hides when they poop or urinate on them. I went with the economy rack (VE-6E Economy Rack: Reptile Basics) which was a mistake. I can see how they do with no hides. The regular VE-6 holds heat better and keeps them in the dark.

1 Like

I see! That does changes things a bit. But I still think they will be ok.

Absolutely! This is why I prefer my ve racks to my vision racks!

1 Like

Ok so I took a tape measure with me to the store and compared label dimensions to true dimensions. I found, for smaller snakes at least, the sterilite 6qt tubs actually measure 4.3” tall, not 4.8 (probably dimensions with lid). There is a protruding section on the center bottom that adds a little height but compresses easily when slid into the rack. It is a really tight fit but they work. There’s zero gap to speak of so you definitely need to add ventilation. Full dimensions, if I remember correctly, are about 14.5”x8”x4.3. So they aren’t as long as I’d like but for most of my collection they’re suitable until the VE tubs restock. And a 10 pack is $10.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks so much for sharing this! It seems they include the lid in the height measurement if I’m looking at the right one. Glad you found something for the time-being.