We Need Your Help!

If you have been on here for more than 5 minutes, then you likely know who @t_h_wyman is and what he brings to every corner of the community.

Now its our time to try and give something back:

Hugely appreciated if you can share this link.

Absolutely wonderful if you would consider getting tested!

Julie Napear (Travis’ Wife):

I NEED A KIDNEY.

It can be hard for me to ask for help sometimes, but my life literally depends on it, so there you are. Why is this happening? Simply put, 25 years of type I Diabetes has ravaged my existing kidneys, despite good blood glucose control (seriously… it’s always been good but with the latest CGM technology, it’s excellent; my a1c is currently 5.1% and I don’t think it’s ever gone over 7%).

Thankfully, we live in an age when kidney transplantation is possible, but transplants can only take place between two people whose blood and tissue types match. None of the members of my family of origin are eligible to donate because of various health issues (you cannot donate if you have high blood pressure, diabetes, history of kidney issues, etc. This is to ensure no one with an elevated chance of needing their own donor kidney gives one away). My amazing husband Travis Wyman has already been evaluated, and though he’s able to donate, we’re only a medium eplet match, which raises the risk of rejection (for more info, see https://www.kidneyforlife.org/for…/about-eplet-matching/). We will explore what’s known as a “paired donor match,” but there can be a wait associated with paired matching. I have a few incredibly generous friends who are also in the process of being tested (I won’t mention any names for privacy), but it’s all a numbers game, so the more people willing to be tested and donate, the better.

It’s not just me who needs help – there are currently over 90,000 on the UNOS list waiting for a kidney. As of last month, I’m now on that list, but I’ve been told I won’t reach the top for another 4-8 years. And that list is for deceased donor kidneys, which are not ideal because living donor kidneys last much longer (an average 20-40 years instead of 10-15). Remember, you only need one kidney even though (almost) everyone was born with two!

Kidney donation is not without risk (no surgery is), but it is extremely low risk for the donor. A few weeks ago, Travis and I spent a day at Georgetown Hospital where we both went through a battery of tests to make sure we’re healthy enough for our respective surgeries… MedStar/Georgetown Univ Hospital is our transplant center of choice, both because of their eplet matching program and because they partner with the National Kidney Registry (https://www.kidneyregistry.org/for-donors/). NKR offers a host of benefits for donors, including lost wage reimbursement (if you have to miss work) and remote donation (your kidney will travel, and you get to stay near home). Most donors are hospitalized for only one or two nights, and some companies will give you up to a month of paid time off if you donate an organ or bone marrow! Also, this probably doesn’t matter to many youngsters who might be reading this, but for us rapidly aging folks, but you do get thousands of dollars worth of free medical testing. Not gonna lie, I’m pretty happy to have confirmation that my 45-year-old husband is at extremely low risk of a heart attack.

If you’re not interested in donating, that’s fine – it’s a huge ask! But please comment and/or share my post. If you are interested, know that you are very literally willing to be a life saver. Feel free to message me, or you can start the process directly at medstargeorgetown.org/liverkidneydonor. Once you submit the form for basic information, they will send you an email, so check your spam folder or contact me if you don’t get anything in a couple of days. If you’d like to try to donate to me, my name is as it’s spelled in my profile, and my birthday is 3/7/83.

For more info on the Georgetown U Hopsital MedStar program, this video covers almost everything:

36 Likes

I can’t donate, but I’ll share. And I’ll pray.

12 Likes

Sharing where I can. I’ve got HBP so I can’t donate. Wish I could though.

9 Likes

Our bodies are not kind to us as we get older. I’m finding that out myself.
Holding you hi to heaven asking God to find a match for you Julie.
Asking all of our community prayer warriors to do the same.

11 Likes

Spreading the word. Sending good juju to your wife Travis :heartpulse:

9 Likes

I’m unfit to donate, but I’ve shared and I hope a kidney is found quickly. :blue_heart:

10 Likes

So many prayers being said you and Travis. My mom has been a type 1 diabetic since she has been 11. After 39 years and raising two kids, I know what type of fight that you guys are fighting. I can’t donate as I have hemophilia but I mean it with all my heart, if I could donate, I would 100%. All of my love and prayers for you. Kidneys are not easy to come by but I am praying that you get one. Don’t give up and don’t lose hope.

