Ugly ball python combos?

Quality line selection and breeding…not luck :wink:

1 Like

I have only seen a couple adults of that combo, and both are just as faded as most other clown adults. Clowns are too expensive for what they turn into later on in most cases imo. Firefly axanthics on the other hand, have amazing contrast and generally keep it. My end goal combo will eventually be a firefly axanthic pied, though my favorite combo is still just firefly axanthic. So simple but a clean monochrome snake that stays bright colored is just. :ok_hand::ok_hand::eyes:

2 Likes

More lucky enough to get an expensive and nice line of clown. Only clowns with blade and leopard combined hold their contrast from what I have seen though. If there is even more than one line, as I am not sure more than one person has the credit for discovering clown.

1 Like

So is the fact that you don’t like them because of their overall pattern/look or because you think they fade too much? Its one thing to dislike the look and another to not like how it ages over time.

Sometimes the pattern is nice, though some have weird spots all over their face and it just triggers the heck out of my trypophobia. The main reason I don’t like them is because they look like faded dish rags left in the sun once they are older. The main reason to like clowns is because of their cool pattern and contrast, but if they loose that once they are adults then there isn’t much to like. Same reason I don’t generally like just plain albinos, and prefer dark morphs with albino as well as lav albinos. The adults don’t always keep their nice contrast.

1 Like

You can’t not fall in love with this beauty though :wink:

4 Likes

For me Banana will almost always be ugly. They fade considerably compared to their bright colors as hatchlings, and the spots some develop as adults are just ugly.
Clown is another one I would call lower quality. But to its defense, I haven’t seen some of the new combos age as adults, so if they hold their color and contrast into adulthood maybe I would reconsider.
Champagne is sometimes ugly, but if mixed well can be mind blowing.
Overall I think those are my top 3 ugly genes, I love clowns as hatchlings but once they hit 4-5 yrs old most look dull and boring to me.

2 Likes

Agree…I like these better because of the smooth transitions between colors

PS here is light yellow :wink: But I feel that pinstripes are ugly

It wouldn’t be my first choice of snakes, but I appreciate the patterning! There’s just something about yellow I don’t like. The facial markings are really awesome, leopard is next on my list to add to the collection

It’s really nice actually to see others hating on clown while I love it, this hobby would be so boring and entirely too competitive if everyone liked the same morphs.

3 Likes

I agree completely with the second half of that sentence.
But off all the morphs, especially recessives, clown is in the most collections and breeding projects with people I know and talk to. There are almost more people working with that gene than pied nowadays, which I can’t really understand.
I love clown don’t get me wrong, but I can still love something that I find ugly.

2 Likes

I used to hate the spots on Bananas until they “grew on me” Now I enjoy them. I’m not sure why.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s kind of making me wish I had gone into Tri-stripe or desert ghost instead, because I feel like the market is just going to be absolutely flooded with clowns in a few years

6 Likes

I would agree with that prediction.
Even Genetic Stripe would be a good gamble, I see that making a comeback in a few years.
Definitely can’t go wrong with Desert Ghost tho, killer morph.

2 Likes

Going to be?!?!

7 Likes

Already is haha. I think it is fine though because of all the things being done with them by bigger breeders which opens up projects for those who want to create the same thing.

Ok, so there’s already a ton of them, but they’re being bought up remarkably quickly and at pretty high prices. Last I checked the cheapest spotnose het clown female was $900. That’s absurd for a het. I was referring more to a situation where MM has thousands of clown and clown combo morphs that nobody wants because everybody has tons of clowns already (when supply is well over demand), which we haven’t hit yet because even hets are going for super high prices. I don’t know if that will happen, but seems plausible given that everybody is working with clown now

2 Likes

Yeah I like the nice patterned bp the yellow fades away an gives it a faded yellow look

If I’m being honest, I’m not a huge fan of Banana. I just don’t like the yellow and light violet with freckles. The most absolute gorgeous morph is Fire Enchi Mojave Cypress if I’m being specific, but I also LOVE calicos. The white is so unique and pretty. Albino is cool too. I don’t have like a grudge against yellow on BPs, but yellow and purple don’t compliment each other AT ALL. And Axanthic Calico DRIVES ME INSANE with its awesome colours and patterns.

2 Likes

For me it’s pretty much the same but I’m not a fan of super pastels or a lot the the bananas

I’m not a fan of clowns, if the head had more pattern on it I would like them better. Head is ugly. The colors and pattern on the body looks really good most of the time. Everyone is making clown combo’s.
Not a fan of a striped BP either. Depends on what other morph it is mixed with. I have seen very few I like.

1 Like