What new reptiles have you bought recently?

Thanks Nathan! I love this pair, both are my 2 favorite morphs for a retic and I’ve never had either morph before so I’m really excited.
I know you’re considering a boa, but look into SD/D retics. They truly are stunning.

2 Likes

Just make sure the mama is small and not just the dad if you do get one. If you have big babies chances are they will also be big as adults. I see a lot of people selling 50% SD retics but only the dad was like 9 feet, and the mama is always 16+ feet. The size of the mom is what will mainly determine the adult size of a baby. The babies that are small compared to a dollar is what you want if you want a better chance for a small adult. And of course never overfeed, no matter if they always seem hungry.

3 Likes

Huh I never would have known that. Thank you for the tip!

1 Like

@ashleyraeanne is 100% correct. There is some good topic discussion on Super Dwarf size and how it’s connected to the mom in the Giant Snakes category.
Also Reach Out Reptiles has many good videos on the subject.

2 Likes

But I’d also say from experience, Super Dwarf size is also determined on feed schedule and prey size. It’s not all genetics tho they play a big part in keeping a snake small.
I’ve have a friend who bought a Super Dwarf from a small mother, and they fed him like a mainland.
That male ended up being 14ft long and 43 pounds. He came from a 8ft mom who laid 11 eggs.

2 Likes

Good info I’m shopping for a girl.

1 Like

Do you have any other retics in your collection?
If not I would strongly suggest a female. They seem to be a little more laid back, and seen to explore their enclosure more, which is always fun to watch.

1 Like

Only problem is that females will usually get bigger. So if you want to avoid a huge retic males are better, and of course they are also “cheaper” (still like 800 or more for a good SD).

1 Like

That is true. Females will always be larger than males pertaining to retics.
You wouldn’t even need to get a super dwarf to keep a mainland male at a reasonable size. Most I’ve seen and owned that were fed properly stay around 8-9ft.

1 Like

Yeah… The thing there is, it is kind of unclear. According to the literature, rufoxin is a fairly potent neurotoxin. Caveat there is that it was tested against cultured chicken cells which do not necessarily behave like an adult human would. When I first got them and had to feed them live to get them established I can say that mice hoppers dropped FAST after being bitten without them being constricted (the snakes would bite and release and then wait for the mouse to drop before tracking them down and constricting them to finish the job.) But again, mice and humans are different and are not exact mirrors of toxicity.

I know of two documented bites from keepers in N. America and two in Africa. Three of those four had pain, tingling, and localized swelling.

For lack of sufficient knowledge, out of an abundance of caution, I treat them as potentially medically significant. To me, that is the safe and sane approach. I am always gloved and99% of the time I use a hook (the only reason I did not have a hook for those pics is because he was chilly from being shipped and so was sluggish.)

2 Likes

My leo Indy! Just got him yesterday he is really active and like to be held. Uploading: 20200705_144652.jpg…

7 Likes

Thanks for the info. Glad you take precautions.

1 Like

My first Gonyosoma. He is a w/c male. Picked him up Saturday. I plan on building him a pretty nice setup once he is out of quarantine.

5 Likes

Make sure to take him to the vet and get him tested/treated for parasites. Most wild caught animals will have them since their prey is known for carrying various worms.

1 Like

My new girl. I was going to go with a super tiger, but I’ve never really been a fan of that morph. So I decided on her.
37.5% Kalatoa Tiger 100% het Pied. And she is tiny!!

10 Likes

She is a stunner :heart_eyes:

1 Like

O my goodness, isn’t that the cutest face ever

1 Like

Thank you @eaglereptiles! I thought so too. She’s really stunning in person and hopefully one day my photo skills will improve and I’ll be able to show her off properly.
She does have a cute face, thank you Riley!

3 Likes

Meliodas- mangrove monitor rescue

11 Likes

That’s a beautiful monitor, I’ve always wanted a red or yellow ackie, just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
And good for you for giving a home for rescues, that’s needed in our hobby and my hats off to you.

2 Likes