12 Likes

Standing with all of you in prayer.

10 Likes

Best wishes, good vibes, blessings and all my prayers for your family. As a severely chronically ill person I know a little of how helpless things can feel sometimes, even if I can’t understand all of what you’re going through.
Unfortunately that prohibits me from donating organs, blood or marrow, since we don’t know enough about my illness and its autoimmune facets. But I’ll share this where I can,

and I encourage anyone healthy enough to please donate blood, and put themselves up for matches in the bone marrow and kidney registries. Consider adding organ donation to your post-life plans. You can’t imagine what a gift you can give.

10 Likes

This hits very close to home for me. Although i was not a diabetic, i was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure at the age of 21 and did dialysis for a total of 4 years before my first kidney transplant and 2 yrs with my second. I know how difficult this journey of finding a donor can be and my thoughts, prayers and positive vibes are with you and travis during this time. If you need anything or have questions please do not hesitate to reach out. Much love to both of you.

*you may also want to add your blood type to your post.

12 Likes

Oh my goodness! My pastor’s wife has had 2 kidney transplants in the past 2 years, which was a total miracle in itself. Our church prayed for the miracle and now she is thriving.

I am almost 67 years old so given my age and current medical condition I would not be a viable candidate. However, prayer can and will move mountains. I will put you on the prayer list at my church and I encourage others to do the same.

And yes, be sure to post your blood type……

God bless you dear one………

Caron🙏

11 Likes

HBP and possible stage 1 CKD starting here, getting old does suck. Will pass along where I can. I always tell people they should never be afraid to ask for help in life (for whatever). While we live in weird and rough times, and get through all the haters, there are still good people out there.

8 Likes

AMEN to that point! Sometimes it takes the bad to see the good…… :pray:

6 Likes

Sharing everywhere possible. Godspeed

7 Likes

Amen my friend

7 Likes

I just applied. I’m not sure if I’m even eligible, but I’m going to try.

15 Likes

I have a long list of health issues so am not a possible donar, but I’ll be sharing and sending good vibes/prayers and all that. I know how stressful health issues can be, let alone scary etc.

7 Likes

I take weekends off from the forum so I am only seeing this now

Everyone… I am so very grateful to you all for the support and to those that have applied/are considering applying. Seriously, I am sitting here at my desk trying to hide from my coworkers the fact that my eyes are tearing up

And Thomas, @eaglereptiles, huge appreciation to you for putting this up. Thank you, brother!
:people_hugging:

I feel so terrible that, after all these years of knowing you, I never knew this. I think right now we are doing okay info-wise, but I will definitely hit you up if we think of anything. And I will pass my wife your info and she may reach out on FB if you would be okay with that?

Her blood-type is A

However, there are still options that work for anyone that is type B or AB and is still interested in being tested. There are Voucher/Paired-exchange programs available where someone interested in donating but not a compatible match can be paired to a different recipient and it would create a chain of exchanges that would either end back with my wife or would result in her getting a “voucher” for the next kidney that does match her

Simplified, it would look like this

Or this

Thank you so much!

If you have questions or anything please let me know.
Also, I want to be very clear that we understand this is a HUGE ask. If anything about it makes you uncomfortable or you change your mind, we fully understand. The transplant team and donor team are basically fire-walled from each other, so once you start the process we will know nothing about your status. And in that same manner of operation, I am not going to follow up with anyone that mentions getting tested other than to express our thanks and promise to be available if there are question. We respect your privacy and your decisions and we do not want anyone to feel any kind of pressure

Again, thank you all so much

17 Likes

No worries Travis, not a lot people know. This is something i have been dealing with for over 20yrs now so it is for me it is just part of my life.

YES 100% absolutley, both of you can at any time.

13 Likes

Type 1 diabetic here. This must be a scary thing to go through. Prayers to you and best of luck finding a donor soon.

6 Likes