What does everybody use for record keeping?

I was wondering how everyone preferred to keep their animal records. Do you have a software, use a note book, or some other method?
What type of things do you keep track of beyond feedings, treatments, breeding, weights, etc?

I’ve aways used Kintracks, but was wondering if there was something better and more specific to reptiles?

4 Likes

I’m old school and just keep it in a notebook and I am not a huge reptile keeper where I have hundreds of animals so writing it down hardly takes up any time to do but let’s say I was a a large scale breeder then yeah i would use some sort of software to be more efficient with my record keeping. I wonder what others use since a good amount of users on here are also sellers

4 Likes

I use Reptile Scan I love the QR system, I keep track of food refusals (this way it’s a lot less data to enter when you have large numbers), I keep track of pairings, ovy, pre-lay shed and eggs.

That’s for my permanent collection, animals I do not hold back I simply keep everything on an index card and I keep track of hatch date, first shed, first meal, and than food refusals. (again less entry to enter)

4 Likes

I use a spreadsheet that I have saved on my home screen.

Though I am expecting my collection to triple by this time next year and like Deb, I will be using Reptile Scan when it becomes a pain.

5 Likes

I made my own QR codes that link to my google drive, and then from then they link to a spreadsheet.

4 Likes

Reptile Scan we have over 700 breeders of various species would be a nightmare to try to manage that without some type of program made for the purpose. The QR codes make it super easy just scan select what to add and done. It’s cloud based so we can access the information anywhere if need be.

6 Likes

Notebook for me as well :slight_smile: not too many to keep up with yet

6 Likes

We have used Reptiscan but recently switched to Reptiware. It still has a ways to go but I like the features better than Reptiscan.

4 Likes

Never heard of reptiware I’ll have to check it out.

2 Likes

I use notepads to write everything down, but I also use a few different “days since” apps on my phone just to keep track of how many days its been between feeds/sheds etc

2 Likes

@chesterhf
I would say that this ultimately depends on how many critters you’re trying to keep track of. It would make sense to use a software program like @stewart_reptiles when you have a large amount of tracking to do… I personally have 3 reptiles currently in my house so I keep a basic paper notebook for quick and simple entries :hugs: :smile:

1 Like

What differences made you change?

1 Like

I use a notebook for each snake. I keep track of bowl movement(poop and pee, and which side they go on). Keep track of shed and feeding. When I handle and for how long. If they hiss, strike or bite( never been bitten or taged) so that’s easy to keep track of.
What side as in hot or cold they spend time on each day, and if they are active that day.
I try and keep track of everything for my future book in progress.

4 Likes

I’m breeding just two females this season, so I just keep a word document. i’m really just a hobbyist- I freely admit that I kept all the babies I bred last time (~15 years ago). :slight_smile: I know, it’s silly. But the little guys bring me a lot of happiness.

4 Likes

That’s not silly at all, that’s actually pretty darn awesome! Be so much fun to keep an entire clutch you produced and raise them all up. Very cool :+1:

4 Likes

Reptiscan is half the price of reptiware. Is reptiscan desktop compatible?

1 Like

Reptiscan is web-based and doesnt have all thw features of Reptiware. Having said that, Reptiscan was pretty solid for what it is. I changed because I didn’t see any updates to the software and it seemed like Reptiware was actively updating the software.

2 Likes

Thank you. Good to know

Sorry for the typo’s… I was typing without my glasses on my phone…LOL. PM me if you want some screenshots from either system.

1 Like

Have you heard of iherp? It’s free but I heard everything is web based instead of a solid database. Meaning I think that they don’t trust that system.