Upcoming herping trip

There’s a place nearby that I realized I’d never tried herping at before, but come to think of it, it would be perfect. it has TONS of flat rocks, rock cliffs, a lake, a swampy area and plenty of areas where snakes never have to come in contact with humans, making it an amazing place to search for herps. planning on going monday evening. will update if I find anything.

7 Likes

Thanks for letting us know! Definitely keep us updated on your find in the wild!

2 Likes

I hope I find something! I have really bad luck when it comes to herping. I went herping in new mexico once, and all I found was a five lined skink I couldn’t catch, one lizard I couldn’t identify and a bunch of sagebrush lizards, one of which I caught. not a single snake. never even heard a rattler rattle.

2 Likes

Snakes are really hard to herp in general. I mean I live in south Florida and I have caught 4 black racers, 1 ringneck snake (pretty large one too), a baby garter snake, and 3 corn snakes. I have lived here for 4 almost 5 years.

1 Like

Sounds fun. Please keep us updated. I plan on going tomorrow here in Indiana.

2 Likes

They are easy with good arm strength, i caught so many as a kid haha, know which rocks to flip and what areas to go, and its easy! Heck, im in CT, and i get them every day just hiding in the grass in my “lawn”

Pictured: my “lawn”

2 Likes

If you get any pictures of them, definitely post them here.

1 Like

I grew up in Fairfield CT, right on the Easton border. Lots of water in our neighborhood meant lots of water snakes! Ornery buggers. The clear cut for the power line towers was always a great place to find snakes. Mostly rat snakes, w the occasional racer. Ring-necks, hognose, and milk snakes were the rare bonuses.

1 Like

Took my thirteen year old for a hike yesterday. In plus or minus four miles, she caught 24 toads under 3/4” each and 1 big bufo! We saw a snapping turtle, and I snagged a brown (Dekays) snake as we were finishing up. Love those guys!

1 Like

Went fishing today, and the lake was filled w newts. Bonus!

3 Likes

Had to delay the trip by a bit, but I finally went herping today, didn’t find anything :cry:. the trip was cut short though due to weather.

2 Likes

What a cutie!

1 Like

Ring necks i only find eother under rocks, or during breeding season. When i lived in voluntown, the babies used to invade my house and id have to save them haha

1 Like

I would find ringnecks - about my favorites - under logs when I was looking for salamanders. I guess they were looking for salamanders too!