Tub or Viv opinions?

What rack did you get crawd?

I got the 5 stack subadult rack from CSerp.

This just my opinion, I liked it slightly better than a couple of the other ā€œlower costā€ rack options out thereā€¦I like that it comes with recessed belly heat instead of back heat although I know that can work tooā€¦just a preference. I like that with the easy purchase of 5 dividers it basically becomes a ā€œcombo rackā€ if need be. Iā€™ll have more of an opinion a couple months down the road when I see how much better it works than my used one I started with from someone.

1 Like

I love seeing people like you progress in the hobby and i remember when you first joined and were showing off your first few snakes and look at where you are at now! i get so excited when i see people entering the hobby and it reminds me so much of when i first started out. probably one of the tightest knit communities i have seen by far and i might be getting a little off topic but oh well. In other news, racks will always be my go to for sure

3 Likes

I mainly use Ikea Samla tubs with lids on top( next to terrariums in the living room) For adults the 55 liter. For the young ones I use the smaller sizes. They are a little lesser in length than official snake tubs but are wider and a little higher so they can also crawl on top of their hides and decoration. They are commonly used here in the Netherlands for keeping snakes, also in self made racks. You only have to put the heatmat about 2 degrees celcius higher than the temp you want because of the ridges on the downside.

As racks I use Avasco strong racks. They have 5 shelves but I have put a shelve extra per rack. In future I one day hope to make my own racks so I dont have to use lids anymore. My desired tub size would be the AR100 so even the adult females can stretch if they want

Itā€™s exciting but a bit unnerving as Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m looking for if there is something wrong, I learnt it donā€™t matter how much you read or watch online it does prepare you for getting your first bp, I felt choked up when I saw him I couldnā€™t stop smiling for hours lol!

Yeah I understand how you feel more than you could know. When I started out as a kid I had to go through the whole trial and error phase in order to learn the best way to keep my animals. I am in no way a expert and donā€™t try to pretend to be one but once youā€™ve been at it for awhile it kinda just becomes smooth sailing for the most part so once you get well acquainted with your animal after a few months you will know what I mean.

1 Like

Is love to see your rack systems!

1 Like

I hear you! They are highly addictive!

1 Like

Here ya go! Came out really well and holds up great and its strong enough to support one more cage on top for my crested gecko.

5 Likes

You should make a a post about how you made it!

1 Like

I agree with Sam you should make a guide how you made the rack itā€™s something Iā€™m thinking about doing later

Morph Mixology (among many others Iā€™m sure) has a step by step guide for several different sized racks on their YouTube channel. And if you go to their actual website you can download blueprints on PDF.
When I make one Iā€™ll probably follow one of those, hope it turns out as well as @nathan_e

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure yours will turn out great! Im not a pro in wood working or anything or when it comes to installing heat tape and I still managed to put it together decently well.

nathan_e, These look great! What did you use to make them? Do you have the plans?

My buddy helped me figure out the configurations since he is more knowledgeable than I but I can definitely get them if you are interested! I used melamine sheets for this build and to save a decent chunk of change I actually bought used tubs that were still in extremely good condition. Rather than paying 25 bucks for each tub I paid 10 so thatā€™s a decent savings right there.

1 Like

I have a woodworking shop so that part wont be too hard! Iā€™m guessing you build the whole thing around the dimensions of the tub? And how hard was the heat tape? Is it do able for someone whoā€™s never messed with it before?

Yep, the entire build is structured around the size of the tubs and how many levels you want. I also have a homemade hatchling rack that was made from the leftover material and it can hold 16 babies. Heat tape is also extremely easy to rig and set up and for each peice you can probably wire it is less than five minutes. I can link you some very helpful videos on how to set it up. The hardest part of the build was probably just snaking the wires throughout the tub but you could probably save some time and rig it before the build instead of after like I did but either way works.

1 Like

that would be great. I love the idea of being able to just pull a tub out without wires being attached.

The wire are not attached to any part of the tub. The way mine are wired is so that everything is in the back so it looks clean and organized and the heat tape is taped to the wood underneath the tub so when the tub is closed it makes contact.

Mine too. Iā€™d rather it be slightly recessed but I dont have a router. When I do a full build Iā€™m going to make sure I have access to one.