What hobbies do you guys have other than the reptile hobby

Thats amazing work!

3 Likes

I love most things that get me out in nature. Hiking, camping, horseback riding, snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, etc. I love the ocean and have been fortunate to spend most of my life on the California coast, as well as having been snorkeling and/or diving in Australia and the Caribbean. I love tidepooling too.

I also love music. My mom is a professional cellist and I grew up playing violin and piano. Part of my job involves teaching music to adults with developmental disabilities.

3 Likes

Besides reptiles, I love gaming, hiking, gardening, cross stitch, reading, and music - I’m a piano teacher and it’s so fulfilling being able to love what I do!
I also dabble in tai chi.
Not sure if tea counts as a hobby but I’m super into gongfu style tea.

2 Likes

I love aquariums and breeding fish lol. I have several bettas that I’m planning on breeding over the course of the winter.
I also love Pokemon:)

1 Like

What games do you play, and what device?

1 Like

Right now I’m really into Destiny 2 on Steam. Also Pokemon Violet on Switch haha

2 Likes

I have Pokemon Scarlet, and I am LOVING it!

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What are your other hobbies herptile fans? Lets get to know each other a bit better

I’m big into music. I love listening to artists sing and analyzing the techniques they use. Especially older music. Gives me the chills!

1 Like

I’m curious. When you say “older music”, what might you be talking about?

2 Likes

I’m referring to rock n’ roll, psychedelic rock, and blues of the 60’s to 90’s. Though 90’s isn’t exactly what I would call ‘older’ just yet, i think it is hard to deny that some of the greatest works of music came out of those decades. I do tend have a focus on the later 60’s to mid 70’s though. Artists i listen to include Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult, Boston, Kansas, The Doors, The Steve Miller Band, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, i loove Heart, I just got to see Ann Wilson performing north of Seattle. Although i find that i strongly prefer Hearts more bluesy music to the more mainstream 80’s sounding stuff they did alongside it.

Examples being comparing the song ‘Little Queen’ from their 1977 album by the same name to the second track ‘Alone’ in their 1987 album ‘Bad Animals.’ while no one can deny that Alone was a hit at the time and majorly helped the band continue on in relevance a decade after what i consider their prime, it’s painfully obvious that the band changed sounds to appeal mainstream media in the later 80’s instead of continuing on with their ‘to me at least’ iconic bluesy, psychedelic, sorta homey folk vibe and femme take on rock n’ roll, for the sake of preserving the creative individuality of the music itself. Especially considering that defying cultural norms in favor of creating space for uninhibited musical expression is what good rock n’ roll is all about.
Although with that being said, the natural progression of a band and the fight between relevance to survive, and creative freedom to live, is always a struggle no matter who you are. Either way i find i connect more with the material from their earlier days. It sounds great in recording, but i can hear that where it truly shines is in live concert. Which makes me long all the more that i was alive to see them at that time.

Newer artists i enjoy include Audioslave, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Susan Tedeschi, 4 Non Blondes, Pearl Jam, Nirvana ofc, and so many more.

This is all not touching on the metal genre. As while i appreciate the metal legends from that time that dared to create, despite some of the most brutal opposition a musical genre has ever had to face in the name of total musical and emotional liberation from the suffocating grip of denial and relentless blind restraint of the masses, this is already getting long and i could talk your head off for days im sure.

1 Like

I am an audio engineer :wink:. Have been doing for almost 6 years now.

2 Likes

That’s super cool! That industry has changed so much from back then to now. What genres of music do you primarily work with? Do you work with whatever you have the opportunity to do, or do you specialize in different genres like hip hop, indie, or rap, etc?

2 Likes

I’m a huge fan of live music. Over the years that necessarily meant finding new bands, even genres. My first show was the final tour of the Mothers of Invention. 1974, I was 12.

For the next few years, I was a big prog rock fan. Bowie, Tull, Yes, ELP, Floyd, Crimson… Anyone playing at CBGBs followed. Lou Reed, Talking Heads, Television… By the 80s, I became a big fan of punk music. Black Flag, Clash, SLF, Iggy Pop.

Reggae followed that. A little hip hop. Back to Punk 2.0, like the Bosstones, Dropkick Murphies, Archers of Loaf. Now, as I’ve aged and slowed a bit, I listen to a lot of ska - Mustard Plug, Planet Smashers, Big D, Streetlight Manifesto. Somewhere through all of that, I went to something just south of 100 Grateful Dead shows.

I might not be upfront near the mosh pit anymore, but cleverly (and safely) in the back - closer to the bar! Ha, ha!

1 Like

Specifically, I am a live audio engineer. I work with Christian churches. The Christian genre is considered the hardest genre to live mix due to the variability in the genre amongst the styles that are used in it.

1 Like

Have you heard of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard? They are a good listen if not. The video to their song Iron Lung is also amazingly trippy.

3 Likes

Live audio engineer. Between late 80’s and early 2000. Had my own company and did what ever I was hired to do. I didn’t find any harder then another and enjoyed it all. Knowing your equipment is a must, and you can play any venue with and any type. But I personally listen to just about anything from the 50’s to current, except rap. Sorry, but I can’t classify it as music. Not saying there is not talent. But without a band, we’ll it kind of falls into a speaking with background music category. I know, some of you are going to hate me for this.

3 Likes

Love King Gizzard. They are a whirl of genres on their own. A fine live show, too!

2 Likes

I ride horses and I love it. I also collect model horses and paint model horses and make model horse tack(halters, bridles, saddle pads, etc.) Horses were my first love and I hope to own my own horse some day!!

4 Likes

Bird watching/photography i do both daily. Its a true passion. I go all over looking for birds. I chase rare reports. Gas tank is always full. I could end up 6 hours from home later on. I keep a life list ( 352 species so far) i run my flickr account and its updated daily. Snakes are the side hobby, birds and photography is #1

9 Likes