What new reptiles have you bought recently?

Crotalus Atrox - Western Diamondback

Edit - disclaimer -I’m an experienced (safe/equipment) handler and always follow safe handling practices.

18 Likes

I never get tired of seeing them up close. Beautiful animals

3 Likes

Stunning!
I think these are my fav due to the Cow like look :star_struck:

2 Likes

I love him! One day I swear!

4 Likes

Your western diamondback is beautiful. Is it a boy or girl and did you name him/her?

The only way I know how to tell at 1st glance if its an eastern or western diamondback is to look for the black+white bands near the rattle. If there its western if not eastern. I think if memory serves easterns are also a bit more chonky and bigger.

5 Likes

Imported to Canada from Marc at BloodBourn Reptiles. These animals are phenomenal, the T- is already so saturated with colour.

Male 2021 T- Albino

Male 2020 T+ Albino Batrix

Also acquired recently, as in the past few months,

Western Hognose:
1.0 Super Arctic pos. het Albino
1.0 het Axanthic pos. het Albino
0.1 Albino Anaconda
0.1 High Red Albino het Toffee
1.1 Normal

1.1 Alterna Kingsnakes

1.0 Albino Prairie Kingsnake

1.0 Hypermel het Albino Cali King
0.1 Snow Cali King

And a Crested Gecko we’re fostering.

15 Likes

Sweet list! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Eastern’s also have dark/black eye stripes

2 Likes

Yeah, the Hogs are a lot more easy to hoard than the Blood Pythons, but it’s the short-tails I have the most passion for.

3 Likes

Thats amazing! Can we get a picture of your setup for it?

1 Like

Chunky boy

1 Like

Lol so true

1 Like

They’re in snap top quarantine tubs with the edges taped in a coat closet that’s escape proof, for another couple months :joy:

I have one of my carpenters building 2’x4’ slide front boxes with locking glass and I plan to set them up pretty naturalistic so I’ll definitely do a post once they’re built.

I didn’t plan this snake or the one that came with it. They were listed on CL by someone who promotes free handling. I felt responsible for taking them out of circulation since I work with buzzers a lot doing relocations.

4 Likes

You mean someone who supports natural selection. :grimacing:

6 Likes

Exactly. I’ll do a post about them, these two aren’t what I’d call entry level venomous at all. Especially the albino I haven’t posted yet.

5 Likes

What ones do you consider entry level. They all are pretty scary to me, but so beautiful.

7 Likes

Something with manageable size and normal body language. Ordinarily a CBB northern pacific or speckled is a good place to start. Both can have calm demeanors and stay under 3-3.5’.

This WDB thinks it’s a ball python from being free handled and it has a confidence level similar to a BCI. Pushes stuff with it’s head and all. It seeks you out incessantly so it’s constantly trying to climb the hook to get on your arm. Which isn’t allowed so it’s more double hook juggling working with him. Westerns also get bigger than most people are going to be confident working with at 5-6’. At that size the venom load if you take a wet bite is a real concern.

The Northern Pacific has a couple of spinal kinks that make it’s body language completely unreadable. If it gets jumpy the kinks seem to bother it and it becomes a real wild card and starts pin-balling around. I often crawl under trailer houses and drag terrified Northern Pacific’s out after they’ve harassed by cats, dogs, or garden hoses and they’re still 100% more predictable than this one is.

Edit to add: First thing this snake is doing around here is going on a diet. This what an obese rattlesnake looks like.

18 Likes

This made me shiver when I read it.

2 Likes

So it’s been a hot minute since I posted here, but I did add a few more hoggies off MorphMarket as well as a bloodred piedsided corn snake from the Super Reptile Show in Anahiem. Hard to find a nice one these days, but I got lucky!

14 Likes

Is there an arctic or an Anery? All three of them are beautiful.

2 Likes