We Need Your Help!

Just seen this. I REALLY hope u find someone :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I donā€™t think I could donate a kidney legally (I am a minor) nor would my parents allow it and I donā€™t even know my blood type is, best of luck, I do recommend maybe setting up a go fund me you have a small community behind you and I do know my parents would allow me to donate lol, and it would also allow people that canā€™t donate to still help! best of luck!

7 Likes

sorry what does CKD mean? I am not very smart sorry!

3 Likes

CKD is referring to chronic kidney disease. Basically means the kidneys arenā€™t able to do their job as well anymore.

7 Likes

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok that makes sense ty!

4 Likes

Even if your parents would allow it they are very strict about the 18 year minimum

You are not legally allowed to offer any form of financial compensation to anyone for a body organ

9 Likes

ā€¦I did not expect this, I meant for like treatment to hold it off if it exists.

4 Likes

Oh man. Sending yā€™all love and prayers, Travis and Julie!

My brother is also T1, so this hits soooo close to home. I also cannot donate because of health and a blood disorder, but I can share!! :purple_heart::purple_heart:

6 Likes

Luckily, my job offers excellent benefits, so we are good there :grin:

Very much appreciated!!

7 Likes

Julie will be on our church prayer list next Sunday. I am A positive blood type and almost 67 years old, HBP, on a thyroid medication as well as a statin for moderate blockage in 1 chamber. I am not sure I would be a viable donor candidate. Would I donate if I could? In a New York skinny minute I would!

God bless both of you and remember, nothing touches us that does not pass through Godā€™s Hands first.

Caron :heart:

5 Likes

My mother, grandmother, and i all have kidney problems as well. I know what itā€™s like, how painful it can be, and how hard that road to remission isā€¦ sometimes it feels like it doesnā€™t actually get better and instead the game is more about it not getting worse. I wish you all the best of luck in your search for a donor. CKD is a thief if life, both while living with it, and after itā€™s taken itā€™s course.

6 Likes

I feel awful because im blood type O- so im already halfway there in the matchinf department with no medical issuesā€¦ but my friend has had chronic kidney failure since he was born, and has had 2 transplants already. It has been my intent to save my only spare for the time a donor isnt found when needed and then offer mine.

I feel double bad because i dont know if mine is actually a match for him, and i dont know how to get it tested without it becoming public forum for all who need it because it would break me having to refuse others.

If i knew for a fact i wasnt a match for him, then i would definitely not be opposed to using it to save somebody else, i already donate blood as often as i can to try and help people on that front.

Do you guys have more information about the process? Am i making assumptions? Does getting tested put me on a list? Or can i get tested so i have the opportunity to help people i know match my type?

8 Likes

Oh my, Iā€™m so sorry to hear about this. I will definitely keep you and your wife in my prayers. Hope a match comes soon :pray:
:heart:

6 Likes

As far as I know the whole blood type situation is actually not a huge factor in the donation process. Iā€™m O- as well, and I was told that thereā€™s so many other factors that need to be tested for, that it makes blood type such a small contributing factor.

6 Likes

Its about the antigens, blood type is only one of the antigens that need to match, so i exagerate a bit with blood match being half the battle, but having O- at least has 1 box ticked for anybody you want to help. You are right its certainly not a guarantee

7 Likes

You have NOTHING to feel awful about.

Not everyone wants to donate. Not everyone that wants to donate is able to donate. Not everyone that wants to donate and is able to will test as a match.

Everyone here (and on other venues) have show so much compassion and support, and empathy. Honestly, that has meant so much to us

There is a lot I can cover here and since some of it will be specific to you I am going to message you with a more in depth breakdown :+1:t4:

But, short answer for anyone that may find themselves in a position like yours - Getting tested does put you on a list, but it does not obligate you to donate. You determine the nature of the list you are going on - If that list is only for a specific person, then that one single person is your list and nothing changes that. If that list is an altruistic whoever list, then the list is every person out there that needs one and basically the first random stranger with the best match to you that comes up will get the kidney.

There are a ton of protections in place for potential/actual donors. The donor teams and the recipient teams are basically fire-walled from one another and the only info that is transmitted between them is ā€œWe do/do not have a donorā€, ā€œWe do/do not have a surgery dateā€. Recipients and donors do not even know each otherā€™s names unless both parties agree to speak to each other after signing lots of legal paperwork through the teams (or if they actually happen to know one another).

I have a document that can point to a lot more info than what is in my wifeā€™s post above and I will share that with anyone interested.

10 Likes

Hopefully I didnā€™t come across as acting like a know-it-all, or trying to say you were wrong. I had just woken up and had not had my coffee yet this morning lol.

I only know because Iā€™ve spoke with my wife about it; she works in pharmacy and did some work in a transplant hospital, so weā€™ve had some in depth conversations about all the logistics behind it all

6 Likes

No no, you are fine! Not everyone knows the intricacies of donating organs or what they are looking for, i had exagerated, and you provided a valid clarification :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Appreciated, because if i turn out to be a poor match for my friend, but a good match for your wife, i would regret not at least checking

10 Likes

I lost my kidneys at age 14, and have had two transplants over the years. I am 49 now and have been back on dialysis for 7 years. I canā€™t have a transplant this time because my heart is also bad. The only way to get this third kidney, is if I do a dual heart/kidney.
All of that to say that I feel your pain. And although I am unable to donate, obviously, I will share and keep you in my familyā€™s prayer! :heart:

10 Likes